HK Traffic Pro question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HK Traffic Pro question

Got an HK Traffic Pro coming....

Some Rennlisters have installed the unit without the speed sensor wire. Some have tapped into the back of the speedometer.

Is that speed sensor absolutely necessary for GPS, or is it just for volume modulation?

If it is necessary, anyone with a set of instructions or diagram how to tap into the speedo?

What's your way of wiring for the GPS antenna: do you run it under the carpet, under the center console, etc....?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 213 Posts

Jim

Take a look at the below thread. Posting 110 has some photos on where and how to hook up the speed sensor, I pulled the dash and put the antenna in the right corner of the dash. I have a cab so the rear deck was out. It does not stand out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=ebay

Good luck....
Old 09-16-2008, 01:30 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The speed sensor is actually useful because it helps the system keep track of where you are when you temporarily lose the GPS signal (like in a tunnel, on/under metal bridges, etc.). I think the TP will operate without it but it will need to go through the signal reacquisition process everytime you lose the signal.

I was able to just squeeze my antenna under the front dash so it's completely hidden. It fits under the plastic defrost vent so you don't have to actually remove the dash to install it. It has worked great for me and I have no problems getting a strong signal. The basic instructions are on a thread here so if you search you should be able to find it. The rear deck works too but you'll need to buy an extension antenna cable - the stock cable is too short.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great....thanks!

I am hoping that

1. I get lucky just like Stealth 993, and do not have to fool with jumping wires on the back to turn on the internal amp, since I have that Nokia DPS thing.

2. Also I again get lucky like Stealth 993 and do not have to rig the speedo and reverse lines.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
Great....thanks!

I am hoping that

1. I get lucky just like Stealth 993, and do not have to fool with jumping wires on the back to turn on the internal amp, since I have that Nokia DPS thing.

2. Also I again get lucky like Stealth 993 and do not have to rig the speedo and reverse lines.
I have the DPS amp too, no issue. The wiring is a piece of cake.... no worries.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't sweat the reverse wire hookup - unless you like to drive around a lot in reverse it won't make a difference. I never hooked my reverse line up and have yet to notice any issues.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Chuck, if you need help, come on over & we can do the install.

Yes, you NEED the speed wire hooked up, if you don't it will never sync & the NAV will not work.

Quick Reply: HK Traffic Pro question