Sponsored by:

OT: Vehicle Profiling

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey Boulderbobo ~ welcome to the Porsche corner of the sports car world! I feel your pain regarding the "ticket'ed one" within the herd traveling on I-36; I've driven the Denver-Boulder hwy. often.

But hey... what can ya do - pay the fine and suck it up. Best of luck with the 993!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Interesting. My Boxster S is red and I have never been stopped in it. I am running the 993 with unbaffled Supercups and have never been stopped.

I think a lot of it is where you live and how aggressive the agencies are on traffic enforcement. Some have a big push because it is a tax generator. Others direct their efforts towards reducing traffic accidents. Some, both.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
This morning (6:40 am) I got a speeding ticket driving to work. 85 in a 65. I was in a group of 5 cars. My position was #2 in the lineup. 3 of us in the left lane 2 in the right. The cruise was set on 80 mph. It is true that I was speeding.GUILTY..but why was I selected for the stop?

This is only the 3rd time I have driven the p-car car to work (only had the car for a few weeks). I have driven Highway 36 between Boulder and Denver 5 days per week for the last 10+ years (yea thats right...over 2500+/- round trips). I get on the same time every morning and about the same time every night. I'm a routine guy. Going in I set the cruise at 80 till I get to Denver. I have never been pulled over before for anything. My usual commuting vehicle is a 2001 Audi S4 (talk about stealth) or a r1200gs. Before that It was a 1996 VW Jetta.

I asked the cop how/why did he pick me out of a group of 5 cars. He got pissed. I pushed it and asked if I got profiled? He got more pissed. His response was I was doing 80 in a 65. I said no ****. So was everyone else. How do these folks look themselves in the mirror?

WTF! [/SIZE]

Sorry for your trouble. I wish you had read my post (#10 in this thread)before you started commuting with your p-car. You have to add time to your commute with a red p-car.

"I always add 5 minutes to my commute(15 min usually) if I take the p-car and make sure I stay within 5 mph of the limit regardless of everyone else passing me. If I'm in my DD(Audi A6) I'm usually 10-15 mph above the speed limit. In other words, with the flow of traffic."
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I've not been pulled over (yet) in my 993, but have in my Jeep. They do seem to look at me more closely, but when I see an officer, I play it extra safe to avoid giving them a reason. I've had them turn around to follow me a bit, but they usually give up after awhile.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Been pulled over 5x in my C4. 1 ticket and that was going 46 in a 35. The other 4 were warnings.

Each and every time, I deserved it. Profiling or not, I was in in the wrong. About 2 week ago I was exiting into Park City and the plain Explorer had been behind me for about 20 miles. He hit it right on the money "You had every opportunity for the last 15 minutes to slow down." License, registration, and have a nice day.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

I have gotten pulled over numerous times by townie cops because "You looked like you were going fast", their words... I always drive 1 mph under the limit in town with the cruise set. One cop challenged me when I told him that, then I told him my digital speedo is dead on accurate. That one let me go with a "verbal" warning. One followed earlier this year, I confronted him about it and had a chat with the police chief too, after that it stopped.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
and had a chat with the police chief too, after that it stopped.
You must live in a small town or be very connected. Either way, that is one way to fix it.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:08 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
You must live in a small town or be very connected. Either way, that is one way to fix it.
I do live in a small town, not by Vermont standards, but small by all other standards. I am very active in "community policing" as we've had a lot of problems with people driving excessive speeds in my neighborhood so I know the police chief pretty well. The cops that were giving me a problem are "townies" with a God complex and are well known ******. The current police chief inherited the problem, he's actually a good guy.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Boulderbobo, welcome to the group, and sorry about your ticket. Reading this tread, I really think the red 911's are easier to focus on in a pack of other speeding cars. Remember that the main purpose of pulling you over is the "Display of Enforcement" to the hundreds of other who are also guilty but got lucky... this time. You might have to drop your speed down to 75mph while driving the 911 on that HWY36 to the point where you are sort of sagging in the right lane, with a few cars gliding past you on the left.

If that's not your style, you can do like my friend Richard does with his BMW M5. He drives at a comfortable rate of speed everywhere he goes, cops be damned. Usually that comfortable rate of speed is about 30mph over. It turns out, here in Seattle area, he gets about 1 speeding ticket every 2 months. He uses a very good, but expensive, attorney, who has gotten him off every single one. He has the attorney's number on speed dial. Thats his life, and he enjoys it.

Before I got my 993, I had always wondered silently why "that guy in the 911 has such a cool car, but why is the silly guy driving it slowly?!" Now I know.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

A lot of this is knowing when to drive fast and when to be cautious. In my 10 years of 993 ownership and 3 previous years with an 89 Carrera in the garage, I've gotten nailed once. And I normally drive as fast as conditions permit. Ironically the one ticket in my PCar was in the town where we live by a cop who "paced me" from 1/2 back on a country road. Total BS. He knew it was iffy, and gave me a ticket for disregarding a traffic device, which in Pa is a writedown from a regular speeding ticket...aka a revenue ticket. The funny part is that he comes back to the car, says there's been a serious accident, and that he'll mail me a summons. A month later I get a court notice from the local magistrate.

When the road is clear,I use my 993 to it's potential. Otherwise why have a 993? I can drive the speed limit in a Honda Civic. But...When you're in traffic or you can't clearly confirm the car behind you isn't an unmarked police car, drive smart.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me get this straight. You saw a cop car, drove past him at 40mph in a 30 zone and you're pissed he pulled you over?

And you didn't even get a ticket!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leosayer
So let me get this straight. You saw a cop car, drove past him at 40mph in a 30 zone and you're pissed he pulled you over?

And you didn't even get a ticket!

Hey Hey !! We never point out the obvious here! Knock that off.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Once he stops you, the cop's profile to passing cars becomes "I watch out for all the little guys doing 5 under in the fast lane by puling over rich Porsche drivers."
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I was followed through three towns, way out of the patrol cars jurisdiction, in my gold 944 Turbo. They just knew I was going to cut loose and wanted to catch me when I did.

Of course they ignored a mustang and beretta doing 50 in a 30 while tailing me. This was driving home to Hoffman Estates from visiting friends over in Skokie.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the nice things about living in GA/SE United States is that you can get day labor rather easy on the side of the road in various locations, etc. I'm working on a back yard project and wanted to track down a guy I used a few weeks ago because he worked his *** off and was a good kid. So on Friday I drove into a very run down trailer park looking where this kid lived (I dropped him off the last time) hoping to find him to work on my yard again. Well I knocked on one door and had no luck, by that time there was a cop pulling into the front of the trailer park and I knew this looked bad. I hoped in my car (Bimmer) and headed off. I made it 100' outside of the trailer park when I got pulled over.
Officer: "I pulled you over because you have a tinted license plate cover and those are illegal.
Me: OK?
Officer: But what the hell were you doing in there? Buying Drugs?

So I told him the story, etc. etc. after having to wait outside my car for 10 minutes and explain to him the story as he tried to "read" my body language to see if I was really buying drugs, he went back to his car. He came back and said he believed my story. I told him go ahead and search my car but you'll be wasting your time.

Total profile job on his part. There are cars in and out of that place that have A LOT more wrong with them than a tinted license plate cover.

Quick Reply: OT: Vehicle Profiling