Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Cup Car feeler revisited..! (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 993 Cup Car feeler revisited..! (pics inside)

Hi guys.

Some of you might remeber the p/x deal I had going on about a year ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=cup

Well, what can I say.. Here we are, a year later and the car is still available, however now at a much better price. This deal is actually affordable to me as things as right now . But there are some questions that come to mind.. The 993RS would be the ideal car to me (comfort spec.). But they are way too expensive right now. This probably should be as expensive, but it isn't. I can get this street registered, but as the car sits right now, it wouldn't even be possible to ride with it on the street.. So a couple of questions arises:

1. What would it cost to bring this car to 993RS spec in terms of comfort?

I am thinking thin cabin isolation, new leather/alcantara headliner, full 993RS carpet set, driver and passenger recaro buckets, etc. How much for retrofitting an A/C system? Is this a bad idea? I don't mind the manual window cranks or having a car without a stereo but a working A/C would be nice..
What about the upper/lower dash and the centerpiece? Not too complicated I guess?

2. How durable is the RSR engine? If use for combined street and track use, how often would it need anything other than the normal oil changes and regular maintenance? Are we talking big bucks in maintenance here even if it's not redlined evertime I get in the car?

3. What else is there to think about? My sport cats covers the emission problems, but is the BBS mags are not ideal for street use. Is it worth swtiching to regular wheels or is it better just to buy centerlock alu wheels?
What about the carbon dash with the STACK instruments? Is it tough to replace this with a regular dashboard with the regular instruments?

Sorry for all the Q:s but I just now realized that this is actually affordable and I don't want to miss the deal of a lifetime and for a good while just because I didn't ask.. It seems now that my alternative is starting from a std. Carrera and turning that into RS spec. just like everyone else here on the forum (slippery slope). 9M heads etc etc.. The slope is loooong and expensive. Now here I have the chance to start from the bottom of the slope and climb upwards. (Does that make sense). Turn this trackbeast into a car that is usable on the street (993RS comfort spec). Possible even sell some of the super exclusive 993 cup parts on the way to finance the transformation? I even though of replacing the engine with an upgraded varioram engine and part with the cup-engine to finance the other stuff. But on the other hand I don't want to mess too much with the rarity of this 1 of 450 original cup car. I think the conversion from cup to interior a la 993 RS comfort spec. won't hurt the uniqueness too much as you see people converion 993RS to RSCS and vice versa. Anyhow, thanks for reading, I hope I didn't bore you guys too much. I always get great feedback from RL regardless, that's why I love this place !

Here is the text and pictures as in the ad:
----------------------------------------------------------------
"Porsche 993 CUP 1995 upd. to RSR
Vehicle Description

Porsche 993 CUP 1995 upd. to RSR
Vehicle Description

Porsche 1995 Cup car ser no: WPOZZZ99ZSSS398073

Engine no: 83680510

Gearbox no: 007747

ONS wagenpass and Fahrzeugbrief with the car.

Short summary: 1995 runned by Marco Werner in Carrera Cup. 1996 Some races in Supercup with Marco Werner.

1996 sold to Jurgen Von Gartzen of JVG Racing. Used in 3 SuperCup races and some track days. 1998 only some trackdays and prepare training for 1999 GTP season. 1999 raced in GTP serie. 2000 raced at Veedol Cup and 24 hour Nurburgring, finished 11 th.After season updated to RSR look. RSR wheels and arch extensions. Roock racing suspension for the Nurburgring, 120 l fuelcell etc. 2001 used in Veedol cup, GTP, and 24 h Nurburgring finished 9 th. Engine rebuild by Irmgartz motorsport.
2002 only raced at Nurburgring 24 h and finished 10th. 2003 only one race, in Veedol Cup and finished 2nd in class. Spring 2003 sold to Thomas Schmitz. Summer 2003 engine rebuild for Mr Schmitz by ***** Neubauer in Cologne (pictures can be sent from the renovation).

Body: Original Cup 993 car with Matter welded in rollcage. RSR conversion with bolt on wheels arch extensions and side skirts made of GFK. Lower skirts plastic. Front bonnet made of GFK with hole for refilling the fuel cell. Rear lid made of carbon. With rear spoiler + GT 2 carbon boomerang on alloy flapps. Front and rear bumper with air scoops.

Engine: Original 993 Cup engine, just complete rebild 1,5 hours ago. Spec is uprated and modified with RSR pistons modified for 4,8 RSR camms. Carillo rod, polished channels, wider inlets channels, 72 mm trottle bodies, Cargraphic DMO race exhaust with 45 mm spagettis + catalytic converters and special mufflers (defusor can be used with this system)

Gearbox: Uprated to GT2 gears and especially made for Nurburgring with long 6th gears. Gearbox has only 12 hours since rebuild by JVG racing. Driveshafts are GT2.

Suspension: Bilstein GT2 C19 with push and rebound adjustable. Special long dive shafts for Nurburgring. Great suspension – very quick and forgiving. All suspension parts including wishbones etc were replaced by JVG racing and everything is in good condition.

Interior: Big Matter welded in rollcage with X at the doors. Carbon dash with multi STACK instruments.

Fuel system: 120 l fuelcell with separate 1 l catch tank in case of extra downforces.

Wheel: Magnesium BBS

Condition: Over all good condition.

Delivery terms: Free Sweden."

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The overfenders look out of proportion somehow.

Harry
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

That car is never going to be streetable, because of the intake.

If you want a street car, look at a true RS a true RS/CS or a well done clone of either of those. It isn't cheap to buld a clone right.

It sounds like you want a well set up 993 or at most an RS.

The fenders on that car are GT2, w/ mods at the front( and I guess at the back too). Not sure why they would do the front(it just reduces air flow to the oil coolers), in the back that mod is common to relieve heat issues.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know they are GT2/RSR overfenders but they don't look quite right to me ie not an exact replica/originals but maybe it seems that way in the photos.

harry
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
That car is never going to be streetable, because of the intake.

If you want a street car, look at a true RS a true RS/CS or a well done clone of either of those. It isn't cheap to buld a clone right.

It sounds like you want a well set up 993 or at most an RS.

The fenders on that car are GT2, w/ mods at the front( and I guess at the back too). Not sure why they would do the front(it just reduces air flow to the oil coolers), in the back that mod is common to relieve heat issues.
That's what I needed to hear. I guess I'm passing on thisone. But hey, at least I did my homework and noone can blame me for not trying.. Bill, why does the intake render this car non-suitable for street use? Just curious..

I agree.. An RS would be more suitable but much more expensive.. I guess with this car I'm starting too far from where I want to go..

Best, V
Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Bill, why does the intake render this car non-suitable for street use? Just curious..

Best, V
Hey Viggo,

In my opinion, the intake is optimized for top of the range operation. Would not work at the lower spectrum. You may be best off to get a good RS clone

Good luck
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

The intakes on those are designed for racing, they don't really have an idle circuit
Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Viggo,

Very tempting car, I understand your situation . However, I agree with the others that a well done RS or RSCS clone is a better option for your application.

Out of interest... how much are they asking for this cup car?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd concider it very seriously.

Sound deadening & carpeting is very easy to install and I wouldn't bother with insulation. Well, I wouldn't bother with carpeting either but in your position, just carpet would be enough.

Why a/c? Sweden ain't that hot and I assume this wouldn't be a daily driver?

Bill,

You mean those openings on front fender just in front of the wheel openings? They are for cooling air to exit (they are behind the cooler). Better solution than the typical 993 under the car air flow.

Quick Reply: 993 Cup Car feeler revisited..! (pics inside)