Sponsored by:

Drat! I got a flat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
You can't use the spare on the rear of the car.
I don't think this is right...obviously you wouldn't want to go and drive the twisties with the spare on the rear...or the front. But it should be fine to get you out of a jam...like the OP seems to be in.

I'm a little confused why this thread even came up. Why would you NOT just put the spare on, take the tire to get fixed, and remount it?

BTW...aren't our collapseable spares a "one time use only" thing? Meaning you can't re-collapse them , put them back in the trunck, and use them again another day?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
I'm a little confused why this thread even came up. Why would you NOT just put the spare on, take the tire to get fixed, and remount it?
I'm the OP, and you're completely right, Allen.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
For the record, leaving it on the jack was never an option. My question was: how can I jack one corner up, and then support it with jack stands. I apologize if I didn't make this question more clear. It still seems to be unanswered. Anyone?
This should help:

http://p-car.com/diy/jack/

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Allen
BTW...aren't our collapseable spares a "one time use only" thing? Meaning you can't re-collapse them , put them back in the trunck, and use them again another day?
You can TOTALLY recollapes them! I have one for my VW Beetle because I run 993TT hollow spokes on adapters, and drove 2 hours home on my Porsche spare and recollapsed it. It has a second valve to help deflate it.

Smiles, you CANNOT use a VW wheel because they have different bolt spacings even though newer VWs have 5 bolts. The Porsche bolt pattern is 5x130mm and VWs are 5x100 and 5x112. You have to buy adapters to run Porsche wheels on VWs, as I have (there are exceptions, i.e. antique air-cooled VWs, but we won't even go there to avoid confustion). Bottom line--use your Porsche spare and not a VW one. It's in your trunk--why can't you use it? You even said that the tire place is just down the street. I drove over 100 miles on my spare and it hardly shows any wear.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Smiles
Pro

OK. Job done.

The collapsable spare is an ingenious piece.

I used the stock car jack, and I believe I'm missing whatever swivel-hook is need to crank the jackscrew. It took a while without it, but it's done. I still can't figure out why the tire went flat. No obvious signs of puncture.

Could someone please tell me what the swivel hook looks like, or what the part number is? If cheap, I'd like to get a replacement. (There's always a probability that it is in my toolkit, and I just didn't recognize its purpose.)

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're talking about the thing you stick into the jack to turn the screw, it's a straight hollow bar about 10" long. No hook, just slide it in and rotate.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by brucec59
If you're talking about the thing you stick into the jack to turn the screw, it's a straight hollow bar about 10" long. No hook, just slide it in and rotate.
Thank you, Bruce.

So my tool kit is complete.

But how the heck do you turn a 10" tube when you have something like 5" of ground clearance? In the rear of a C4S, even the more outboard jacking point leaves the eye of the jackscrew underneath the car.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about how it works on WB cars, but I had to do it once and it worked fine. You have to place the jack so that the base is not too far under the car.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

997 owners avoid this conundrum by not having a factory spare at all...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default got a flat

I'm going to start carrying a square thin piece of wood that I can use as a jack base, if I'm forced to make the change on soft ground. I haven't had the factory jack out yet, but I assume the base is small.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Hey Matt,

Good luck trying to get the folded spare back to it's original size and back in the trunk!!

Seems like Porsche manufactured it in space (in a vacuum) and it's very tough to get the air out of it enough to get it back to it's original size. I used a ratchet strap around the outside and pulled a vacuum on it to suck the air out.

Have fun with it !!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by brucec59
Don't know about how it works on WB cars, but I had to do it once and it worked fine. You have to place the jack so that the base is not too far under the car.
There are only two jacking points, and there's a centering dome on the jack that fits in one of the two holes. Out of those two options, I chose the one that stituated the eye furthest away from the car, and it still under the car.

I'll be curious to see how the spare deflates, too!

Quick Reply: Drat! I got a flat.