RS Shifter / Fork / RS Tranny Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:37 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Shifter / Fork / RS Tranny Mounts

Hey guys,

Have the RS shifter installed but passed on the RS shift rod. Am considering doing this as well as replacing tranny mounts with RS mounts. Anyone done this and have any observations? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Pan58
Instructor

I have the B&M short shifter installed in my car along with RS front tranny mount with Wevo engine mounts (they are about 200.00 less than the stk RS mounts) Car runs and handels great you will like it if you do all of the above... and no there is not much extra engine noise and very little engine viration.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would use a washer to tighten up the shift rod linkage.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 AM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Any other thoughts on the benefits of the rod and RS tranny mounts? I already have the RS engine mounts as well. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Pan58
Instructor

its is spendy Mount.... abount $400.00 shipping and tax included, the only one I could Find was from Carnewl , could not find one here in the states.
on the good side It helps with more positive shifting and cust down on the jerky starts from a stop. It was worth it to me..
Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
I would use a washer to tighten up the shift rod linkage.
+1
Old 10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+3 on the shift rod. I wrote a post about how to do it that's in the archives somewhere.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I have Weltmeister short shift kit, Wevo engine mounts, unmodified tranny mount. Works well. Wevo makes all system so much stiffer that there is no need for stiffer tranny mount in my opinion.

Jaak
my SEO blog
Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not recommend the RS Tranny mount for mostly street use, it chatters like crazy and most everyone I know who thought they wanted it (again for a non track dedicated car) - proimptly had it removed.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste

I have Weltmeister short shift kit, Wevo engine mounts, unmodified tranny mount. Works well. Wevo makes all system so much stiffer that there is no need for stiffer tranny mount in my opinion.

Jaak
my SEO blog
I searched and really didn't find anything but what are the pros and cons of the Weltmeister compared to the RS short shift kits? I want to do one over the winter.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Hi, Cactus

You may find information from their homepage: http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDe...?productID=414

Only advantage for me was price. It was long time ago, but I thin it was cheaper, still high quality product. Now I am so used with it, but back then the difference was huge in good way.

Jack
Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Flat -6,

What is chattering with the RS tranny mounts. I installed the RS motor mounts. It did make a difference in handling and along with that I got some vibration from the engine. Nothing major, it just gave it more character and less of a refined feeling but nothing like chatter. Only thing I have heard of chattering is the LWF which I dont plan on doing as mine is a 95 and it looks like I would be dealing with stalling issues.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
Hi, Cactus

You may find information from their homepage: http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDe...?productID=414

Only advantage for me was price. It was long time ago, but I thin it was cheaper, still high quality product. Now I am so used with it, but back then the difference was huge in good way.

Jack
Thanks for the response. It seems this has to be better because you eliminate the ball cups but just wanted to know what everyone thought.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I remember correctly the Weltmeister replaces the front rod's ball cup with more solid hardware (see P-car.com) and the RS kit replaces the rear rod's rubber with solid mount. See the pics below. I don't know how much the RS kit cost now (I only paid $230 for the whole 3 piece kit years ago) but I would recommend the RS kit. I think it's the old rubber piece from the old kit that gives you the rubbery feel but if you only care about the short throw (not much anyway) and not buying the rod then it really doesn't matter which brand to buy.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/kit.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ol...seup_copy1.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/socketend.jpg

Anyone had the RS/Wevo engine mounts installed and have problem with engine carrier (broken/cracked)?

thanks

Last edited by hn; 10-07-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you replace softer components with something less soft, you get more noise. You have to ask yourself what you hope to gain from the change and if the trade-off is worth it.

I have all solid mounts in my car and the noise is incredible - a huge increase from the old stock parts. The RS will be a bit more noisy but not as bad as all solid.

I find it hard to believe that the motor mounts made a difference in handling. They can help shifting while under load (which is the expected benefit of the RS transmission mount), but normal handling in a corner is not a benefit I would expect. Replacing the mount but leaving the sloppy shift rod would be a mistake or counter productive IMO.

Quick Reply: RS Shifter / Fork / RS Tranny Mounts