993 Forum 1995-1998

Help decoding a CarFax for a potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by holy911
I had a good education from my P mechanic the other day. The thing to look for is when the car has hopped to several auctions and different states in a short span. We reviewed the Carfax on a pretty 993 with ~80 miles. Looks pretty in the pictures.

The CF shows it has hopped from Texas to Florida 3 times in one year, all auctions. He said this is often a way to, I'll say, "launder" the title. It could have been a flood vehicle from the past years hurricane, repaired at different shops, who sold it to the auction wholesalers, then hops around between states. Somewhere along the line, it loses it's salvage title after much paperwork and filing around.

Now this pretty car is not so pretty anymore. However, it could also be a great car. But the CF history is too questionable.
Hmm...good point. I forgot about the possibility of title laundering. Maybe I'd reject in the case of a $200K car, but with a 993 we do need a certain leap of faith. A good PPI will uncover accident history. Flood damage is a little more difficult to detect, but I know some of the signs include discoloration in the interior near the "water line" and the tell tale moldy smell.

Seems obvious, but ask the owner about the history. Fortunately, this is a PP who was likely much more diligent himself than a dealer.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful with Carfax! I tested it with the VIN from my Jetta, and nothing came up, although in the 11 years I have had it, it definitely has seen some battles. I was lightly rear-ended a few years ago, and that was listed. However, when I was in college, I was parked near a 5-story house when it snowed two feet (went to Dartmouth in Hanover, NH...it snowed all the time). It was heavy snow and it slid down the roof onto my car. It had a huge 3-inch deep by 3 ft in diameter crater, and the whole roof had to be replaced. No sign of this on Carfax whatsoever.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Be careful with Carfax! ...................
Exactly my point in post #3, when I typed:

"And beware of CARFAX reports. OFTEN, there is missing accident info, etc. If the owner decides to not report the accident to their insurance carrier or file an accident report, the accident will never be reported to CARFAX. In addition, some States and insurance companies are well known for reporting VERY late to CARFAX. Recently a nearby State send the past three years of reports to CARFAX all at the same time in August".
Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Carfax little value, thorough PPI lot of value
Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Company-owned cars (and this can include the salesman's Malibu OR the company owner's Porsche), may have only have stop-loss insurance for liability, and damage is self-insured. These cars can be absolutely shredded and it will never show up on Carfax.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Exactly my point in post #3, when I typed:

"And beware of CARFAX reports. OFTEN, there is missing accident info, etc. If the owner decides to not report the accident to their insurance carrier or file an accident report, the accident will never be reported to CARFAX. In addition, some States and insurance companies are well known for reporting VERY late to CARFAX. Recently a nearby State send the past three years of reports to CARFAX all at the same time in August".
My roof was replaced in 2001, and my insurance company paid for it, so I don't know why it isn't on Carfax...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
My roof was replaced in 2001, and my insurance company paid for it, so I don't know why it isn't on Carfax...
Some companies are more dilligent than others about reporting. Back in '01, that was probably even more true.

Quick Reply: Help decoding a CarFax for a potential purchase