993 Forum 1995-1998

P0410 only SAI code

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0410 only SAI code

My CEL lit up shortly after I bought my 97 cab, with only 50k miles, and did so while idling for 10 minutes (don't ask) on a warm day. The EQUUS shows only the left bank SAI code. And my oil consumption is around 1000 mi/qt (yes I know Steve Weiner says 800 mi/qt is bad territory, but assume consumption is lower than what it would be for road trip since I drive a lot of 10 mi commuter runs in warm weather with - highway most of the way and an Italian tune up at the end).
Anyway, when I have the 60k mile tune up, it is logical to have the SAI "fixed" at the same time by rerplacing the valve (should do this anyway) and also cleaning the SAI ports. QUESTION: if the right bank SAI code is not active, why clean the right hand side. I think I recall this is the toughest to get to in any case. SECOND QUESTION: if the valve is clogged (which it must be by now) would the left bank be affected earlier or preferentially than the right bank, or do I just happen to have better valve guides on the right hand side?
Thanks for the advice.
Charlie
Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahah - more data. I checked the code again after a 4000 rpm brief run and instead of an SAI code it gave me 0301, or second cyliner misfire detected. Sooo, 1) why did the SAI code not show again; and 2) could the SAI issue be due to an old spark plug wire and misfires that have the effect of clogging the SAI? The car has gone 30k miles since its original major tune up and this was in 2001, so the wires could have aged and led to the problem. Sure prefer a major tune up (time for it anyway) to a valve guide job! And how will I know if I need guides when the mechanic is in there doing the major tune up and no doubt cleaning the left bank SAI ports??
Charlie

Quick Reply: P0410 only SAI code