Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: Cabo San Lucas recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Cabo San Lucas recommendations?

heading down to LA in November and would like to go to Cabo for the weekend. I know quite a few of you have been down there.
Any recommendations?

I see the popular destinations are San Jose del Cabo, and cabo san lucas. I guess CSL is the place to go...

How about Hotel recommendations, and what it like there in November, beac weather, etc.....
Old 09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent a short weekend in Cabo August 07. We stayed at Villa De Estancia. It's a Condo/hotel. Probably a mile walk on the beach to town. I believe it was one of the more upscale facilities in Cabo and on a very nice beach. A great pool. Our two bedroom two bath condo was well appointed with marble, big balcony with grill, great view. The water taxi's could take you to town or out to some of the beach attractions. I did get sick, don't drink the water or consume icecubes like I did. Definitely would go back.

John Z.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

The wife and I spent a few nights at El Presidente in San Jose Del Cabo about 10 years ago. All inclusive, the fish tacos were AMAZING, they even packed you a lunch if you were going out for the day.

A taxi or bus ride to CSL was a little inconvenient, but it is quieter than CSL, so depends on what you want, CSL is much more hustle and bustle, but also much more to see and do. The town of San Jose del Cabo is small, but quaint.

I think Sammy Hagar's BD is in Oct, so you will miss the big BD bash he does at Cabo Wabo, too bad, I have heard it is quite the time.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

We've stayed twice at the Riu Palace -- all inclusive, about a ten dollar taxi ride into town. Nice place, great service and a really good beach.

You can also walk the beach into town, get drunk, buy a Tag watch and cab it back to the hotel. Ask me how I know

Also, take a water taxi out to lovers beach -- great place to relax! I can send you pictures of the resort, if you'd like.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a timeshare (Raintree) at the Westin . The Grand Regina (newest part of the Westin) is a sweet. Closer to San Jose and in away from downtown Cabo.

I have been to Mexico a dozen times in the past 6 years and Cabo isnt my favorite destination in Mexico but partied with the boys there on a number of occassions. Of the stories I could tell about Blackjack!!

Stayed at the Finisterra before. Nice older place built into the mountain, right by the arena. A stay at the Melia San Lucas---fun hotel. The Office is walking distance from there.

Fished on pangas and Pieces (great outfit)

Crazy times in Cabo as well as Cancun and Puerto Vallarta!
Attached Images    
Old 09-16-2008, 01:12 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Make sure and take ur skimboard.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Im a fan of San Jose for shopping and dining. I dont get the "go fishing.....timeshare......you need some weed".....every 30 feet in San Jose.

I always rent vehicles in Mexico. I venture to small villages, eat at small, family run side eateries, and swim on semi-remote beaches. You can take a side trip up to Todo Santos (Hotel California is there but its not related to the Eagles and many believe) to mix things up but I wasnt all that impressed. Its a tourist trap but I made the best of it there.

My favorite local bar in Cabo is the Love Shack---right around the corner from El Squid Roe. Of course then you have Cabo Wabo, the Giggling Marlin, the No Where Bar (right in the marina)

Lovers Beach and Divorce Rock---take a water taxi out there, drink a few beers, and relax.

The Office and Trailer Park are a few well known places to eat. If you eat at The Office, get a table in the middle on the beach. If your on the edge, you will have vendors in your face trying to sell you things the entire time.

Never been sick in Cabo or ever worried about the ice cubes and drank many of cocktails but dont touch tap water.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 09-16-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:27 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

I've only been once but it was just a couple of months ago and had a great time. Stayed at Esperanza Resort about 4 miles outside of Cabo. Beautiful facility, exceptional service and a welcome retreat from the craziness in town. Expensive but worth it.

One piece of advice is to follow the advice of your concierge on who to stay away from (timeshare salespeople). They'll hit you up EVERYWHERE starting at the airport in San Juan when you fly in AND at the rental car counter!

As mentioned above, breakfast at The Office is great, but don't be tempted to sit at the row of tables closest to the water. You won't enjoy being hounded by street salespeople.

Restaurant recommendation is Edith's. It's right around the corner from The Office and I believe owned by the same people.

