993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly OT: I hate car salesmen!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008 | 04:53 PM
Gino993
Instructor

What do you call ten thousand car salesmen at the bottom of the ocean???
Old 10-13-2008 | 04:55 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by pjconner
My dad does that. Most 9 out of 10 don't respond at all. You WILL deal with them on THEIR terms. Or so it seems..
I wondered about that. My wife wants a new Mazda 3 so I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2008 | 04:59 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gino993
A good start.

Mike
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arena993
A good start.

Mike
LOL.
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:23 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
LOL.
It's a variation on my favorite lawyer joke (present company excepted!)

Nothing against them personally, it's just that there's so much information out there, it's almost impossible for any sales guy to keep up vs. an ethusiast armed with 1 hour and a DSL connection.
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude68
It's a variation on my favorite lawyer joke (present company excepted!)

Nothing against them personally, it's just that there's so much information out there, it's almost impossible for any sales guy to keep up vs. an ethusiast armed with 1 hour and a DSL connection.
Would be ideal if most salesmen were enthusiastic about their product. And had an hour and a DSL connection!
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:33 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

10000 less cars on the road

Harry
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:49 PM
dcdude
Drifting

If you think we're bad, the Honda Gold Wing enthusiasts are totally hard core, despite all the teddy bears

I was working at Honda on the launch of the first 1800 product (which is a superb motorcycle, BTW). After spending time with owners in focus groups, etc., we learned that not only that most of these guys are very technically competent, know tons of Honda history, and also know more about the future than we did. We only knew what we were told through "official" briefings from Product Planning about stuff that was 12 months from market or less. The Wingers lived in forums (gasp!) combed the Japan sites, rumor blogs, etc, etc. They were totally on it.
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:04 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Well, technically from a marketing standpoint, retail customer service has become polarized: Walmart or Tiffany. Your choice. The middle, including small town owner-operated hardware stores and bakeries, etc. has been obliterated.
Well sir,...there are many reasons for that but not only does that subject lead this thread astray, its really too complex for Internet Forums,..

Thank God for telephones,....
Old 10-14-2008 | 09:54 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man we wil never have another BMW. My wife's 3 series with only 57K miles has stranded her three times. Replace the alternator 2 weeks ago, cam sensor at 52K. Neither under warranty and BMW does give a rats ***. Be forwarned about BMW. I have had 2 others long ago and loved them but these days they are crap IMHO!
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:30 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Im in the process of buying another vehicle. It will be my 4th vehicle without every meeting the owner or test driving it. I did go look at this one on Sunday but they were closed, which was fine for the walk around.

Its currently at a 3rd party having a PPI done this morning--which was dropped off yesterday afternoon about 1 mile away to another shop (dealership) for the inspection. I had the dealership drop it off at another dealership.

If it passes the test, I'll barter some on the price and most likely buy it.

Ive done my homework, know what I want, and I buy it. Thats how I operate in the world of buying things.

No problems with salespeople in my case because I havent even been working with them. All my work is done in my underware, except for the walk around on Sunday.
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:45 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by sinfulsteve
Man we wil never have another BMW. My wife's 3 series with only 57K miles has stranded her three times. Replace the alternator 2 weeks ago, cam sensor at 52K. Neither under warranty and BMW does give a rats ***. Be forwarned about BMW. I have had 2 others long ago and loved them but these days they are crap IMHO!
I have the same thoughts about them. I can't wait until the BMW salesman calls me near the end of my lease.
Old 10-14-2008 | 12:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

How much do you think is fair for a 993 cabriolet with 28K miles on it?

Originally Posted by logan2z
Two bad car salesman experiences today:

1) My wife is looking at a new BMW 135i. So were at a Bay Area BMW dealership today and I spy a used M3 convertible on the lot. Since I haven't been able to track down a 993 that I want yet, I decided I'd take the M for a test drive. I drive the car (which to be honest didn't excite me that much), and upon returning to the dealership the sales guy says 'I don't wan't to offend you, but perhaps you should consider a regular 3-series since you don't drive aggressively enough for an M'. Huh? I'm driving someone else's car with the sales guy breathing down my neck from the back seat, and he doesn't think I'm worthy because I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter on every shift? Pi$$ed me off.

2) On our way back from the BMW dealership, we drive past a Porsche dealership and I spot a 993 for sale on the lot. I stopped in to check it out and it's not exactly the cleanest example I've seen around. It's a '96 cab, completely stock and they want $44K for it?? Oh, they've just dropped the price to a more reasonable $40K. OK, it's only got 28K miles on it, but it's pretty dirty inside, and smells like gasoline in the cabin! The sales guy knows next to nothing about the car except to say 'it's a classic, very hard to come by' and asks me about 10 times if I'm interested in buying it. I took his card and said I'd let him know. Yeah, right.

I hate car salesmen.
Old 10-14-2008 | 12:43 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dan V
How much do you think is fair for a 993 cabriolet with 28K miles on it?
If the car was in excellent condition, then I would say that the price asked wasn't too far out of line - especially given the low mileage. IMHO, I just didn't think that the condition of the car warranted top dollar.
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:22 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Sounds like those jackasses down on Steven Creeks blvd.

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: I hate car salesmen!