Gear Shift Rattle - Updated Now Price Check

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear Shift Rattle - Updated Now Price Check

Hi All,

as always, I really appreciate everyone's help as I look for a car.

I drove a 95 c4 yesterday with 94K on the clock. The clutch had been replaced at about 50K, and the master and slave cylinder in the last 10K.

When I drove the car, the clutch felt pretty good, but I could feel a distinct, rhythmic rattle or wobble through the gear shift when the car was in neutral.

The sensation was hard to describe, but it seemed to change in frequency when I revved the engine.

Another tidbit of info - my friend who was sitting outside when I came back from the drive and parked the car said there was a weird noise as I pulled in to park. She can't really describe it, but said it was more whirring or whining than clunking.

Any thoughts? What should be looking for here?

Thanks

Last edited by patela; 10-07-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Arun,

On the shifter, is it the standard OEM shifter? Is there a short shift kit (doubtful on C4)? Aftermarket and/or short shift kit could cause the vibration. My RUF shifter makes noise.

Not sure on the exterior noise. Could be some heat shields rattling.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LWF?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Are the exhaust tips saggy? Another sign of bad motormounts, which can cause shifter rattling. It happened on my second 993.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine wobbles a bit in first gear running to second, but i do not feel it in other gears.

jason

96 C4S 6spd
Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many replacement gear shift handles that attach to the lever are screwed in place. They also allow for a metal rattle at times. If this is the case, I wrap the top of the lever with black electrical tape and then install the gear shift handle. Most likely this is the cause as even with a LWF, you will get some gear rattle if not using Mobil 1, but it will not cause the gear shifter to rattle.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Many replacement gear shift handles that attach to the lever are screwed in place. They also allow for a metal rattle at times. If this is the case, I wrap the top of the lever with black electrical tape and then install the gear shift handle. Most likely this is the cause as even with a LWF, you will get some gear rattle if not using Mobil 1, but it will not cause the gear shifter to rattle.
+1. When I replaced my shifter with the CF one I used some tennis grip to suppress the rattling.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
+1. When I replaced my shifter with the CF one I used some tennis grip to suppress the rattling.
Yep, you just need to isolate the metal gear shift **** from the shifter handle. It is amazing how much noise it can make when it does rattle..
Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I had the same problem last summer (shifter vibration) as I was taking off to a Porsche gathering 300 Km away. I stopped at a highly regarded indy mechanic and he pulled offf the boot and shift **** (used Allen key to release the shift ****), applied several strips of electrical tape over the shifter, reinstalled the shift **** and boot and vibration was gone.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

I don't think it's the ****. The know was stock and the vibration felt like it was coming through the whole handle.

No evidence of a short shift kit.

Can you give me more detail about what the LWF vibration feels like?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I don't have a LWF so I can't comment on that. I had never had occasion, nor reason, to actually feel the shifter prior to developing my shifter **** vibration/rattle. Once I noticed the shift **** viration/rattle I felt the shifter which seemed to be vibrating as well. Since installing the electrical tape the vibration/rattle in the shift **** is gone and I have not actually gone back to check to see if the shifter still vibrates. I am at work and don't have access to the car and won't be driving it until Sunday. I will follow the thread and get back to you regarding the vibration at that point in time. Others will probaby chime in before that with respect to the LWF.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
I don't think it's the ****. The know was stock and the vibration felt like it was coming through the whole handle.

No evidence of a short shift kit.

Can you give me more detail about what the LWF vibration feels like?
So it sounds like shift **** rattle is ruled out...
already mentioned:
LWF - It feels like a vibration ( a little more than DMF) and can make a little more noise
Motor mounts - As Chris said, bad mount or maybe RS mounts, aftermarket mounts (such as Wevo) or possibly RS trans mount.
If there is any way to ask more questions or look at what was bought when the clutch was done, that would help.

As for the sound your friend heard, that could be anything... too vague to even guess.

If you can't determine all of the above and are interested in the car, maybe a PPI?

PS- On the loose shift **** issue, I like to use a large diameter heat shrink tubing. Makes for a nice clean install and doesn't leave sticky tape goo if you need to remove the **** at a later date.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

All right, thanks guys. Sounds like something I shouldn't be terrified of, and a PPI is probably in order.

Alright, second question -- Fair price assuming no big surprises on PPI?

Black/black c4. 94K miles. No reported accidents, third owner. Clutch (maybe with LFW?) at 50K. Clutch/brake master cylinder, fuel pump and alternator at 85K. New tires and brakes. Original shocks. Intake valves re-done at 35K (is this weird?). No fancy options, aftermarket stereo. Clean. Drove nicely, didn't feel especially powerful (is that normal? I've driven far more 964s, and it doesn't feel the same as a "strong" 964).

Quick Reply: Gear Shift Rattle - Updated Now Price Check