993 Forum 1995-1998

993 immobilizer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993 immobilizer replacement

Hello. Thought Id try here before calling Sunset Porsche and my local dealer tommorrow.

The car is a 1997 993C2 Cab. About 6 months ago, I had taken it in to the local dealer with a new remote that I had bought, so they could program it...however the dealer was unsuccessful with this. The Immobilizer light would not flash and he couldnt get the car in to "program mode". He stated that it could be a bad immobilizer or another problem in the system such as a bad stereo hookup that was shorting something out etc.

I didnt do anything because the car still started, just held tightly to my original remote because its all I have that works/programed.

Today on the way home as I put it in the garage, the Immobilizer light started flashing rapidly. It has never done this before. The 993 manual says to take it to the dealer. So, Im assuming that there is a major issue going on.

So I have a few questions:
1) How expensive is a new immobilizer?
2) Can I install this part myself... is it some big deal to install or does it just plug or screw in?

Thx very much.
The following users liked this post:
CraigDK (12-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Ryan C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pelican has them listed for your car at $1356 BTW PN 993 618 159 02. It's easy to install once you remove the passenger seat. But once it's installed it has to have the remote programmed to it. The way this is done is with a code that the only the dealership has. You then put the key in the door and turn it back and fourth acccording to the code. It can be tedious if you loose count. But basically your looking at having to take it to the dealer.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LORD I would love to lose the immobilizer entirely.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 422 Posts

Just like K-Mart, immobilzers SUCK!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is definitely a market for something that would eliminate the immobilizer from the 993 system. As these cars get older these will need to be replaced. I just had to replace on on my wife's '97 Cab recently.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
There is definitely a market for something that would eliminate the immobilizer from the 993 system..
OK, so I'm an electrical engineer (who designed electronics for Porsche at one time), my wife complains everytime she drives her Targa due to the immoblizer, everyone has said it's impossible to bypass the immobilizer in these cars........at cursory glance I can envision a box that replaces/bypasses this function.......there must be a reason why someone hasn't done it yet.

What am I missing?

No, I really don't want to do it, but I am (technically) curious.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

I would pay a couple hundred bucks for a plug-in box that would remove the immobilizer-- or even a kit (similar to the OBD-to-PC board that was sold through here). I'd LOVE to get rid of the thing and just use a simple key.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Is the immobilizer itself a separate box from the main computer, or is it totally integrated with the computer control system?

If it's separate, there has to be a way to put in a substitute that satisfies the main computer without actually having to toggle it with an RF signal...
Old 12-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Jeff Bobbins
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default immobilizer code

Originally Posted by Ryan C
Pelican has them listed for your car at $1356 BTW PN 993 618 159 02. It's easy to install once you remove the passenger seat. But once it's installed it has to have the remote programmed to it. The way this is done is with a code that the only the dealership has. You then put the key in the door and turn it back and fourth acccording to the code. It can be tedious if you loose count. But basically your looking at having to take it to the dealer.
The new code comes on the new immobilizer. there are two stickers with the serial number and the four digit code is outlined in a box. The dealer doesn't have to do it and they would not have the new code it is on the box. If you buy a used one and the code sticker is not on it then you can never code it.

Quick Reply: 993 immobilizer replacement