993 Forum 1995-1998

RS Side Skirts installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Car looks great!

Just to temper the enthusiasm, I'll add that while the RS skirts look great at first, the little plastic tabs break over time (for no apparent reason) and the skirts start pulling away from the body all down the length. These are clearly not designed for a 10-year life. I installed mine despite knowing about the issue, but I honestly didn't expect they'd be breaking in 2-3 yrs.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Car looks great!

Just to temper the enthusiasm, I'll add that while the RS skirts look great at first, the little plastic tabs break over time (for no apparent reason) and the skirts start pulling away from the body all down the length. These are clearly not designed for a 10-year life. I installed mine despite knowing about the issue, but I honestly didn't expect they'd be breaking in 2-3 yrs.
Thanks Eric, I will have to watch for that over time. Since the 'load bearing' attachments are at the front & rear of the skirts and very secure, I think a little 3M moulding tape would work fine in place of the tabs. We don't have much temperature fluctuation here in California, so I am hoping the tabs don't get as brittle. Time will tell......Paul
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Dam, that is HOT! How much were they, & how hard to install?
Now all you need is to remove the bumperetts!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Dam, that is HOT! How much were they, & how hard to install?
I would get them from Gert, http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93045.htm They are about $1100 at the current Euro/Dollar exchange rate. He includes all the extra little parts you need for the install. As for difficulty, not too bad if you take your time. The correct install requires drilling some small holes in your rear fender panels, but some have attached them with 2-sided moulding tape instead. I drilled the holes because I am not going back!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I think I might take back my comment about painting the side skirts. In pics of real RSs it seems the skirts are black. Is that true for stock cars?

pstraub, IMO because of GR is so bright and the wheels so dark, on your car though the balance between black and red would require keeping the bumperettes or painting the skirts.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
The RS wing I sold on ebay was my original Better Bodies fiberglass wing. I just bought the entire RS aerokit from Gert Carnewal (very good value when you buy the entire kit together vs. individually). So I installed the factory RS wing along with the side skirts (I already had the factory splitters).
Just curious, but what are the differences between the BB fiberglass wing and the factory RS wing?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nuff
Just curious, but what are the differences between the BB fiberglass wing and the factory RS wing?
Not much. Aftermarket fiberglass (FRP) RS rear wing is a great way to save some money on an RS project. The one I had looked excellent and I would never pay the premium for an OEM part. Front splitters is a different story, though.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Side skirts look great; congrats.
A suggestion; be careful when jacking the car up from the side jack points; catch those nice new skirts and you'll break the tabs that help attach it to the body.
I have now broken them on BOTH sides of my car.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

FWIW the satin black looks fantastic and is the correct finish.

Very Nice!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by fnckr
I think I might take back my comment about painting the side skirts. In pics of real RSs it seems the skirts are black. Is that true for stock cars?
Yes, the skirts on a real RS are always black, they have to be sanded down and prepped if you want to paint them. It's a great look on some cars, I love the painted skirts on Bill Verburg's 993, but I already had a black accent theme I was working with.

Originally Posted by Nuff
The BB wing was open inside, as you look down through the grill. The OEM is completely finished/walled off as you look into it. The OEM wing actually fits right down into the deck lid opening, the BB wing overlapped the deck lid. Honestly, it would be hard to justify and extra $$$, but I had never seen the OEM wing in person so I had to do it just to satisfy my curiosity. I do prefer the OEM wing, no question about it. However, approx $3K vs. $700, that's a tough call. In the end, I just really wanted the full factory aerokit....Paul
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Side skirts look great; congrats.
A suggestion; be careful when jacking the car up from the side jack points; catch those nice new skirts and you'll break the tabs that help attach it to the body.
I have now broken them on BOTH sides of my car.
Good suggestion Rick, thanks. I have noticed that you need to be very precise on where your jack pads hit the jack points before starting to lift the car!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pstraub
... I think a little 3M moulding tape would work fine in place of the tabs. ...
Hmm. I can't imagine how that would work. I have stared and stared at those broken mounting tabs and just can't imagine a good way to tighten up the gap now that they're broken. The skirts don't have a flat surface along their length that you can affix directly to the car.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Hmm. I can't imagine how that would work. I have stared and stared at those broken mounting tabs and just can't imagine a good way to tighten up the gap now that they're broken. The skirts don't have a flat surface along their length that you can affix directly to the car.
It looks like you could run a long strip of the 2-sided moulding tape along the inside edge of the skirts, but have it overlap the edge of the skirt by about 1/2", that 1/2" section would attach to the long, flat surface on the bottom of the car. You would only be using one sticky side of the tape. There would be no material visible on the outside of the skirt or car. I am probably not explaining it well, but I think it would work. Just a thought. Paul
Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great

Quick Reply: RS Side Skirts installed!!