Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/T: Car Radio in a Porsche- This Has Always Baffled Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 AM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those long drives I added a Kenwood deck, Audison Amps and Focal speakers with Subs. Cruising down the freeway with the top down I can still hear the music...and it sounds great!

With all that wind noise I can't hear the motor anyway...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Investing in an upgraded audio system is somewhat akin to investing in a 993 -- you aren't always able to benefit from all it has to offer, but when you can you sure notice the difference. I drive my 993 to work every day and that often includes sitting in traffic so I definitely appreciate the "Rod Birch" upgrade you can read about in several threads. When the traffic eases up my foot goes down and the recorded music fades away behind the beautiful engine noise.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
tfm
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

As this thread demonstrates, people have different priorities; audiophiles will always be looking for superior sound quality, engine noise or no. Others just don't care about listening to thier car sound system at all. The "average" 993 owner will find that his car's system, especially the base system, after 10 years or so reproduces music poorly.

I found a reasonable balance in my case was to upgrade the sound, and add ipod compatability, without spending money on a system whose finer capabilities are wasted in the noisey environment. I found a good used CDR 220from somebody who was upgrading beyond it in a Boxster and replaced the faceplate. The front speakers were upgraded to some "mid-level" MB Quarts", driven by a 100watt Quarts amp which is hidden in the truck area. The head unit drives the original rear speakers, which are no more than "fill' anyway.
The whole thing looks stock, sounds great at volume and didn't cost a lot. I also put little Clarion sub I found on Ebay for $15 under the front seat. It does the job.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too love the motorsounds and agree with above comments about our 993's.

My stock Alpine radio cassette player is intermittently making a hissing static noise on the left side speakers and will need to likely be upgraded (I drive lots of miles and like to use XM radio and access. CD player off/on).

Any practical upgrade replacements that also look stock and not too costly for above use?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: O/T: Car Radio in a Porsche- This Has Always Baffled Me