993 Forum 1995-1998

timing chain cover gasket replacement & crank bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:03 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default timing chain cover gasket replacement & crank bolt

How are they related you ask? Well, I want to replace the timing chain covers and it appears that I have to remove the crank bolt to remove the aluminum bracket that is partially covering the right timing chain cover.

Anyone have any DIY methods to remove the crank bolt. Ive tried my impact but no luck. Id like to hear ideas on homemade spanner for crankbolt removal OR methods on getting timing chain covers off with AC compressor bracket in place...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I got the cover off without removing the crank bolt. I think Ill leave that alone for right now.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:16 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For future reference, if you need to remove it you can secure the crank from the opposite end. If the flywheel is still on there is a tool that bolts in place and catches a couple of teeth... or you can make you won.
If the flywheel is off you can reinsert a couple of flywheel bolts and use a prybar to hold the crank.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

He might be doing it with the engine in the car, in that case have someone in the car stand on the brakes while the car is in gear...if the clutch is good you should be able to take the bolt off.

Mind you , if he is using an impact tool, then its likely the engine is out. Then follow Mark's instructions, and I would use a long breaker bar than run an impact tool on a nut on the end of a crankshaft.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to bump this one..

I am also interested if theres a way to slide the compressor mounting bracket off without moving the crank pulley ?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jackal2513
sorry to bump this one..

I am also interested if theres a way to slide the compressor mounting bracket off without moving the crank pulley ?
Nope - that crank pulley is not that big of a deal anyways. The mount goes behind the pulley and is on long studs - so it needs clearance to be removed.

Quick Reply: timing chain cover gasket replacement & crank bolt