Sponsored by:

Radio removal tools stuck in dash - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:45 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio removal tools stuck in dash - HELP

ok - So I bought a CD changer and cable and was about to remove the radio with my special "Audi-VW" DIN tool from Bracketron, Edina, MN. The tool has a front blade which sticks in the slots for the radio and one side of each protrudung front blade has an angle with a slit that engages something and the outside (I thought) edge of the blade is straight with no slit. So I stuck the blades in on both sides with the inside edge being the one with the angle and slit. I heard a "click" on each side. GREAT. Except I cannot pull the radio out and I cannot remove the tools. See Photo. I also tried pushing the radio out from behind the dash with the tools in and no motion at all. Any ideas? The tools are thin and can be cut with shears if I have to...I can't feel it about to work after 5 minutes of trying and don't want to break the tools off.
Charlie
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Charlie,

Are the tools marked "this side up" "L and R" or something to indicate proper insertion?

Whatever you do, don't cut the tools off, or you will have a radio that cannot be removed with damaging it or the dash or both.

Try pulling both of the tool loops inboard while pulling gently outward. It may help to push on the back of the radio (use your third arm for this).
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM
henkinc
Racer

Tried pulliong inboard and also outboard and made no difference. There is no top or bottom on these. They are identical so put them in with angled part of blade inboard or outboard - my choice. Since they "clicked" I must have done something right...uh, maybe. I was able to use "third arm" at the back but to no avail.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The tools should be marked both right and left as well as which side is up.
It may be possible that even though you got a "click" they may be in wrong.
I would suggest you try to remove one at a time, wiggle it a bit in all directions, and keep a slight outward pull. Best case is the tool comes out and you can check orientation, or the unit breaks free a bit and you can work it out. They can be stubborn. It is a tight fit in the back especially where the wiring harness is squished and mashed in the back.
Good Luck
Neil
Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't shear the removal tools off! Although you tried to push the radio out from behind, get back in there again, move the various cables around and use a bit more muscle. Some of the cables found back there may have gotten wedged between the dash and head unit. When I removed my CDR-210 head unit to install something different, I was shocked to discover that someone with meat hooks for hands must have installed the old stereo since the speaker wires were crushed and the wiring loom exposed.

My radio removal tools weren't marked and I inserted them the wrong way and could only get them out once the head unit was free of the dash and I pressed a release spring on the side of the harness cage. Good luck, and give it some more 'persuasion.'
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
henkinc
Racer

Guess I should disengage the battery while I am in there pulling and pushing, right?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't they have to be released from the side of the radio. Pull the radio out again and look at the side of the radio, use a small screw driver to release the radio removal tools. Then push the radio back in.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 AM
henkinc
Racer

Dave - But I can't get the radio out, you see.
Charlie
Old 08-31-2008, 03:21 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try these following methods

Push the radio into the dash more and try to pull it out
Wiggle the key and see if you can pull it out
Wiggle the key and see fi it wil go in more and try to pull the radio out.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Bad. No more late night Rennlist for me.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:41 PM
henkinc
Racer

All - I give up. Can't do it. Will seek professional assistance, albeit noone wants to bother unless they sell you a new audio system. Oh well, maybe the dealer will do me a favor.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

henkinc,
When I pulled mine out recently, the main bundle of wires were cable tied so tight under the dash (under driver's side) that I had to first clip the cable tie and release the wires before I could remove the radio all the way. Also because the keys lock into the radio so that they can be used to pull the radio out, you might try to see if you can get your fingers up to the sides of the radio under/behind the dash to try to push the release clips in towards the body of the radio to release the keys. If you can get the keys out, then maybe photograph them and post so I or someone with marked ones can compare.
Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

you might try to see if you can get your fingers up to the sides of the radio under/behind the dash to try to push the release clips in towards the body of the radio to release the keys
The problem is I think he's got a 210 so the head unit is surrounded by a cage. Worst case you'll have to figure out a way to get the cage to come out by bending open the clips on the cage from behind. Not easy I'm afraid.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 AM
henkinc
Racer

Yes, it is a 210. I cannot discern the geometry of what one is supposed to be doing with the cage, even looking at the DYI pix in

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=becker+210

Further, the tools I bought are same as below and I inserted as shown in the ad

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/br...oval-Tool.html

I think I saw the dealer use thin blade screwdrivers once to remove it, but what is one supposed to be pressing on? To what prupose?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
henkinc
Racer

To 2many cars - I guess you are saying that the tools I bought are for a CDR-220 without a cage. This implies the CDR-210 comes out without such a tool, or the tool just gives a means of pulling the unit rather than pushing from behind. If true, Ishould be able to ectrat the cage as if the tools were not inserted, and then hopefully get them out after the cage is out of the dash. Soooo, how wouild I extract the cage if I had not put the tools in in the first place?
Charlie

Quick Reply: Radio removal tools stuck in dash - HELP