Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

3rd Brake Light -> LEDs

Old 09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Its a good excuse to get out in the garage, no?
You know, you have a very good point Justin

My Wife is starting to wonder why I'm spending so much time in the garage these days. Might as well have a valid excuse to do so. I go out there to just look at it several times a day. It's hard to believe it's mine, and I never get tired of looking at it .
Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
I replaced mine a few years ago and haven't had an issue since. Regardless, the schematics would be on the workshop manual. Maybe someone here can scan the page. Otherwise, just follow the wire down to were it gets power and put the resistor there. You might even be able to fit it right in the assembly on the roof.
Mark provided a link: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

I'll see if it will work for me. If I do replace the bulbs with LEDs, it should fit just fine, the LEDs shouldn't be any larger than the bulbs.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by CADguy
Hey Cactus,

I think you mean that he gave you the incandescent bulbs, not LEDs, right?
I have the replacements and the DIY, but I was thinking about replacing all of the existing bulbs with LEDs. I just need to see the schematic.

Gary
I just assumed they were LED's since they are so small. I like the LED replacement idea though. Subscribed......
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just did my 3rd brake light in all LED s. I did it because of all the bulbs that need to be replaced. Since I had it out I just did LED's. the look is great at night.

Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arena993
I just did my 3rd brake light in all LED s. I did it because of all the bulbs that need to be replaced. Since I had it out I just did LED's. the look is great at night.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Bingo , I was hoping someone would have at least thought about this by now.

Could you please provide some details:

- what LEDs did you use? white? super brights?
- where did you get them?
- did you just solder in the LEDs where the incandescent bulbs were? same height?
- did you have to add a current limiting resistor?

Thanks, you made my day!

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Mike,

Bingo , I was hoping someone would have at least thought about this by now.

Could you please provide some details:

- what LEDs did you use? white? super brights?
- where did you get them?
- did you just solder in the LEDs where the incandescent bulbs were? same height?
- did you have to add a current limiting resistor?

Thanks, you made my day!

Gary
what LEDs did you use? white? super brights?

I used the super bright red led's. The whites wash out the red lens believe it or not.

where did you get them?

A friend of mike is LED crazy he has a ton of these. Many websites offer them for sale like www.superbrightled.com

did you just solder in the LEDs where the incandescent bulbs were? same height?

I didn't even use the existing strip though I guess you could. The bulbs I used were a touch smaller so I took a small piece of clear tubing the length of the bulb socket and the LED's slid right in.

did you have to add a current limiting resistor?

I soldered them in series of six using 1 resistor per grouping Some said and say each bulb needed a resistor but I didn't see it being needed. I think there are 18-24 bulbs IIRC.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, thanks for the detailed information - any photos available of the final product?
Someone should consider mass producing the LED light strip for the 993 ...
I used the super bright red led's. The whites wash out the red lens believe it or not.
where did you get them?
A friend of mike is LED crazy he has a ton of these. Many websites offer them for sale like www.superbrightled.com
I didn't even use the existing strip though I guess you could. The bulbs I used were a touch smaller so I took a small piece of clear tubing the length of the bulb socket and the LED's slid right in.
I soldered them in series of six using 1 resistor per grouping Some said and say each bulb needed a resistor but I didn't see it being needed. I think there are 18-24 bulbs IIRC.
Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the original poster is a PCB designer, you are halfway there.
The only remaining question is how you want to configure the LED's....series, parallel or a combination.....or how you want to power them.......vehicle 12V bus with dropping resistor or active IC power supply (current source).

Childsplay.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 AM
MDamen
Pro

Do a search on LED brake light and you'll find some additional info on series/parallel and resistors.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ed+light+brake

Last edited by MDamen; 11-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:32 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Hey Mike. How do we add a strip of LED to the Turbo wing on a Cab? As I no longer have the 3rd brake light, I am wondering if this is a possibility? Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Hey 95FL993CAB, I was thinking, have you contacted a stereo installer yet? Mine is one of the top 10 installers in the country, and he can do ANYTHING with plastic. It would be very easy to mold the original brake light lens into the rear wing and make it look OEM. He turned the center dash panel of my New Beetle from a single-DIN to a double-DIN to fit a 7" nav screen, and it looks so good that it looks like it was from the factory. A light should be pretty easy, but you'd have to repaint the wing.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

You have a good point. I am trying, if possible, to not get in to paint, but I am not sure I would be able to avoid that. There must be a solution, but it is eluding me right now
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I figured that if there are already five burned out at 34k miles, it will be an ongoing thing to replace burned out ones. If I replace all of them with LEDs now, it would pretty much be the last time I have to worry about the 3rd brake light. Gary
I Really like the Idea of LEDs because of the increased brightness to ward off tailgaters .

OTOH sometimes the bulbs aren't really burned out. On my '96 (64K miles)I thought I had several bad bulbs but when I took the light apart, I found that where I thought I had bad bulbs, I really had bad solder joints (or even lack of solder) I just Re-soldered the bad ones and went over the rest of 'em and all are working well at this point.
Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I figured that if there are already five burned out at 34k miles, it will be an ongoing thing to replace burned out ones. If I replace all of them with LEDs now, it would pretty much be the last time I have to worry about the 3rd brake light.
Unless the connection at the top of the rear window is bad, which happens a lot, and could be the reason why all of the lights are out.

You can quickly pull off the 3rd brake light housing, unbolt the lights, and see if you're getting 12 volts.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 PM
CADguy
Instructor

where did you get them?

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info. I think I may move forward with this. I would design a drop in PCB with LEDs to make it easy to install. Once I design it, I'll have to see if there is enough demand to justify the cost.

Thanks again,

Gary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light -> LEDs