O/T: Car Radio in a Porsche- This Has Always Baffled Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default O/T: Car Radio in a Porsche- This Has Always Baffled Me

Hi,

This to me has always been one of those mysteries that I admit my little brain just cannot comprehend.

I have read numerous posts on Bose Radio upgrade, after market tweeters and items as such. Especially for newer Porsche forums (996, 997 and Cayman), there are endless discussions on selecting the radio-upgrade options. Yet every time I start my engine, be it my Ruf or my Cayman, I cannot understand how ANY components can make a difference in the sound quality in the car when the engine is running.

I am not talking about enjoying the exhaust note versus the radio. I'm saying, with the exhaust levels typical of a Porsche, or any sports car for that matter, and our hearing, how can one possibly judge that the up-grade system has a better sound. A louder and/or a more resonating bass may be, but sound? Of course I can see someone equating a stronger bass as better sound. Just not me. To me a great sound system delineates the higher notes, presents the background accomplement in clearer tones, etc.

It is possible that one could sit in the car and just listen to songs with the engine off, then obviously a better sound system will deliver better performance, but I'm sorry, once the engine is on, IMHO, the back-ground engine noise renders any sound up-grade useless.

I am by no means an audiophile. I am just stating what I perceive to be common sense to me.

Thanks for your indulgence.

CP
Old 09-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As poor as the Hi-Fi sound system is in my 993, it wouldn't be hard to hear the difference from a modern system even in my car with the rear sound-padding removed. But not enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to upgrade. I see your point tho, Pong: if you're a serious audiophile, the sports car is the wrong car.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

This to me has always been one of those mysteries that I admit my little brain just cannot comprehend.

I have read numerous posts on Bose Radio upgrade, after market tweeters and items as such. Especially for newer Porsche forums (996, 997 and Cayman), there are endless discussions on selecting the radio-upgrade options. Yet every time I start my engine, be it my Ruf or my Cayman, I cannot understand how ANY components can make a difference in the sound quality in the car when the engine is running.

I am not talking about enjoying the exhaust note versus the radio. I'm saying, with the exhaust levels typical of a Porsche, or any sports car for that matter, and our hearing, how can one possibly judge that the up-grade system has a better sound. A louder and/or a more resonating bass may be, but sound? Of course I can see someone equating a stronger bass as better sound. Just not me. To me a great sound system delineates the higher notes, presents the background accomplement in clearer tones, etc.

It is possible that one could sit in the car and just listen to songs with the engine off, then obviously a better sound system will deliver better performance, but I'm sorry, once the engine is on, IMHO, the back-ground engine noise renders any sound up-grade useless.

I am by no means an audiophile. I am just stating what I perceive to be common sense to me.

Thanks for your indulgence.

CP
You simply bought a car that makes too much noise. Of course, if you'd stay out of the boost, that might help.

I did do a stereo upgrade and I noticed quite a difference. But I only really use it on long trips and I don't take too many of those.

Funny, I have to turn the radio down at stoplights. For me, taking off is a combination of clutch feel and sound.

chuck
Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't agree more. To me the perfect stereo for a 993 is a 7 out of 10....any more would be lost. Don't get me wrong, I love a great sounding stereo. It's just that my 993 is not the place where you can realize the full benefits - so why bother with effort. I'm in the 993 to enjoy the drive.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 AM
timabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your point is absolutely true. I get the biggest kick out of these silly multiple amp, massive thick gauge connecting wires, custom built speaker boxes, and the inevitable exaltation declaring "amazing sound."

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/03...gers-soun.html

To each his own, but I can't for the life of me understand the point. If the point really is "amazing sound", then I would suggest removing the flat six and replacing it with a nice quiet electric motor. Otherwise, it is a waste of money. If, however, the point is to show how much money one can throw into a dubious (at best) "upgrade" then have at it!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Smiles
Pro

I never upgraded a car stereo. I always thought the stock ones were just fine.

But then I bought my C4S and it had a nice stereo. I wouldn't have paid for it, but I'm glad to have it. And you can hear it, clearly and cleanly, above the sound of the 993.

The RSR mufflers I'm soon to install should change that!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

You can hear the difference.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I couldn't agree more. To me the perfect stereo for a 993 is a 7 out of 10....any more would be lost. Don't get me wrong, I love a great sounding stereo. It's just that my 993 is not the place where you can realize the full benefits - so why bother with effort. I'm in the 993 to enjoy the drive.
+ 1 No matter what system you put in the car, the geometry of a 911 just does not complement it
Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a stereo in my car? :P
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
You can hear the difference.
I am sure you can tell that there is a 'difference' in the sound with a different system. That is not the question or the debate. My point is with all the background noise in a Carrera on the run, how can one truly get the benefit of a top-notch system.

My own experience is, unless I am wearing head phones, even music from nice loud speakers in my home-office does not give me the crystal sound delineation. This is with very low ambient white noise background. In a sports car, the noise 'pollution' level is so pronounced (engine, road, and wind noises combined) I just don't see how even a GREAT system could make a major difference to our ears. Unless you turn on the volume so high that it totally over-powers the ambient noise all together.

Yet posters on various forums debate ad nauseum the virtues of stereo up-grades.

CP
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I realize this has nothing to do with your initial question but it is laterally related. I'm driving to my buddy's house who lives 45 minutes from my house, on the Capital Beltway outside of DC and realize I can't for the life of me hear the show on NPR at all with the volume at full level! I'm straining to hear what they're talking about but my windows are down and the sunroof is open. Nothing is what I can hear, until I begrudgingly close the windows and all of a sudden, I have my talk show back. I wish I would be willing to spend the money to buy a power amp to amplify the great Nakamichi AM FM CD player the previous owner left me in this car, but I'm just not wanting to spend any money on it when I can just as easily loose the visceral thrill of all the wind in my car by closing the windows. With the sunroof open, I can hear it fine.

The A/C also worked alot better with the windows closed so all is still well with my world.

Steve
Old 09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No upgrades here, either. The car came with the "better" sound package, but I'd be hard pressed to find its virtues, much less praise them.

I have pretty good ears, but hearing what the engine is doing is far more interesting to me. I've not even bothered with iPod integration. I'll burn some CD's occasionally, but they don't get listened to with any regularity.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash
There's a stereo in my car? :P
seriously, I haven't turned on the stereo in at least 3 years.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could have bought a car with the money I spent on my custom stereo in my New Beetle Convertible. My installer is one of the top 10 installers in the country, and some of his clients spend six figures on upgrades! However, I REFUSE to touch anything in my 993. In my opinion, it should be left original, or if you can hide upgrades like speakers, maybe that's okay. I love the quirky looks of the Becker head unit and the engine provides great audio entertainment especially with the top don.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, so I took my son back to college today after his Labor Day weekend visit. 300 miles roundtrip. On the way there we talked, didn't turn the radio on. On my way back, I hooked up my ipod and started driving home. It was hot so I was running the A/C. Stereo sounds great with the windows up.

When the sun started to go down, it actually cooled off, so the windows went down and I opened the sunroof (no radio). That was the best part of the drive back.

chuck

Quick Reply: O/T: Car Radio in a Porsche- This Has Always Baffled Me