Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just couldn't resist

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

We are still playing with numbers. I'm getting some prices from Pelican for the parts. They are tucking us here, even with the exchange rate.
Might know more later today.
This car is sound but was not owned by an enthusiast, and items are basic maintenance.
I can make it live again!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
sydneymark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if the same applies in NZ but here in Australia ...

imports attract a high tax ...luxury cars especially high... as the Government is subsidising Ford and GM to keep domestic production.

Looking at how cheap a 993 TT is in the UK by the time its landed / tested / approved its pushed its price to close to local prices

Most Aus cars dont see snow / salt ..bit like a CA car ...so body work out of the UK is a worry and most local buyers only want an Aus deliverd car

As for parts / repairs ...to get a clutch put in your looking at $3-4k ... on an opportunity cost basis ...my time is more valuable in the business
Old 09-04-2008, 01:24 AM
993MAN
Drifting

The clutch is about the same here. $3500.00. I was thinking about a LWF but don't know if I can bothered, especially for the type of driving I do.
Imported cars here are selling for the same price as NZ new now, partly because the 993S cars are just so rare. We can't import now anyway, unless they are older than 1988, or newer than 2000. That rules out any new imported 993's for a start.
It looks like I am buying this one though. I'm just waiting on another price to fit the clutch, front shocks, check strap etc.
Actually Im really looking forward to getting this car into my garage where I can give it the treatment it deserves.
I will have this car looking primo in no time.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Tania W
Racer

Onya dude...good luck.
Who did you get to do the PPI?
Cheers
Old 09-04-2008, 02:29 AM
sydneymark
Advanced

Good luck ... hope the price comes down to reflect the work needed.

I am sure after a bit of TLC it will be back and tearing up the road like all good P cars.

the 993 C2S or C4S look great but with my driveway and me !! (ex rugby prop) I would rip the bottom out
Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tania W
Onya dude...good luck.
Who did you get to do the PPI?
Cheers
Hi Tania
It was Giltraps. Hopefully this will all be sorted soon.

Sydneymark,
Give Robbie Deans a call mate, he needs you!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Just to clarify a few things and a disclaimer that I am no expert on this but... It may be of interest to some of you that government have proposed to allow left hand drive vehicles that come under the 'special interest vehicle' category to be registered and used in NZ. This widens the scope a bit for importing sports cars less than 20 years old.

There are also other changes, like removing ownership restrictions for LHD cars over 20 years old.

The 'special interest vehicle' category is very interesting especially if you want to import a 993RS which I know you thought was out of the question Graham. See here http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/44b.html

The consultation document is available here although its expired:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/fronta...ment-2008.html

LHD details http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/con...ent/index.html

Lastly here is a US car in NZ http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=170649360 although as Macca mentioned to me via email the gearing would be all wrong for NZ. I wonder if it would suffer SAI issues too? Lastly being such a small country this car will prove difficult to sell due to it's providence.

Hope that is of some help

I personally wouldn't buy the 4S Graham but only for the reasons you have complained about over the 2S. I would be concerned that in 12 months time you would get itchy feet again. In saying that the 993 is, I think my favourite over the 965 but only just

Good luck

Quick Reply: just couldn't resist