Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car rides way too rough after Bilstein HD/M030's. May have been a bad choice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Steve - great attitude. I hope the retuning of the suspension setup gives you something you can truely enjoy!
+1. Nice to see the positive attitude return. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
GET AN ALIGNMENT.

I swear to all that is holy, this has been mentioned about 993 times in this thread, yet it seems to be overlooked. Your alignment is pretty aggressive for the type of driver you seem to be.

now that this is out of the way, I can talk to you a bit about the S55 and W220 Mercedes in general.

The w220 is really a wonderful vehicle. It is incredibly smooth, very quiet, and super easy to drive. I only have an S500 because I don't need more power in this type of vehicle, but it is quick enough for me. The drivetrains are also quite solid. The 55k engine is seemingly bulletproof, but there have been issues with the blower clutches, and the blower in general. That can certainly get expensive, but keep in mind that a lot of these engines were placed in E55s, which people seem to abuse like redheaded stepchildren. The 5 speed 722.6 transmission has been around since I believe 1998 and is quite strong, with no issues besides a slight leak in an electrical connector (which is rare in later model cars, i.e. after 2002). The remainder of the drivetrain and steering are fine.

The S55 will come with the Active Body Control suspension. Unlike the S500, which has the air suspension airmatic, the ABC is a complex system of extremely high pressure powersteering fluid that controls each wheel of the car independently. This causes the big boat of a car to stay relatively flat during cornering, and have fairly decent handling (for a car that weights 4500lbs). The ABC valve block can get clogged/fail and that can be expensive, but that is also a fairly uncommon failure. Aside from that, with regular maintenance (fluid changes) the ABC suspension is fairly reliable. Some have had to replace lines, but they are not terribly expensive. The powersteering pump is used to create pressure in the suspension, and they are not hatefully expensive. Claims of "every problem costs $4k to fix" are overblown and the result of anecdotal stories where an owner isn't expecting an expensive repair, and dumps it because "it was so expensive to fix and unreliable".

Now, keep in mind that these cars have a lot of electronics. TPMS, heated/cooled/massaging/dynamic seats, sensors for every fluid and system, etc. These can cause problems and can be somewhat expensive to fix. But only in extremely rare instances do these issues cause a condition where the car can not be driven. Typically, shutting the car off and restarting will cure "phantom errors" that do pop up on occasion.

These cars are not as expensive or hard to fix as people think. The engine is just a blown 5.5 3v v8. No magic. The electronics operate on a Can-Bus which can be a bit confusing, but actually makes things pretty easy since you don't have to chase wires all throughout the car. A good indie mechanic, and www.parts.com for huge discounts on parts can have you going for a lot less than a dealer.

Warranties are awesome, but $3k per year is more than enough to keep an S55 running well without issue. Maintenance is literally moron simple and infrequent, and aside from that, if you have some savings for a "bigger problem", when it crops up every 2 years or so, its not problem.

I wouldn't discount an S55, but I would try to get one with a warranty for at least a few months to a year. That way you can get an idea of what problems you might run into without taking the hit in the wallet. That said, you should definitely look at an 04-06 because of better quality, materials, and some advantages like DVD based navigation.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what you are looking for. I think having my extreme mustang cobra that is loud, rides hard, and is fast as hell, combined with the smooth, quiet, comfortable S-class is a really nice combination.
You are very knowedgeable about the S Class. Thx for the info. I hope I never have to sell both of my cars for one, but I wouldn't mind selling my BMW for the S one day! I've always admired pretty much everything about the 03-06 S55's.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Steve, I'm sure I'm not alone in this but just wanted to chime and say that I think you made a good choice. Hope the aligment resolves the ride quality issues for you.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Steve, I'm sure I'm not alone in this but just wanted to chime and say that I think you made a good choice. Hope the aligment resolves the ride quality issues for you.
Thanks Louis and others. I didn't mean to provoke such a groundswell of negativity by my initial and some subsequent posts that I made but looking back on them now, I see that I did. Oh well, live and learn. I'm a really slow learner sometimes...
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
dl2491
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap jordan shoes

