Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Focal or other component speaker sizing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me be more specific -- I said I wanted to keep the tweeter cover intact, so the car would look stock. Maybe he wanted to replace the tweeter cover?? Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt....

The guy's name is Rod Birch, he has been very highly spoken of on the board in other threads.....

Nevertheless, I thought it was odd that it was "not possible" to mount a decent replacement tweeter where the Nokia one sits now, keeping the same tweeter cover -- what is it, the Nokia people make miniature tweeters and no one else does?

In any case, let's say I want to put in a three-way setup in the doors, replace the amp so as to provide the proper crossover signal/power, and keep the headunit -- what is the best value system that will fit and meet my needs of listening to clear talk radio at highway speeds in a cab??

Thanks -----
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Rod Birch, from what I have gathered, is a very well respected installer with a number of P-car and 993=specific installs. I am certain that there is some sort of miscommunication going on here, as I'm sure he would simply say that he can't put 3-way system in a Hi-Fi enclosure.

As a matter of fact I am currently holding in my hand a BA tweeter that gits absolutely damn perfectly in place of the nokia tweeter in the 993 angled door enclosure/bubble.

If I was recommending an install, especially for talk radio and not music, I would go with a two-way system, not three way. The tweeter is not critical for talk, so I would not sweat having it angled, or if I did I'd use a system with a small 2" tweet that fits. the mid can be a 5.25' or a 6.5".

I would put the amp under the seat, a Becker or a nakamichi unit in the dash, crossovers in the doors for a two-way system. Which, btw, is the system I'll be installing over this spring/summer (using a/d/s speakers, either Dynaudio or BA tweets, Soundstream amp and Nak 400 head). I have enough old speakers to play with, so we'll see what I like.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
Rod Birch, from what I have gathered, is a very well respected installer with a number of P-car and 993=specific installs. I am certain that there is some sort of miscommunication going on here, as I'm sure he would simply say that he can't put 3-way system in a Hi-Fi enclosure.

As a matter of fact I am currently holding in my hand a BA tweeter that gits absolutely damn perfectly in place of the nokia tweeter in the 993 angled door enclosure/bubble.

If I was recommending an install, especially for talk radio and not music, I would go with a two-way system, not three way. The tweeter is not critical for talk, so I would not sweat having it angled, or if I did I'd use a system with a small 2" tweet that fits. the mid can be a 5.25' or a 6.5".

I would put the amp under the seat, a Becker or a nakamichi unit in the dash, crossovers in the doors for a two-way system. Which, btw, is the system I'll be installing over this spring/summer (using a/d/s speakers, either Dynaudio or BA tweets, Soundstream amp and Nak 400 head). I have enough old speakers to play with, so we'll see what I like.
Maybe the "enclosure" piece is what he was talking about -- this is the thing inside the door that holds the speakers in place, not the grills that are visible from outside?

If there are no three-way speaker sets that fit where the Nokias are, what does one do? Buy an enclosure designed for the Focal speakers or whatever?

I'd like to get a three way system and I would be willing to pay extra to get it. What is the most economical three way system out there and how do I get it installed?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rod Birch told me he sells a Hertz 3 way system that goes in the HiFi cars. But, he recommends ditching the HiFi enclosure and going with Focal 2 ways.

I am about to put something in mine and I think it's likely I will put a 5.25" set in the HiFi enclosures, which I will use some DynaFill and Dynamat on, and possibly shallow 6.5" subs on the rear deck. Fot the fronts, I am leaning toward Dynaudio. Not sure on amp, maybe Alpine. I have an Alpine head (best iPod control and good display).
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the Focal 2 way set and am very please with it.

See picture

Last edited by delanobe; 05-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
cy7878
Instructor

The stock tweeter pods can be reused to mount aftermarket tweeters. I was able to pop the stock grill out, dremmel the pods out a little and epoxy the tweeters in. They stick out just a little more, but from a far, no way anyone can tell. If I spend more time, I could have dremmel out more and made it more flush.
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I have the Focal 2 way set and am very please with it.
Delanobe,

What model # Focals do you have??
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

It's the 165KR2 set.

