Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car rides way too rough after Bilstein HD/M030's. May have been a bad choice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts
Default reply

xxxxxx

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Hello fellow 993 owners...
<snip> Also, it seems to waver to the left and right sometimes for no reason.

this is most likely due to having -1.85 degrees of front camber and minimal toe.

< snip>

I miss my softer ride and the ability to easily go over speed bumps and pull into my driveway quickly without scraping the underneath.

yeah lowering the ride height has benefits and drawbacks, unfortunately many of us either intentionally or unintentionally lead others down the path that lowered ride height = better. better for what we need to ask ourselves.

The ignition wires are shot (on the underneath of the car?) and he said it's a pretty big job and that he'd check into pricing. Ughhhh...

yes, it is a pretty big job for someone that has never done it before. it ook me nearly 8 hours to replace plugs / wires / rotors / caps a few months ago.
dealing with the wires in the looms as they pass under the varioram intake is NOT fun.

Any suggestions on how to reverse this harsh ride to a non-harsh ride while keeping the suspension as it is now?

call Steve Weiner, he will advise you as to what springs and ride height are appropriate for your application.
Do you think that raising the front end a bit would really change the handling and harshness that much?

probably yes, but not in a way that would make you happy.

good luck

craig
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+993 on what others have said about the alignment and tires. Check your pressures, and if those tires are shot, they could be a big part of the problem. You'd also be amazed at how switching to higher-profile tires can reduce the ride harshness. I bet a set of Cup 17's with a more moderate alignment would really change the feel of the car.

Then again, this could just be a matter of personal taste. I drive my car on the street with PSS9's set to full stiff with 18" tires, and don't think it's too harsh.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 246 Posts

If i'm in town this weekend, ur welcome to drive my car since we have the same setup. It's fine for me, however I don't drive in DC much. If I had to drive in DC, pss9 would of been my choice. You can also hook up with David since he's running pss9s.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The true test is to have your wife hop on board and ask what she thinks about a stiffer ride.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The true test is to have your wife hop on board and ask what she thinks about a stiffer ride.
That's asking for trouble IMHO. Be a bit patient. A big part of your problem may not be just the ride but also that your expectations weren't met. Start with adjusting the alignment and possibly raising the ride height a bit. Live with it for a while then decide your next move. Problems like this are best handled one step at a time starting with things that are likely to give you the best bang for the buck. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

This is when it's good to have your shop close to your house instead of an hour away. Oh well, I'm lucky as heck to have this car in the first place (no one else in my whole division of 500 some people has a 911!) so I'll make it work in the end. I am cutting and pasting all your pertinent comments to a work document so when I meet with my repair guy on Monday, I can go over some of these questions and ideas with him. Some of the replies you guys posted have gone over my head so that's why I'm bringing them to the mechanic.

Thanks Trinitony for the offer to drive your automatic 993. I kind of need someone to drive MY car though to see if I'm just being a puss, or if it's really out of whack. Driving someone else's car would be fun but I don't think that's what I actually need right now. Now, if you want to let me have it for a week or so, I'd be cool with that.

What a great community we have. Hardly anyone has lambasted me for what I did and how it turned out. On some forums, I'm sure the trolls rear their ugly heads at situations like this and bash the initial poster pretty badly.

This isn't going to kill me. It's not going to ruin my year. It will get corrected one way or another at some point in the near future. Compared to world famine and poverty, it's nothing at all but a minor middle class irritation.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get together with someone and trade cars for a 20 minute drive. :-)
Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get together with someone and trade cars for a 20 minute drive. :-)
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

hmmmm.........
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
If an average human ******* were stretched until all its wrinkles were smoothed out, it could hold a basketball.
Let's try to stay on topic, gent.

Andreas
Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Yep, I think we need someone else to drive your car with a similar set up to see if they think you have an issue.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Yep, I think we need someone else to drive your car with a similar set up to see if they think you have an issue.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about tire pressures? Should be 36/43 for 18 wheels. Surprisingly, lower than normal pressure can cause the car to feel crashiness.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Here is what you do....
Raise up the car 1/2 in, so you can get in & out of your drive way.
Then get the car realigned, back to as close to stock specs as you can. If you do have worn tires, this will change the alignment settings, so make sure you do in fact have good rubber.

If you do need new tires, get some that ride nicer, tires can drastically change the ride. I would suggest the Sumi HTZ III's there cheap, quiet & ride on the softer side. They grip just as well as the S02's.

If that doesn't cut it for you, put your stock springs back in, then dial in the ride height, or get the M033 spring.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Here is what you do....
Raise up the car 1/2 in, so you can get in & out of your drive way.
Then get the car realigned, back to as close to stock specs as you can. If you do have worn tires, this will change the alignment settings, so make sure you do in fact have good rubber.

If you do need new tires, get some that ride nicer, tires can drastically change the ride. I would suggest the Sumi HTZ III's there cheap, quiet & ride on the softer side. They grip just as well as the S02's.

If that doesn't cut it for you, put your stock springs back in, then dial in the ride height, or get the M033 spring.
My head is spinning around.

Seeing that I probably can't hook up with another Rennlister till next week (Unless Tony is around before that... Tony? You there today? I'll come over!) I'll just bring all your comments to my mechanic and see what he says. Alot of collective wisdom here. We didn't save my stock shocks so going back to those I don't think is an option... Besides, all the work to put them in - they have to work in some way here.

Maybe it is the tires. The inflation pressure should just be what it was when I left his shop, I'm sure they're right.... right? I'll have him school me on all this on Monday.

Steve

Quick Reply: Car rides way too rough after Bilstein HD/M030's. May have been a bad choice...