Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly OT: I hate car salesmen!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Slightly OT: I hate car salesmen!

Two bad car salesman experiences today:

1) My wife is looking at a new BMW 135i. So were at a Bay Area BMW dealership today and I spy a used M3 convertible on the lot. Since I haven't been able to track down a 993 that I want yet, I decided I'd take the M for a test drive. I drive the car (which to be honest didn't excite me that much), and upon returning to the dealership the sales guy says 'I don't wan't to offend you, but perhaps you should consider a regular 3-series since you don't drive aggressively enough for an M'. Huh? I'm driving someone else's car with the sales guy breathing down my neck from the back seat, and he doesn't think I'm worthy because I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter on every shift? Pi$$ed me off.

2) On our way back from the BMW dealership, we drive past a Porsche dealership and I spot a 993 for sale on the lot. I stopped in to check it out and it's not exactly the cleanest example I've seen around. It's a '96 cab, completely stock and they want $44K for it?? Oh, they've just dropped the price to a more reasonable $40K. OK, it's only got 28K miles on it, but it's pretty dirty inside, and smells like gasoline in the cabin! The sales guy knows next to nothing about the car except to say 'it's a classic, very hard to come by' and asks me about 10 times if I'm interested in buying it. I took his card and said I'd let him know. Yeah, right.

I hate car salesmen.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing worse than a hungry salesman....except a customer that doesn't test drive aggressively enough....LOL

ZP44
Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z

1) My wife is looking at a new BMW 135i. So were at a Bay Area BMW dealership today and I spy a used M3 convertible on the lot. Since I haven't been able to track down a 993 that I want yet, I decided I'd take the M for a test drive. I drive the car (which to be honest didn't excite me that much), and upon returning to the dealership the sales guy says 'I don't wan't to offend you, but perhaps you should consider a regular 3-series since you don't drive aggressively enough for an M'. Huh? I'm driving someone else's car with the sales guy breathing down my neck from the back seat, and he doesn't think I'm worthy because I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter on every shift? Pi$$ed me off.

2) On our way back from the BMW dealership, we drive past a Porsche dealership and I spot a 993 for sale on the lot. I stopped in to check it out and it's not exactly the cleanest example I've seen around. It's a '96 cab, completely stock and they want $44K for it?? Oh, they've just dropped the price to a more reasonable $40K. OK, it's only got 28K miles on it, but it's pretty dirty inside, and smells like gasoline in the cabin! The sales guy knows next to nothing about the car except to say 'it's a classic, very hard to come by' and asks me about 10 times if I'm interested in buying it. I took his card and said I'd let him know. Yeah, right.

I hate car salesmen.

I would have said, "Give me back the car keys, and I'll show you my impolite side . . . "
Old 10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... and smells like gasoline in the cabin!
I hate car salesmen.
It is normal for air-cooled 911's to smell like oil inside the cabin.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

...and upon returning to the dealership the sales guy says 'I don't wan't to offend you, but perhaps you should consider a regular 3-series since you don't drive aggressively enough for an M'. Huh? I'm driving someone else's car with the sales guy breathing down my neck from the back seat, and he doesn't think I'm worthy because I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter on every shift? Pi$$ed me off.
He wanted you to break it, therefore you would have to buy it.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want dealerships to be like the old cigarette/candy vending machines: put in your money, pull lever, car comes out, drive home.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I want dealerships to be like the old cigarette/candy vending machines: put in your money, pull lever, car comes out, drive home.
Funny you should say this Chuck.

My ex is thinking of working for a firm that does high-end vending machines, stuffed with things like iPods, Blackberries etc. The idea behind this is people no longer want to deal with moronic salespeople now that it's clear that customer service truly is dead.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

'I don't wan't to offend you, but perhaps you should consider a regular 3-series since you don't drive aggressively enough for an M'.

then you can say "hang on, I'll be back with my helmet"
Old 10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
,.....people no longer want to deal with moronic salespeople now that it's clear that customer service truly is dead.
Customer service may be "mostly dead", but its certainly not "all dead".

(paraphrased from the "Princess Bride")
Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Customer service may be "mostly dead", but its certainly not "all dead".

(paraphrased from the "Princess Bride")
Well, technically from a marketing standpoint, retail customer service has become polarized: Walmart or Tiffany. Your choice. The middle, including small town owner-operated hardware stores and bakeries, etc. has been obliterated.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why for my next new car I will just e-mail an RFQ to the internet sales depts of 3 dealers. I'll list all of the desired specs, wait for their reply and pick the best price.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
This is why for my next new car I will just e-mail an RFQ to the internet sales depts of 3 dealers. I'll list all of the desired specs, wait for their reply and pick the best price.
My dad does that. Most 9 out of 10 don't respond at all. You WILL deal with them on THEIR terms. Or so it seems.

My last few car purchases have been through RUF Dallas. GREAT customer service there. They even handled the purchase of my daily driver recently. I just ran it all through them. These guys are top notch.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

I think you guys should organize a "group drive" of the M. Meet up at a local diner and then take turns showing up and having some fun iwht the M and the salesman's head. Re-group at the diner and then have a blast telling war stories. 1st one that get's the salesman to puke gets a free lunch.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
I think you guys should organize a "group drive" of the M. Meet up at a local diner and then take turns showing up and having some fun iwht the M and the salesman's head. Re-group at the diner and then have a blast telling war stories. 1st one that get's the salesman to puke gets a free lunch.
Love it!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
Originally Posted by pjconner
My dad does that. Most 9 out of 10 don't respond at all. You WILL deal with them on THEIR terms. Or so it seems.
+1
I tried this earlier this year at the other end of the spectrum (a few GM dealers, wanted to upgrade the family truck/SUV device), got nothing but a run around and spam for weeks.
I was ready to buy AND wanted to buy off of the lot.

I got the impression they did not take someone who was "shopping" via email and internet seriously. Understandable in some ways, but they will soon learn that the generation right behind me will change the traditional new car buying "rules".

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: I hate car salesmen!