Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

NEED HELP: risks of selling a car private party on a Sunday (not kidding)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
+1
I did a cash deal when I sold my 964. Not my idea but I was OK with it.
Not a problem... you just have to plan for contingencies if things seem "odd".

BTW, the buyer is/was a great guy. Nothing smelled fishy throughout the deal... and I knew it was all good when he said "isn't it wierd having all of this cash on the table?" I said "yup, I was just thinking the same thing"

Anyhow, it really is as simple as getting a copy of the check prior, call the bank to verify, do the transaction on Sunday.
No matter what you do you still sweat a little until that check clears many days later
Don't forget the other risk with cash is counterfeits. Even a straight up buyer could unknowingly have shuffled a few fake Franklins into the stack. I don't want to be the d-head who scrutinizes each bill, but I guess assigning the wife or buddy to subtle "cash inspection" duty during the counting ceremony can put your mind at ease whilst not making the buyer uncomfortable.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Most office supply stores sell a "magic marker" that you can swipe a bill to determine if it's legit.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my bank just told me yesterday that they are having a lot of counterfeit cashier's checks showing up. It's just not a good place the world is in right now.
I like cash, with a marker pen. Buy a $300 safe and lock it away.

If you have a bad feeling about the buyer, cancel the showing.
Better safe than sorry.

GL with sale.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Most office supply stores sell a "magic marker" that you can swipe a bill to determine if it's legit.
I guess one can discreetly mark a 350 quantity of $100 bills if $35,000 in cash shows up. Just takes time.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know if it was said before but you do realize that once a cashier's check is written, there is absolutely no way to cancel it (other than by the person or company whose name is written on the check as the receiver of the funds).
i.e. when writing a cashier's, the buyer already commits to giving you the money (given the check is legimate). If he trusts you that much (to have the check written before seing the car), he might as well send it to you before he comes to pick up the car.

Safest for both parties would be for the buyer to come down to inspect the car on a week day so you could both march into the bank afterwards and transfer the money directly to your account.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Perhaps banking rules have changed recently or they may change from state to state but I beg to differ. I, personally, have purchased a cashier's check, made out to a prospective seller and, because the vehicle was not as represented, have walked away from the sale, returned the cashier's check to my issuing bank and have received immediate credit for same. I also know of another instance where a cashier's check was given to a seller and the car was found to be a fake (Shelby GT350). I don't know how but the buyer had the cashier's check voided.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm... Maybe I have misunderstood it then. But that's what I remember the bank allways telling me when I have had them make cashier's checks.
Or is it so that the you can cancel the check you wrote as long as you bring in the original check, but if you give it away, then there's no turning back anymore...
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Hmmm... Maybe I have misunderstood it then. But that's what I remember the bank allways telling me when I have had them make cashier's checks.
Or is it so that the you can cancel the check you wrote as long as you bring in the original check, but if you give it away, then there's no turning back anymore...
They can certainly be cancelled or worst and probably easiest, faked altogether. Cancelling doesn't technically require the old check in-hand, but if I recall, the purchaser of the check gets their money back sooner. If they didn't return the check, I think there's a bit more to it all.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Cash.
Glock.
Mossberg.
YMMV.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 PM
ard
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Update - Sale went smoothly - THANKS everyone

Just wanted to update this thread.

My sale went smoothly. Buyer and I met at the local Wells Fargo branch which was open on Sunday. A friend accompanied me. Buyer inspected and drove the vehicle. After the drive we went and presented his cashier's check made out to me to the Wells Fargo banker who verified its authenticity and deposited it into my account and I handed over the title. The banker said that I would be able to withdraw the funds within 2 business days. We signed 2 copies of a sales agreement I had prepared. We parted ways. Very cordial transaction.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in on this thread. I also want to say that I received PMs offering various forms of assistance before and during the transaction. I did NOT expect that and without naming names I want to publically acknowledge my appreciation for these offers. It is amazing that RL members seem to really go out of their way to help fellow RL'ers. I hope to be able to pay it forward in the future.

Best regards
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ard
Just wanted to update this thread.

My sale went smoothly. Buyer and I met at the local Wells Fargo branch which was open on Sunday. A friend accompanied me. Buyer inspected and drove the vehicle. After the drive we went and presented his cashier's check made out to me to the Wells Fargo banker who verified its authenticity and deposited it into my account and I handed over the title. The banker said that I would be able to withdraw the funds within 2 business days. We signed 2 copies of a sales agreement I had prepared. We parted ways. Very cordial transaction.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in on this thread. I also want to say that I received PMs offering various forms of assistance before and during the transaction. I did NOT expect that and without naming names I want to publically acknowledge my appreciation for these offers. It is amazing that RL members seem to really go out of their way to help fellow RL'ers. I hope to be able to pay it forward in the future.

Best regards
Well, congrats on the smooth sale.
Your bank > mine... they hold my funds for 10 days!

Last edited by MarkD; 11-03-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: lame typo...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 AM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrads on your successful sale.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:37 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ending to the story. All facilitated by Wells Fargo branch being open on a Sunday. (That seems unusual? But great for you!)
Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Perhaps banking rules have changed recently or they may change from state to state but I beg to differ. I, personally, have purchased a cashier's check, made out to a prospective seller and, because the vehicle was not as represented, have walked away from the sale, returned the cashier's check to my issuing bank and have received immediate credit for same. I also know of another instance where a cashier's check was given to a seller and the car was found to be a fake (Shelby GT350). I don't know how but the buyer had the cashier's check voided.
Make the cashier's check payable to you. You can always endorse it and sign it over to the seller. Or, if the sale goes bad, you can easily redeposit it.

I'm glad for your sale, ard!

Quick Reply: NEED HELP: risks of selling a car private party on a Sunday (not kidding)