Salvage/Rebuilt 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
I know this will sound funny but is resale value really important to you guys???
Less so then the initial price, which as has been said is high. But is is a consideration when buying a 13 year old car.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
I know this will sound funny but is resale value really important to you guys???
Well it may not be the main criteria, but the right car will always hold a better value and the best 993's have been holding strong for awhile now. There is one Rennlister that I know about that actually made money after owning the car for 3 years. His car was perfect and he got top dollar. Resale is important to me just because I know I will be selling the car at sometime in the future. Some people may not care, but it is a large purchase. Each owner is different and has different goals with their car.

Mike
Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who makes his business on salvage cars (mostly parts, but some repair and resell). There are a LOT of good deals to be had but you must do your homework to get something that has been repaired right. That usually includes an alignment check and and body shop inspection (in addition to the PPI). As others said, you must also be prepared to find the right buyer at resale time and not expect to get "market value".

Unfortunately, some cars like Porsche 911s and BMW M-Series don't lend themselves to salvage repairs well. This is due to the high value of their parts. Since the parts are worth so much, the complete car price is driven up too high to where it within 10-20% of the equivalent clear title car and is no longer worth it. This car looks to have a pretty easy $20K in parts alone. Maybe more but blue interior could be a tough sell.

Playing devil's advocate, this car could be worth it if you do your homework and don't expect a perfect, immaculate, no-stories 993. What would the equivalent "S" bodied car with the wheels, suspension, etc cost???

Only problem I see here is doing your homework in 45 minutes via Ebay.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
striker27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to get a heads up on some peoples ideas on resale value in regards to 993's. I understand a low mileage pristine museum piece would have decent value but I am not one to believe that a car once it has over 10000 or so miles would fit into the class of anything but a daily driver car.

I dont have a problem with salvage cars either. I think they can be great as a daily driver or a track car. I am also not really too worried about repairs I have a few mechanics on the payroll who seem to do nothing but linger around the shop so fixing my junk is not much of an issue.

I agree as a person who has bought salvage cars it is a issue making a purchase so quickly with out knowing all the facts.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at an auction (dealer only) about a month or so ago an a 97 993 coupe (Artic Silver/Classic Gray)came through. At fist I was intrigued an quickly ran a Carfax. BINGO! Salvage title. Now the car didn't look horrible, but it was a little on the edgy side. The car had miles in the low 70's. Guess what it brought.

$11,700.00

And the bank sold it. It would have made a good track car except it was a Tiptronic. There is an *** for every seat. Now on the face of it that was a cheap 993 to get into but it had stories a mile long and when everyone heard the auctioneer announce salvage title they just walked the other way. From a selling standpoint why deal with something like this just because it's cheap? Buy a nice car and they sell themselves. Remember this is comming from a seller's point of view and not a buyers, but I buy cars with the same philosophy.

Mike
Old 10-02-2008, 06:39 PM
striker27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know where you are coming from in regards to buying one!!

I do really like the idea of just putting something back together after it has been damaged. I like the work involued in it and it makes it alot of fun for me. I have never sold a project I have taken on, it is in a way some sort of therapy for me I guess.

I take seem to approach it the same way I would a kit car...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyg
re: ebay salvage/rebuild...looks like someone's trying to unload it http://midatlanticmotorwerkes.com/inventory.php I asked the ebayer if it was the same car...no response. Run Forest Run!
Incredible, i was also interested in this car 2 months ago, i contacted several times this dealer "Midattlanticmotorwekes" I didn't know at that time that it has a salvage title..

I founded the price so low and this dealer is located in VA.So for me it was a good deal.

2 weeks later the guy answers me this : hey, sorry as i was on vacation both when you had emailed and when the car sold. a guy in Canada purchased it 2 days after i put it on Cars.com. Greg so the car is in NY now, and 2WD !!!! run forrest run!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Maineiac
Too much $ for too many potential problems and no resale value.
Exactly, thats a 15-18K car at best..

Quick Reply: Salvage/Rebuilt 993?