Welcome to our website:
Edit by John D. - give me a break....
we offer wholesale Nike air jordan shoes,Nike air force one sneakers,Nike retro shoes with discount price,Real cheap Air max shoes,Nike shox shoes series,we carry a large inventory from Nike,including Air force one,Air max,Air jordan,and dunk models.Plus,many other running and basketball kicks from Adidas,Puma,Reebok,and more Air jordan shoes,Air force one sneakers,Nike retro shoes,Real cheap Nike Air max shoes,Nike shox shoes series,Custom all these goods are available here
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dl2491
Welcome to our website:
http://failblog.org/
we offer wholesale Nike air jordan shoes,Nike air force one sneakers,Nike retro shoes with discount price,Real cheap Air max shoes,Nike shox shoes series,we carry a large inventory from Nike,including Air force one,Air max,Air jordan,and dunk models.Plus,many other running and basketball kicks from Adidas,Puma,Reebok,and more Air jordan shoes,Air force one sneakers,Nike retro shoes,Real cheap Nike Air max shoes,Nike shox shoes series,Custom all these goods are available here
This guy doesnt get it.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Welcome to our website:
www.realcheap-nike.com
Who here is tech savvy enough to send a virus bomb to this MF'er?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Welcome to our website:
www.realcheap-nike.com
Hey, thanks for posting. I can't wait to order some shoes today for me and all my Rennlist homies.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris walrod
This guy doesnt get it.

He really should be pimping 3-spoke steering wheels and MY02s.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Hey, thanks for posting. I can't wait to order some shoes today for me and all my Rennlist homies.
Maybe the shoes would help with the ride Steve!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to our website:
www.realcheap-nike.com
The last time I bought something real and cheap was in Amsterdam. I'll never forget her.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Orseolo Inn and Al Ponte Antico are owned by the same people--The Peruch Family.

Looked at the Orseolo Inn- Very nice place as well. Its rated the # 1 B&B in Venice
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html

The Al Ponte Antico, where we booked, is rated the #1 hotel in Venice.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html

This is tripadvisor rating (and Im regular contributor on tripadvisor) feedback but when it comes to travel, I know what Im doing and did my homework. When the same B&B and Hotel are rated #1 and the owners are the same people, that's very impressive. And reviews, by travelers, have high remarks for both. Its like having your cake and eating it to!!

We didnt book just because it said "#1". I mean take a look at the place---the views, feedback from travelers, location, and combine that will the culture and its a receipe for a kick *** stay. We could stay the Westin (which is VERY nice---beach hotel, pool, spa, ect) on Lido with several from the wedding party (and Im in the wedding) but just my cup of tea for this trip. I have a Raintree timeshare with the Westin(s) so and I have stayed there more times than I can count.

[QUOTE=95 C4 993;6017051]
Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Since we're so totally off topic at this point, I'll add in my fave for Venice, great owners and VERY reasonable for what you get. We loved it here...

http://www.locandaorseolo.com/en/

The Orseolo and Al Ponte Antico are owned by the same people--The Peruch Family.

Looked at that one as well. Very nice place as well.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 11-20-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Brought the car into my indie today to have some adjustments made. Decided after talking to the mechanic that I'd leave it close to the way it is for a while (no increase to the ride height) and drive it this way through the winter. He did make some slight adjustments to the alignment, things I don't really understand and it does seem to ride better. I am taking speed bumps slower, no problem. Pulling into the garage slower, no problem, no scraping.

I really wanted (have been watching) this car and am glad that it's sold now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...fCarsQ5fTrucks

I was thinking of selling my BMW to get it (keeping the 993 now). I'd have to come out of pocket $20k in addition to the BMW to get this car. Now... where to find that $20k for when another one comes up for sale

It's good not to be able to get everything you want in life, though. I'll probably never be able to pull off getting this MB, but I keep trying. Having that carrot in front of me makes me work and save harder. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just grateful I have a job today, 2 cool cars, and some money in the bank. People are losing their jobs everywhere! Scary times.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 11-20-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have the revised alignment specs?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Do you have the revised alignment specs?
No, unfortunately I don't. He drove the car when I first got there and thought it drove fine, amazingly fine actually. We decided that he'd make but a slight adjustment in the car, but I really don't even know what that is. I realize that I'm supposed to report back more information about it here, but I just don't have any due to lack of car knowledge.

In any case, it's me, my 993, and the cold winter ahead - together, united, happy, praying for little snow so I can drive it as much as possible. If after a winter of getting used to my "new" car I want to make any sweeping changes, they'll only happen in the spring.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone. Over and out...

Quick Reply: Car rides way too rough after Bilstein HD/M030's. May have been a bad choice...