Take the water taxi ride in a glass bottom boat around land's end over to the Pacific Ocean side.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I go frequently. I like to stay at the Hilton Los Cabos. It's about halfway between San Jose and CSL. I try to say away from CSL...It's kinda like Key West, middle aged, middle America drunks, trying to re-live their colllege days, and old people from the cruise ships buying Chinese made "Authentic Mexican" souveniers.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Yes, the Hilton is VERY nice. I ate lunch there one day. Great location--about in the middle.

The Esperanza is top notch all the way.

My timeshare is at Club Regina at the Westin--seperate from the Westin hotel and Grand Regina (brand spanking new and very very nice). The resort is huge and has like 9 swimming pools total and they pick up and bring you around in golf carts. Its giganic to honest but secluded, nice, and a good place to stay considering I dont pay anything. My friends and family use my timeshare all the time--get a 1 bedrom for like $140 a night and $150 for a 2 bedroom---all taxes included plus 20% discount on all food and drink. However, they try to pull you into a timeshare but you have no obligation or requirements to do so and I wouldnt do it. For years they try to get me to have breakfast or meet with them to discuss whats happen. I dont do timeshare pitches while on vacation even or care to hear updates--its a waste of my time. Dont care about a free rental car, bottle of tequila, or some other cheesy gift that isnt worth my time getting drunk on the beach!! I paid 60% less than what they went for new and any upgrades I would just purchase on Ebay. I wasnt not the timeshare target in my earlier years of owning-- I was 30, single, and Mexico was were the boys went to have fun. Those are 2 deal killers in timeshares because when you sit 2 people down and the drinks start flowing, its an easier sell. And I still go there with the boys to have fun and think my membership expires in 2027.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:34 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

I'm looking at this place, they say they are 10mins from downtown. My question is, how safe is "downtown"?

http://www.mecabo.travel/
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

no problems downtown...CSL is pretty friendly day and night. and at night, you don't have to deal with the street venders as much.

Loved the Finnisterra Hotel...within walking distance of downtown. Great pool and direct access to a private beach on the Pacifc side. Cabo Wabo is a must, even if it is a bit over-hyped. Another thumbs up for The Office.

The condo-selling crowd at the airport has lessened a bit. I was there in June and I received nary a glance. The taxi gauntlet can be a bit intimidating tho.

Last edited by slider; 09-18-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Downtown Cabo is very safe. The Fedarale are on the street corners with AK-47's for your protection. Thats very common in Mexico, especailly weekend nights.

The Melia is located walking distance, or a very short taxi ride, to downtown. I had a great time when I was there. As is the Finnisteria, there is an old and new part. I liked the old part and had a marina view. And the Whalewatcher bar (around the corner, on top) is cool. I liked the pool and the Pacific side. Both have their touches.

Prostitutes linger everywhere but if your there with the wife, no worries. They wont bother you.

Yea, the timeshare pitches come from EVERYWHERE. Like flys on crap at the airport. You will at a restraunt in the Marina there is probably a 75% chance someone who works there will try to sell you parasailing, boat ride, timeshare, ect. There is always something for free pitch but there is always the catch. Tell them you own at the Grand Regina (Westin) (www.grandregina.com) and bought it on Ebay. Its tough to upsell that location and quiets people down quick....but then they think you have $$$ and try something else!! :-) I actaully own at Club Regina (Westin) and its part of the Westin about 300 yards away from Grand Regina.
Check out www.allaboutcabo.com There are some coupons you can print of there as well. Yes, I use coupons all the time!

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 09-17-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

thanks for all the info guys....it will come in handy!

another question: are the beaches rocky or clean sand? I know we are not in the carribean, but how bad is it?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
thanks for all the info guys....it will come in handy!

another question: are the beaches rocky or clean sand? I know we are not in the carribean, but how bad is it?
It depends where you are. At Esperanza, the sand is NOT the very fine powdery sand you find in other places like Florida. The grains of sand are quite large in places - almost pebble like. The shore is pretty rocky in places as well, which makes for some spectacular waves crashing against the rocks.

In town around places like The Office, the shoreline is much less rocky and the sand is finer. The surf can be a little rough at times and the water is pretty cool but bearable.

Quick Reply: OT: Cabo San Lucas recommendations?