Sponsored by:

Question on Pedro's Ice Wax

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on Pedro's Ice Wax

I've searched but not found an answer to this ..
I've recently tried the ice wax to try and stop my windscreen 'ticking' me into pre-senile-dementia (without success I might add!) . However , I've been thinking of all that 'goo' stuck between the rubber and the windshield and wondered if it going to contribute to future rust around the window issues (They're completely rust clear at the moment).
I mean , the weather here in Ireland is moist enough , without me introducing even more moisture under the seal.

Unfortunately there's no indication on the ice wax bottle as to whether it's water or oil based , so I've no idea as to whether it would help or hinder onset of the dreaded windshield rust.

Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go after the Porsche Official fix, it's a 996 part # https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...indshield+cord - a rubber cord that fills the GAP between the windshield and the frame, that with some 3M silicon lube (wet type 08877) http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beGSGRCGLTDBgl and your set

I eliminated 90% of my creak/ticking recently and it rains here 70% of the year, my car is a DD all seasons.

Rob.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pedro's is probably mostly paraffin, with a bit of other fancier stuff in it. I've been using it for years on my bike without any hint that it's accelerating rust. I imagine that what you need to consider is not whether there is moisture in the Ice Wax, but rather if putting the Ice Wax down is going to seal in other moisture. If it's really wet where you are, then it might.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The motorcycle chain lube prevents rust. If it didn't work, you must have done something untoward. It has worked on every 993 I have seen, including both of mine at the time.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The motorcycle chain lube prevents rust. If it didn't work, you must have done something untoward. It has worked on every 993 I have seen, including both of mine at the time.
Hmm , I'm open to suggestion!
should I try and wipe it all clean and start again.
seeing as it worked for you could you give me tips on use of the wax?
At any rate , thanks for your reply , it's good to know I'm not accelerating any rust issues so thank you.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by rconnon
I would go after the Porsche Official fix, it's a 996 part # https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...indshield+cord - a rubber cord that fills the GAP between the windshield and the frame, that with some 3M silicon lube (wet type 08877) http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beGSGRCGLTDBgl and your set

I eliminated 90% of my creak/ticking recently and it rains here 70% of the year, my car is a DD all seasons.

Rob.
Hi Rob , thanks for those links , If I can't get this ice wax to work for me I'll be moving onto the official Porsche fix.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
forest
Advanced

Originally Posted by shamrock
Hmm , I'm open to suggestion!
should I try and wipe it all clean and start again.
seeing as it worked for you could you give me tips on use of the wax?
At any rate , thanks for your reply , it's good to know I'm not accelerating any rust issues so thank you.
i kept putting more until it worked. maybe u can try too.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried Pedros, and it seemed to work pretty well. After I had my windshield repaced due to cranking, it squeaked much more than the old one did. I did not use Pedro's but went straight to the official fix mentioned above, but without the silicon goo. Worked like a charm - for about 8 months. I pulled it out and re-did it with new cord (there is enough in one package for two windshields), and it's quiet again. Seems the stuff gets compressed/dirty/something and it's effectiveness goes away. Maybe I should try the goo next time.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

I've found that the installation of the foam rope from Porsche and a yearly application of 3M Silicone Spray works very well. I know the silicone spray will inhibit rust and it doesn't keep weeping out during the hot summer months like the Pedros does.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Shamrock - the squeak is caused by the glass moving against the rubber seal which covers the glass and the body. Simpply lift the seal with a plastic knife (or equivalent) and spray in the lube. Lube all around the glass. Wipe off any excess. The lube dries to a wax like substance. I found I had to repeat the process every 3-4 months but it is a 5 minute job so it wasn't a bother. Note I did not use Pedro's but a similar product I bought in a motorcyle shop. The secret is to buy a lube designed for dirt bikes which goes on liquid and dries to a wax. There are many brands. I think mine was Belmont. Can't say for sure I gave the can to the fellow who bought my 993.

Best,
Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Old 10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

+1------- Works for me
Old 06-13-2009, 01:42 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts
Default silicone or not?

i am preparing to do the official porsche fix with the foam cord from the dealer. my question is should i use silicone with it or not. the silicone i plan to use is 3M Silicone Lubricant PLus (Wet Type) # 08877.

i have read accounts that using silicone will cause problems down the road in the event of a repaint.

others have said the wet type is safe for the paint (not sure if they just mean the existing paint or future repaints as well)

anyone have the definitive answer on this?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't take the noise any more, so I am trying the rope trick. I've searched and do not see a definitive fix; is there a consensus that the 3M silicone product is better than Pedros? I've used Pedro for years, but it only works for a few weeks on my car.

Quick Reply: Question on Pedro's Ice Wax