Sponsored by:

Another two post lift question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:54 AM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another two post lift question

I just installed a two post lift in my newly completed garage, but can't figure out the best location to place the lifting pads under the 993. I have a Hanmecson 10VSM (same as Greg Smith Atlas PV10), and the arms are too long for a short wheelbase car like the 993 when I try to use the regular jacking points around the perimeter of the car.

Any suggestions or underside pictures of your 993 on a lift you can share?
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the Greg Smith Altas 9000lb lift, and I separated the two posts by about 14" more than stock, and then extended the balance cables to match. I did that by welding double threaded sleeve on 3/4 threaded rod, and using that to give an extra 14" extension to the cables. Works like a charm, and the long arms of the lift hit the front and back jack points on the 993 perfectly.

I also usually use hockey pucks on top of the lift pads, which may depend on how the arms are constructed so they do not hit the rocker panels.

I also spray-painted "run-way" lines so I can center a car, since I want an even load on both pillars.

Check out my site : http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Two_Post_Lift

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 AM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perry, I lust after your garage, lifts, and is that a Mk1 GTI? I lust after that too.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

I'm off to the sporting goods store for a set of pucks.

The other white car in question is a 83 GTI, the car I lusted for in high school after I read the Nov '82 Car & Driver article. By the time I graduated with a real job, VW had moved on to the MkII 16v which was my first new car I ever bought. I was hoping to find that car again, but a carfax report a few years ago showed it had been junked....so I ended up getting the car that started me down this long slippery slope. Here's another picture of the garage after I moved my cars in (pls excuse the wide angle lens distortion).
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perry, nice garage, nicer contents! my DD is a '92 GTi. What is the Benz?

Paul
Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny how we go to the VW. I had a '78 Scirocco as my first car, then a '76 I made into my first wheel-to-wheel racer about 5 years later. If only I could find a survivor.............
Old 11-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Shizznik
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet garage dude! My DD is an '08 R32............I was thinking of one day buying a nice 1988 16V GTi, like you it is the car that sent me on this wonderful journey of loving everything about automobilia!!
Now if only I can get my wife to go along with that 575 that I found in my favorite color combo.........
Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
spdfrk
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice garage...is the eurovan the tow vehicle for those hot rods in the garage?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car was a '85 VW GTI (first year of the MKII). I loved this car....bought it with 50k on the clock, sold it (to a "recycler") with 189k on the odometer when the tranny was gone. Had the Koni adjustable shocks, strut bar brace, pirelli "P" wheels, etc. Ride quality was absolutely abysmal with the Koni shocks--and it understeered pretty badly at the limits, but it was SO much fun.....

Lots of good memories--and it was the car I taught my wife (then girlfriend) how to drive a manual tranny. To this day, she refuses to buy a car with an automatic tranny as her main car--in fact she doesn't like driving our Cayenne as feels disconnected from the car when she isn't shifting.

Here is a pic taken right after I got the car at age 16. Man that was some haircut I had back then.....

Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that we've hijacked the thread to go down memory lane............how did we survive, let alone have fond memories, with 75-90 hp? And to think I've come full-circle with my automotive rollerskate.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's just something about the VW/Porsche family tie that starts us out in one and leads to another. My first car was an Inca Brown metallic 4 door 1979 Rabbit.....LOVED that car! Moved to an '83 Red GTI, had a few Scirocco's over the years. Graduated to 944's and now hit the peek (993). Love me some German engineering!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Perry, the pucks won't solve this if your arms are too long for the car's lift points (unless I am misunderstanding something).
Did the lift come with saddle pads? They would sit on the lift arm and are good for short wheel-based cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

The hockey puck will help if I can use a lifting point more inboard towards the center of the car. Without the pucks, the arms of the lift will hit the bottom side of the car when trying to lift . Even with my longer wheelbase cars, when I use a lifting point further inboard, the arms come really close to the bottom sides of the car without the pucks.

My lift didn't come with the lifting arm saddles pads, I guess I could just put a hockey puck on one of those arms directly?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Originally Posted by civerson4
Here is a pic taken right after I got the car at age 16. Man that was some haircut I had back then.....
Thats a great hairdoo. My GF/wife had a picture of me in front of my 89 GTI 16v made into a poster about 17 years ago; I had my Top Gun Aviator sunglasses, hair gelled and wearing my rolled up denim shorts...I chuckle everytime I walk by that poster, I'll have to move it to the garage when I start decorating.

I have to admit, even though the GTI feels woefully underpowered today, I still get a big grin when I take it out. Funny thing is that they sure seemed fast back then.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luvmy356
The hockey puck will help if I can use a lifting point more inboard towards the center of the car. Without the pucks, the arms of the lift will hit the bottom side of the car when trying to lift . Even with my longer wheelbase cars, when I use a lifting point further inboard, the arms come really close to the bottom sides of the car without the pucks.

My lift didn't come with the lifting arm saddles pads, I guess I could just put a hockey puck on one of those arms directly?
I see, so part of the issue is a bit more clearance, the puck is the answer!

I wouldn't put a puck on the bare arm... would probably be OK but that would make be a bit nervous. Have someone fab a simple saddle and bolt a puck to it. That would work well!

EDIT: or you could just buy these I guess http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Sl...ter-p/tpsp.htm

Quick Reply: Another two post lift question