Sponsored by:

OT: Vehicle Profiling

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The term "Arrest Me Red" isn't just made up. I can get away with significantly higher speeds in my silver VW Vanagon because they just don't stand out (I call it my Stealth-mobile). But get in the Porsche,--look out. Within 3 months of bringing the car back to the States I was pulled over 4 times. None of the pull overs were ticket events, but it goes to show that these cars stand out. And yes, they do look fast even when parked!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gosh...profiling??? Really????

It is a good thing that none of us would ever do that when looking at a person, car, house, neighborhood, etc!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I can get away with significantly higher speeds in my silver VW Vanagon because they just don't stand out (I call it my Stealth-mobile). But get in the Porsche,--look out.
You have a Vanagon? One of my most favorite cars, and the first rear boxer engined car I ever drove. What year is it? BTW, my 911 is arrest me red.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:08 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Profiling? In 25 + years of Porsche ownership I have only been pulled over one time and that was because my brake lights were out on the 911S. I guess my cars just arent as fast looking as a 993. There are a lot of cars now that look and are a lot faster then a 10-13 year old 911 Porsche. Paranoia makes you look guilty perhaps
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm surprised that you were targeted. I have always driven Silver, Grey or White cars because they are so inconspicuos. My DD is a Silver Chrysler 300C SRT8, I joke around saying that the car blends into asphalt!! I "play around" much more in that car than my Silver TT yet nobody even looks twice. Driving the TT I get many inquisitive stares from the local authorities but all in all I try to obey the traffic laws at all times and look like I'm being a good boy, even when I'm not...
Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I once had a Denver patrolman stop me while driving the 993 with a baseball cap turned backwards.
Here's the deal: Early one Saturday morning after washing the car wearing sneakers, running shorts, T-shirt and a baseball cap on backwards I fired up the 993 for a spin. My path crossed the patrol cruiser at an intersection where he turned a 180 and swiftly pulled me over.

With a firearm at the ready he approached the car demanding an answer to his question "do you own this car?” (engine off with hands in plain sight on the steering wheel at 12 o'clock) I got a kick out of the presence of mind the cop had ~ an example of profiling no doubt IMHO! Well,,, good profiling in this case.

An example of how the issue cuts both ways ~

Signed, a middle aged white dude.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 09-11-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend who was pulled over in his 993, and while he was speeding he was going with the flow so everyone around him was speeding also. My friend asked the cop why he pulled just him over out of everyone. The cop asked my friend if he hunts birds. He does, and said yes. The cop asked him "when a group is coming in do you shoot at all of them or just pick one? Sorry, but I happened to pick you". I think cops are drawn to the most conspicuous car in any given group of targets.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get pulled over, most likely you were doing something wrong.

If I were a cop and a group of cars were speeding, 1 being a Porsche, I would pull over the Porsche. Why? Because I would rather check out a Porsche than a mini van.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993

If I were a cop and a group of cars were speeding, 1 being a Porsche, I would pull over the Porsche. Why? Because I would rather check out a Porsche than a mini van.
I dunno, there could be a hot soccer Mom (or as of yesterday's V.P. choice) "hockey Mom" as the case may be ~ F-k the sports car, show me the hot mom drive'in the mini van. LOL. Can't ya hear it ~ "Spread'em, ma'm, hands behind your back, I'm go'in to cuff ya"~ This thread is killing me - LOL! - straight for the gutter.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 08-30-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why, sometime I would deliberately over dress so that cops don't think I stole this car...
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I'm going to speed, I find that a blond wig and a nice dress, along with a smile, keep me out of trouble.......
Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I dunno, there could be a hot soccer Mom (or as of yesterday's V.P. choice) "hockey Mom" as the case may be ~ F-k the sports car, show me the hot mom drive'in the mini van. LOL. Can't ya hear it ~ "Spread'em, ma'm, hands behind your back, I'm go'in to cuff ya"~ This thread is killing me - LOL! - straight for the gutter.
If it was a Porsche and Vette, I would pull over the Vette. Chances are its a woman! Ok, thats my sexist comment for the year.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bull
If I'm going to speed, I find that a blond wig and a nice dress, along with a smile, keep me out of trouble.......
Hilarious ! Don't forget to factor in the cost of nylons ~
Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
AND your car is RED! That automatically adds another 5-10 mph to the "perceived" speed.

this is TOTALLY true ... a RED one excites those guys !!!!!!!!!!!

when i drive my black nissan frontier pickup i do 10 and even 20 over the top and nobody pay the most minimal attention ... dont EVEN think to do that with the red porsche ..... !!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am sooooooo pissed!

This morning (6:40 am) I got a speeding ticket driving to work. 85 in a 65. I was in a group of 5 cars. My position was #2 in the lineup. 3 of us in the left lane 2 in the right. The cruise was set on 80 mph. It is true that I was speeding.GUILTY..but why was I selected for the stop?

This is only the 3rd time I have driven the p-car car to work (only had the car for a few weeks). I have driven Highway 36 between Boulder and Denver 5 days per week for the last 10+ years (yea thats right...over 2500+/- round trips). I get on the same time every morning and about the same time every night. I'm a routine guy. Going in I set the cruise at 80 till I get to Denver. I have never been pulled over before for anything. My usual commuting vehicle is a 2001 Audi S4 (talk about stealth) or a r1200gs. Before that It was a 1996 VW Jetta.

I asked the cop how/why did he pick me out of a group of 5 cars. He got pissed. I pushed it and asked if I got profiled? He got more pissed. His response was I was doing 80 in a 65. I said no ****. So was everyone else. How do these folks look themselves in the mirror?

I told him about my commuting history and then asked him why ticket the good people ( I like to think about myself as a good guy) out there that contribute to society/economy...why not go after the bad guys? He just got more pissed.

Last year (winter snowstorm) I got rear ended by an illegal alien in Denver. No license, no insurance, no citizenship. No ticket..nothing! The cop let her drive away....ugh...No money so they let them go....

Sorry for the rant....But is this the way it is going to be driving the p-car?

WTF!

Quick Reply: OT: Vehicle Profiling