Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Where it the stock market going?
Higher Sht Term - Usual year end run followed by weakness in '09
0%
Higher Lng Term - Sept is the bottom, market leads economy by 6-9mos
23.94%
Sideways - "Noise" day to day but ultimately nowhere
30.99%
Lower - This will feed on itself. Unempl, Bad Balance Sheets, Low confdnc, etc.
45.07%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

OT - For all you Hedge Fund managers! ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by sublimate
Speaking of busting *****...

I'm just bitter because you called the drop in energy at the right time and I got caught a bit out.

I'd be short the Euro now, long USD, although doing both is a bit dangerous. The issues at hand in Euroland are worse than here.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I'd be short the Euro now, long USD, although doing both is a bit dangerous. The issues at hand in Euroland are worse than here.
someone, please exaplain to me why the USD is gaining momentum! I dont see any good enws for the economy, fed reserve, deficit, etc....

I sell all USD before it comaes back down to where it should be, but what do I know

then again, whats currency to you hold????? the situation seems to suck everywhere!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
someone, please exaplain to me why the USD is gaining momentum! I dont see any good enws for the economy, fed reserve, deficit, etc....

I sell all USD before it comaes back down to where it should be, but what do I know

then again, whats currency to you hold????? the situation seems to suck everywhere!!!
While the US might be experiencing a bit of trouble now, it's far less trouble than what Euroland and certain parts of Asia are in. The US is still considered the "safe haven" for money, so money flows here. Also, the Euro remains grossly overvalued versus many currencies especially the USD. Put the two together and you'll have the Euro/USD at parity within the next 18 months.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

It is my personnal opinion, and in a debate form not a challenge
In general and in particular today, the europeen union is well off than the US financially.
In the EU, recession is primarily because of the huge rise in necessity costs and slightly because of subprimes.
In the US, Both subprimes and cost of necessities, oil, metals, etc hit their MAX on the US economy.

The US govt' approved the Bln 700 bail-out, this means in simple form:
The US govt is going to issue govt' bonds and sell those bonds.
Around HALF of these bonds will normally be bought by international org's and gov', France, UK, china germany etc, so we are talking about 350 BILLION dollars.
To purchase these govies' , the international purchasers have to buy those with dollars.
The US tender offers will be spanned on a two year time span approximately.
So I would buy dollars for this period.
Else than that, the US banks, institutions, funds, etc, usually had their eggs in two baskets, US and EU.
After the shock we are witnessing, US institutions have to go short of their holdings in EU grab the money and run. Speculators bet on those short intentions, that the US companies would be changing their cash in the EU, to rebeef their companies with US dollars.
Today, the US issued 40 Billion and counting.....

Last edited by geolab; 10-08-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Dollar gained 6% since the post above, today 1.2828 trading

Quick Reply: OT - For all you Hedge Fund managers! ;)