Sponsored by: DashLynx

La Quinta, CA -Palm Springs - HELP ON LOOKING AT A CAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I spoke to the seller today. Sounded like a good guy and a very decent car.

I was thinking pretty seriously about buying it. At the end I did not pull the trigger. My own 993 is parked on the street and this one would simply be a shame to park there among car-inconsiderate Obama-backing tree-hugging personal-property-oblivious overgrown children of the 60s Cambridge residents that park purely by the sound of cracking bumpers. Arrrrgh. I love the color.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:53 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
See my post above. He and his dad can be counted upon.

I thought it would go to $31. I'm glad it stayed in the family...nice job!
Wow, looks like I got this confused with the other thread about the car.....so I didn't even look at the posts above, and your description!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:39 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
.... My own 993 is parked on the street and this one would simply be a shame to park there among car-inconsiderate Obama-backing tree-hugging personal-property-oblivious overgrown children of the 60s Cambridge residents that park purely by the sound of cracking bumpers. Arrrrgh. I love the color.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hello from storm damaged Louisville

Hello from storm damaged Louisville, KY. We had the winds from hurricane Ike last Sunday and wiped out power to just about all of Louisville, INCLUDING ME! I still do not have power and am typing this from my wife's office. All week long I was stopping by friend's shops and businesses to use the computer and watch the auction. Being that things are in a tailspin here I just put in a bid that I hoped would win, and as luck would have it I won. I didn't win by much (my max bid was 22,993.00). Miles are a little high for me, but the color is what I was wanting. I have BIG plans for the car since it is going to be a keeper. I have been looking for this color since I toatled my yellow car. As soon as I get it I will be posting the progress. Now where are those posts about Sport Seats for sale.......

Originally Posted by FisterD
Any news on this?
Mike??????? Is she going to be yours?
Bought it last night

Originally Posted by Topless in Temecula
Mike - PM me if you still need someone to good out and look at the car. I'm about an hour away but its a fun drive and I'd be happy to help out.

Peter
I saw your post and thank you very much, but as I stated above it has been a real cluster around here this week.

Originally Posted by samsnead
Less than 2 hours left, are you going to buy this Mike?
YEP!

Originally Posted by samsnead
$22,600 WOW

Hope it was someone here.
It was. ME

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Winner (Springhill01) is registered in KY . Hummmmm

Me thinks great buy. Congrats.
Me hopes so. Thanks Mark

Originally Posted by MarkD
incredible.
Mike, I really hope you snagged it. Assuming all the big stuff is OK, that is a great deal, even with the miles.
Riviera... I am jealous
Hey Mark. Patience is a real virtue on this color. Of course I have none, patience that is, now I need to sell that Midnight Blue Metallic cab I just finished.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Sounds like "go for it" to me....

==================================================

First let me start by saying "YOU BASTARD"....Having said that, I mean no disrespect, since I like your parents, but this is just cruel making me go drive this on a bright sunny day.

I really liked the car. I want it, but that would spell messy divorce in my future. The car is very clean for 95K, and it shows that it has lived its whole life in the garage. It drove great, no strange wobbles, pulling, shakes, etc. Brakes worked geat. Clutch is softer/ more civilized than earlier 911's, but I am unsure of how this compares to other 993's. It pulled strong through most geears up to red,except I did not test to red in fifth and sixth due to liking my license so much that I don't want to lose it. The steering is not notchy at all, like some 911s get with age. The stainless aftermarket exhaust was definately louder than stock, but not obtrusive at all. The lower stiffer springs were noticible, but not bothersome.

It did have a few tiny scrapes on the door handle and on the drivers fender that are barely noticible. The drives door has some door (I think I will call them waves because they are not deep enought to be dings) marks right at the belt line. The carpet has rolled down in one spot, and Rich is having Desert European re glue that. The roof works great. It has the wind screen. It is missing one trim panel on the side of the seat, that he sould have Desert European fix when he gets it. I did smell a tiny bit of burning oil at the end of our long drive, but it was a tiny bit. Not like it had a major drip. Has an aftermarket stereo that does not look anywhere near as good as an OEM stereo. The leather is in great shape for its age.

The AC blows nice and cold, and it was 104 when itook it out today.

Has no rear tread left at all...needs 2 rear tires.

He has replaced the top, the clutch, the rear main seal, and other large maintenance items in the last few years. The color is more striking in the sun than the photos show.

Overall, I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I have that contractual document I told you about earlier in the email that hinders my ability to feed my automotive addiction (time for a 12 step meeting).

P.S. Dad approved as well (and he is a life long porsche owner......at least as long as before my life) his only comment was something about the color drawing the wrong type of people in an area where more than 30% are alternative lifestyle.

Have a good week,-Spence

dcdude68

Thanks so much for the posting on the condition. It was a real help in my decision. I have also talked to the owner a few times this week and he seems on the up and up. Thanks again your posting was truly a great help.

Mike
Old 09-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Still have no power so responses may be at a later date. I have had no power for 6 days now. Ain't life grand.

Mike
Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great to hear! But my '95 sport seats are now committed...........
Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Bought it last night
OUTSTANDING... Your projects are a pleasure to watch.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:56 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
dcdude68

Thanks so much for the posting on the condition. It was a real help in my decision. I have also talked to the owner a few times this week and he seems on the up and up. Thanks again your posting was truly a great help.

Mike
Happy to help. To me, it's criminal if someone has a chance to help but doesn't. Pay it forward. Look me up next time you're in So Cal. Last time I was in KY was in 1984 when I sailed a Sunfish across Lake Barkley and back, dodging tankers all the way. My parents would not have been pleased.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! Looking forward to watching the progress. Got lucky, our power came back Wednesday. Let me know if I can lend a hand while your power is out or when you start work on the new car.

John
Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by jhummel68
Congrats! Looking forward to watching the progress. Got lucky, our power came back Wednesday. Let me know if I can lend a hand while your power is out or when you start work on the new car.

John
Hey John how is it going? They just turned on my power last night at 8:30PM. We went almost 1 week without power over here. I am playing catch-up today. I was just over in your neck of the woods around 3:00 running around in the Midnight Blue Cab I just completed. Have a good one and thanks for the offer. We need to get together I want to see your car.

Mike
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to see the car. Congrats!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:34 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome Mike! I don't have any stock headers in my possession. I put the message out and will let you know if anything surfaces.
So are the Stage IIs going on the Riv or Mid Blue cab?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Hey...... What's it's name.....? Or, will that be a new post?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Hey...... What's it's name.....? Or, will that be a new post?
No name as of yet. Any suggestions?

Mike

Quick Reply: La Quinta, CA -Palm Springs - HELP ON LOOKING AT A CAR