Even without an amp it sounds perfect.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Ted,
Looking again at your post, you said that the 3 way dynaudio set up would fit in the hi-fi enclosures but your installer fabricated new waveguides (enclosures) -- why is that? Was there a problem with the stock enclosures?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I too have spoken with Rod about speaker choices, and I've purchased his pre-made sub boxes.
While I'm speaking for someone else, I think what Rod is saying is that to simply do a speaker change, a 2-way component set in the doors is done with the least amount of custom work, and is often the most effective change in our stereo systems. The door cut-outs are the same for both hi-fi and non-upgraded cars, hence the ease with which 2 speakers will fit.
Most likely, his statement is that it is hard to find speakers that fit INTO the existing plastic hi-fi pods. (Although, another Rennlister has done exactly that.)

Anything can be done with the right amount of time and therefore $$.

If you can bring your car to Rod, and explain that you want 3-ways, he or one of his very good custom installers should be able to create something that fits in the doors, yet on the surface, appears no different than stock. This is, although not with Rod unfortunately, what I am planning with my door speaker upgrade.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Russ,
I am many hundreds of miles from Rod -- and in San Diego at least, there doesn't seem to be anyone with comparable experience with 993's.

I'd put in two-way speakers if that was the only way, but would like to keep three speakers in the doors even if it costs more.

Since Rod basically told me to forget that, and other people are telling me it can be done, it leaves a little bit of a quandry.

I'll wait a couple of weeks but if I can't figure out another less expensive system than the dynaudio, I guess I'll just buy that and try to find someone who can install it.

The most amazing thing to me is that Porsche would come up with a system in which anything other than a straight replacement with OEM creates such a massive hassle!! Why did they have to create a system that is out of spec with just about everything else, plus it's poor quality to begin with? And to contract with NOKIA for stereo speakers? What's up with that?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:04 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe, try the 968 hifi system.

If you want a bolt in replacement, the easiest thng to do would be a 2 way system with small tweeter and no hifi waveguides or a 5.25" 2 way system with the waveguides (mount tweet in pod or in place of mid on waveguide).

If you go 3 way, the most straightforward way will be with a 5.25" woofer.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by zone5
Maybe the "enclosure" piece is what he was talking about -- this is the thing inside the door that holds the speakers in place, not the grills that are visible from outside?

If there are no three-way speaker sets that fit where the Nokias are, what does one do? Buy an enclosure designed for the Focal speakers or whatever?

I'd like to get a three way system and I would be willing to pay extra to get it. What is the most economical three way system out there and how do I get it installed?
I have my own Hi-Fi enclosures sitting on the dining room floor right now. There's absolutely no problem to fit 5.25 and 3.5' speakers in there, but even 6.5" and 4" should fit.

Pretty much every decent manufacturer makes 3-way components now. You might want to look at Audiobahn for an inexpensive solution. DEI makes some very good sets. Dynaudio, of course, is very good even if an overkill. And there are, literally dozens of others out there based on budget and SQ needed.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zone5
Ted,
Looking again at your post, you said that the 3 way DynAudio set up would fit in the hi-fi enclosures but your installer fabricated new waveguides (enclosures) -- why is that?
Was there a problem with the stock enclosures?
I just returned from vacation and wanted to clarify a few points from my earlier posts:
  • The door panel looks completely stock after the DynAudio 340 installation.
  • The exterior OEM grilles and carpet are maintained with the installation.
  • The interior waveguide is discarded and a custom enclosure is fabricated.
The system is exceptionally clear and crisp even when driven on the highway with the windows down ... a single Nakamichi amp is used for the front stage.

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I just bought this and plan to install using my own 'adapter plate' made from wood if it does not fit the OEM openings. They are the last MbQuarts made in Germany and the price is a bargain. Looks like the next winter project ...

http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuse...8807&aff=72182

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

Quick Reply: Focal or other component speaker sizing