Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   La Quinta, CA -Palm Springs - HELP ON LOOKING AT A CAR (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/454437-la-quinta-ca-palm-springs-help-on-looking-at-a-car.html)

Arena993 09-14-2008 01:19 PM

La Quinta, CA -Palm Springs - HELP ON LOOKING AT A CAR

La Quinta, CA 92253 or Palm Springs, CA

I have contacted a the owner of a car that I am very intrested in and 1 step away from buying. I would really appreciate a Rennlister's eyes on this car. Of course I will cover all your time and expenses, but I live in Kentucky and it is to far to come out there just for a look. I have already talked to the owner and he is fine with doing this. He is just waiting on me. Please PM me if you can help.

Mike

AOW162435 09-14-2008 03:44 PM

Smurf?

Andreas

RJT 09-14-2008 04:22 PM

Do I know this car???

SHOOOOT!!!! Robert just left for Arizona 10 minutes ago!!! I know he would have happily went and checked the car out for you. I can go look at it, but I do not have the 'eye' for seeing things that might be mechanically amiss.....

Is Seege still around RL? I believe he lived in Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert which is even closer than I am to the car........

DARN!!!!!

dcdude 09-14-2008 06:16 PM

I have a very good buddy and car nut in La Quinta. Email me the details and I'll forward it on.

FisterD 09-15-2008 06:52 PM

Any news on this?
Mike??????? Is she going to be yours?

Topless in Temecula 09-16-2008 12:28 PM

Mike - PM me if you still need someone to good out and look at the car. I'm about an hour away but its a fun drive and I'd be happy to help out.

Peter

dcdude 09-16-2008 04:36 PM

Drive and overview report, courtesy of my La Quinta gearhead buddy

Sounds like "go for it" to me....

==================================================

First let me start by saying "YOU BASTARD"....Having said that, I mean no disrespect, since I like your parents, but this is just cruel making me go drive this on a bright sunny day.

I really liked the car. I want it, but that would spell messy divorce in my future. The car is very clean for 95K, and it shows that it has lived its whole life in the garage. It drove great, no strange wobbles, pulling, shakes, etc. Brakes worked geat. Clutch is softer/ more civilized than earlier 911's, but I am unsure of how this compares to other 993's. It pulled strong through most geears up to red,except I did not test to red in fifth and sixth due to liking my license so much that I don't want to lose it. The steering is not notchy at all, like some 911s get with age. The stainless aftermarket exhaust was definately louder than stock, but not obtrusive at all. The lower stiffer springs were noticible, but not bothersome.

It did have a few tiny scrapes on the door handle and on the drivers fender that are barely noticible. The drives door has some door (I think I will call them waves because they are not deep enought to be dings) marks right at the belt line. The carpet has rolled down in one spot, and Rich is having Desert European re glue that. The roof works great. It has the wind screen. It is missing one trim panel on the side of the seat, that he sould have Desert European fix when he gets it. I did smell a tiny bit of burning oil at the end of our long drive, but it was a tiny bit. Not like it had a major drip. Has an aftermarket stereo that does not look anywhere near as good as an OEM stereo. The leather is in great shape for its age.

The AC blows nice and cold, and it was 104 when itook it out today.

Has no rear tread left at all...needs 2 rear tires.

He has replaced the top, the clutch, the rear main seal, and other large maintenance items in the last few years. The color is more striking in the sun than the photos show.

Overall, I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I have that contractual document I told you about earlier in the email that hinders my ability to feed my automotive addiction (time for a 12 step meeting).

P.S. Dad approved as well (and he is a life long porsche owner......at least as long as before my life) his only comment was something about the color drawing the wrong type of people in an area where more than 30% are alternative lifestyle.

Have a good week,-Spence

samsnead 09-19-2008 09:07 PM

Less than 2 hours left, are you going to buy this Mike?

Mark Harris 09-19-2008 09:58 PM

49 minutes left an it's stuck at $21,100. Gotta think it will jump to at least $25 in the last few seconds.

samsnead 09-19-2008 10:48 PM

$22,600 WOW

Hope it was someone here.

Mark Harris 09-19-2008 10:57 PM

Winner (Springhill01) is registered in KY :icon107:. Hummmmm

Me thinks great buy. Congrats. :thumbup:

MarkD 09-19-2008 11:14 PM

incredible.
Mike, I really hope you snagged it. Assuming all the big stuff is OK, that is a great deal, even with the miles.
Riviera... I am jealous

Chuck W. 09-19-2008 11:31 PM

Wow.... If I was in the market I would have gone to 25K .....

race911 09-20-2008 12:14 AM

Did anyone go look at it to determine if all was as it appeared to be? I emailed the seller, but no way could I do more than place a token bid. Which, oddly would have been higher than the sales price! But we don't know how high the winner would have gone, do we?

All is moot now. See other post about the $8500 '94 cab I picked up today. Will be fine for a driver, and my wife really did not like the blue top with the Riviera Blue.

dcdude 09-20-2008 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by race911 (Post 5825847)
Did anyone go look at it to determine if all was as it appeared to be?

See my post above. He and his dad can be counted upon.

I thought it would go to $31. I'm glad it stayed in the family...nice job!