Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

3rd Brake Light -> LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a note that i found that the white LED's behind the red lens resulted with a salmon colour light so I decided to switch to red LED's instead.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Just a note that i found that the white LED's behind the red lens resulted with a salmon colour light so I decided to switch to red LED's instead.
Was the change dramatic enough to warrant the work?

Andreas
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
I have to say definitely YES . Thanks Hans for doing BluByU`s third brake lights with the red LEDs .

Again I have seen both white and the red LEDs . Red LEDs makes the brake lights look like it is suppose to .

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 05-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about to buy a couple bulbs but would favor converting to LEDs. Any chance you have any red kits left? If not, where did you source the LEDs?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warpig
I still have a bunch of the original lamps sitting here collecting dust too that I'd be willing to pass along to people in need. I don't need them anymore

Nick
Hey Nick,

Any chance you have any more kits? Red would be great. PM sent.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Andreas - I have to say Yes as well.
It was an easy fix after sourcing the red LED's - I suppose the white LED's are just too bright in comparison to the white incandescent bulbs.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Warpig
Pro

WOW! 8 pm's about this in the past 2 days. I sent a bunch of pm's already on the subject. a few minutes ago but didnt reach everyone yet. I may have a couple of white kits laying around. I will have to look. It sounds like a run on red is in order... I may have to revisit the red myself. Living alone I haven't been able to activate my brakes and stand back enough that I can see that the white isn't that great. They looked pretty good to me up close at an arms length in the dark. lol

Let me see what I may have. Give me a few days to see what I have laying around. it sounds like a red batch may be in demand. Let me see whats here. I'll also figure out over the next couple days whether I want to go through putting together and coordinating more kits to ship or if I will just find my parts/supplier list and post it. it's no secret. I am not trying to turn a profit. I just have to find the correct info again.

Nick
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Warpig
WOW! 8 pm's about this in the past 2 days. I sent a bunch of pm's already on the subject. a few minutes ago but didnt reach everyone yet. I may have a couple of white kits laying around. I will have to look. It sounds like a run on red is in order... I may have to revisit the red myself. Living alone I haven't been able to activate my brakes and stand back enough that I can see that the white isn't that great. They looked pretty good to me up close at an arms length in the dark. lol

Let me see what I may have. Give me a few days to see what I have laying around. it sounds like a red batch may be in demand. Let me see whats here. I'll also figure out over the next couple days whether I want to go through putting together and coordinating more kits to ship or if I will just find my parts/supplier list and post it. it's no secret. I am not trying to turn a profit. I just have to find the correct info again.

Nick
Hey Nick,

I PM'd you and haven't heard back yet, but that's fine.

Even if you make up a bunch of kits, it would be great if you also posted the parts/supplier. I have solder, braid (I like to remove all of the old solder), shrink tubing etc. to do the job.

Also, you could use a correct length of 2x4 etc. to push the brake pedal down (towel at the seat end) in order to see the brake lights.

BTW, does "Warpig" refer to the Black Sabbath song?

Thanks

Last edited by CADguy; 05-18-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add trivia:
Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I'll do a red kit as well when you re-up!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Red LED's on Guy's Cab:

Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently did this conversion - just buy 30 RED T5 Leds off ebay - these are 12V and a straight drop in replacement for the original bulbs, with no added resistors, wiring changes etc. You have to take the little red plastic mount off each LED and then dog leg the wires like the original bulbs to adjust for height and alingment. Took all of 60 minutes from start to finish. Red is definitely the way to go.

Get them here:

RED T5 LEDs
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM
911MSN
Advanced

i think i am going to do this as well on my 96 c4 cab... :-)

I just placed an order for 30 12V red LEDs for $7.50 + $8 shipping.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deekay911
I recently did this conversion - just buy 30 RED T5 Leds off ebay - these are 12V and a straight drop in replacement for the original bulbs, with no added resistors, wiring changes etc. You have to take the little red plastic mount off each LED and then dog leg the wires like the original bulbs to adjust for height and alingment. Took all of 60 minutes from start to finish. Red is definitely the way to go.
Just wondering - what is the MCD on those?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Just wondering - what is the MCD on those?

Andreas
Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by CADguy
Hey Nick,

I PM'd you and haven't heard back yet, but that's fine.

Even if you make up a bunch of kits, it would be great if you also posted the parts/supplier. I have solder, braid (I like to remove all of the old solder), shrink tubing etc. to do the job.

Also, you could use a correct length of 2x4 etc. to push the brake pedal down (towel at the seat end) in order to see the brake lights.

BTW, does "Warpig" refer to the Black Sabbath song?

Thanks
I may have to cut me a 2x4...

Yes "Warpig" is from The Sabbath tune. Love Sabbath!

I will post my parts list as soon as I re locate it. lol

Originally Posted by deekay911

Get them here:

RED T5 LEDs
This looks like a great option. Wish they were available a year ago. for less than $20 including shipping for 30 of them I would have done that in a minute. nice find. I would be interested in seeing pictures of the installed product.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light -> LEDs