Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 996 3-spoke steering wheel: darn slippery slope!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, what a fantastic deal!!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

We all hate you for that one, great deal!

Now post some pics of it installed!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
They are the former Clair Porsche/Audi, which was taken over by the Prime Motors group, and now reside in Westwood near the Rojo gas station and MB of Westwood dealership.
I thouht they were renamed to Westwood Porsche (that's how they presented themselves when I called them two weeks ago).

But no, I would not go to the dealer. I really doubt that they would be willing to replace the steering wheel with a non-993 wheel. Nor do i believe that they would do a good job if they agreed to do it.

I'd do it myself. As a matter fo fact, I'm planning to install a Momo wheel in mine. The problem is that I need to get long T-30 torx driver. And some time too
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually... as of about 2 months ago there is _no_ emissions checks in MA. They just hook up the OBD2 cars to the computer. With OBD1 cars it's even easier.

Readiness codes that Mark mentioned are the codes stored by a computer. They are read from assorted sensors that tell the ECU that things are OK. They reset after battery disconect and don't set for the next 50-100 miles or so. Which is logical, as the car needs to re-gather the data from teh sensors to make some new conclusions.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I thouht they were renamed to Westwood Porsche (that's how they presented themselves when I called them two weeks ago).

But no, I would not go to the dealer. I really doubt that they would be willing to replace the steering wheel with a non-993 wheel. Nor do i believe that they would do a good job if they agreed to do it.
I can't keep track, but yes, that's the dealership. I go there sometimes to get parts. They had a 997 PDK test drive last weekend. It was lots of fun, but I like the old-school looks and feel of the 993 much better than the 997. Plus, having driven my cousin's BMW with paddle shifters, I had trouble remembering that pulling back on the button was NOT upshifting on the PDK. Oh well.

Actually... as of about 2 months ago there is _no_ emissions checks in MA. They just hook up the OBD2 cars to the computer. With OBD1 cars it's even easier.

Readiness codes that Mark mentioned are the codes stored by a computer. They are read from assorted sensors that tell the ECU that things are OK. They reset after battery disconect and don't set for the next 50-100 miles or so. Which is logical, as the car needs to re-gather the data from teh sensors to make some new conclusions.
Oh really. Now that I think of it, they just plugged in the OBD plug into my car when I had it inspected. The guy was impressed that I knew where it was.

Sorry to repeat myself, but what exactly do I have to worry about concerning the readiness codes?

Also, can someone explain the differences between the different GT3 wheels?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:54 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's absolutely nothing to worry about with rediness code.

if you disconnect the battery, the readiness code goes off. That means that you can not properly read OBD2. However, readiness code comes back after driving 50-100 miles. Standard OBD2 behavior for any car, not just Porsche.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

There's absolutely nothing to worry about with rediness code.

if you disconnect the battery, the readiness code goes off. That means that you can not properly read OBD2. However, readiness code comes back after driving 50-100 miles. Standard OBD2 behavior for any car, not just Porsche.
Okay, thanks. I'm going to call Jerry today at EPE.

BTW, I cannot tell by your avatar, but do you have a midnight blue C4? If so, was it at EPE in late August? Blue was my first choice, as it is my favorite color, but I could not find one that I liked. Can't complain with Porsche Guards red though.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Normal" driving will not set all of the readiness codes. ovaer a very long period of time it is likely they will all reset.
Since you just got the car you have a lot of time... no worries.
Even if all codes are not set when the time comes there are ways to set them. Again, no worries for you now. I only mention this for others who might read this now or later. If I were close to smog check time I might wait and do the wheel afterwards. Just easier that way.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Take a road trip to PA and I will install it for free and give you a beer and a smile!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Funny, my car is actually from PA. I bought it from Holt, and the previous owner was from the area.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is a '95 C2 cab in Aventurine green. The pic was taken in the fog in California on the way home from there.

Aventurine can look like a bunch of different colors depending on the lighting conditions. Many people thought it was blue, initially. My color-blind GF thinks it's black
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aventurine can look like a bunch of different colors depending on the lighting conditions. Many people thought it was blue, initially. My color-blind GF thinks it's black
Sho does! I was in a car show last weekend and somebody asked me what "beautiful" shade of gray was my car. There is a reason it changes so - there is no green in the paint. Black, blue, 2 shades of pearlescent white and maybe something else.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

THAT IS A GREAT DEAL!!!!

I will give you $200 right now! Call today though!

While we all know that this is an insanely great price for the SW or the airbag, much less both, I feel for the poor seller. I bet they were a little miffed.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Mine is a '95 C2 cab in Aventurine green. The pic was taken in the fog in California on the way home from there.

It's so hard to see in your foggy avatar. I test-drove your exact car at Holt Motorsports where I bought my car. I wanted to drive both a Varioram and a non-Varioram car. It is certainly a beautiful color!

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
THAT IS A GREAT DEAL!!!!

I will give you $200 right now! Call today though!

While we all know that this is an insanely great price for the SW or the airbag, much less both, I feel for the poor seller. I bet they were a little miffed.
The seller brought a sh*tload of stuff to the private auction. A lot of it seemed to come from his GT3. I don't feel bad for him, but I am certainly greatful that he sold it to me for that price. I think he mostly wanted it out of his garage and into the hands of a fellow enthusiast. He sold so many things at insanely low prices--45 bucks for a collapsible spare?? Otherwise, he could have easily put it on eBay. Sorry, but I already called EPE and it's either going in tomorrow or Friday. Besides, since it does have the airbag, if I wanted to be disrespectful to the seller, I would sell it for more than $200. Anyway, I'll post pics soon.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a larger version:

And another unusual variation of that color under the grey Arizona sun:

Finally, a true representation of the actual color in Utah (see, it changes state by state :

Last edited by nile13; 11-19-2008 at 03:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 996 3-spoke steering wheel: darn slippery slope!