Sponsored by:

Experiences with MAShaw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
Is the quality of the material same as used by the factory? (polyurethane or fiberglass or something else)
Both are fiberglass.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cmoss
If you are expecting to get a "factory" quality piece--forget it. As people have pointed out, these are not OEM products. Expect to have to massage the pieces for both fit and finish.

BTW Just call the guy. If I was in his shoes, I prolly wouldn't waste time w/ email.
I expect any component sold for a purpose to fit that purpose, i.e. if it's sold to fit my car, then it should fit without issue. As for finish, I can do this one of 2 ways, I can get him to do the prep and priming work (in which case I expect the finish to be good and need no more work), or I can get my local Porsche dealer to do the prep and the paint.

When someone states that something is "high quality", then I expect it to be so. Anything less is accepting and promoting mediocrity.

As for email. If you post an email address and a web portal for communication (as he does), then you should be responsive and not let the efforts of customers fall into a black hole. I generally find that businesses that respect and value customers succeed better than those that do not.

When a company does not respond to my efforts to give them money for a product, then what does that say about how they will behave towards me after I've given them my money? It generally says that if they don't care to communicate with you before they have your money, then they sure as hell will not care once they have it.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Wow. That's a big soapbox. If you don't want to do biz w/ Michael because he doesn't do email very well, perhaps you shouldn't. I will purchase from him again, though.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I expect any component sold for a purpose to fit that purpose, i.e. if it's sold to fit my car, then it should fit without issue. As for finish, I can do this one of 2 ways, I can get him to do the prep and priming work (in which case I expect the finish to be good and need no more work), or I can get my local Porsche dealer to do the prep and the paint.

When someone states that something is "high quality", then I expect it to be so. Anything less is accepting and promoting mediocrity.

As for email. If you post an email address and a web portal for communication (as he does), then you should be responsive and not let the efforts of customers fall into a black hole. I generally find that businesses that respect and value customers succeed better than those that do not.

When a company does not respond to my efforts to give them money for a product, then what does that say about how they will behave towards me after I've given them my money? It generally says that if they don't care to communicate with you before they have your money, then they sure as hell will not care once they have it.
Sounds like you should buy OEM .
Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
^Wow. That's a big soapbox. If you don't want to do biz w/ Michael because he doesn't do email very well, perhaps you shouldn't. I will purchase from him again, though.

Not really a soap box, but more a case of understanding expectations and expecting people to deliver on them.

I do research to know what I'm getting and set my expectations accordingly. He advertises as "high quality" and I'm trying to determine if that's true. Everything I'm hearing is that he makes a good product.

My comments about email and business philosophy are right on the mark. The truest test of character and integrity is not how someone acts when things are going well, but when they are not. I want to be sure that if the part is damaged, or flawed that he will take it back without issue. Is that too much to expect?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
The truest test of character and integrity is not how someone acts when things are going well, but when they are not. I want to be sure that if the part is damaged, or flawed that he will take it back without issue. Is that too much to expect?
I agree with this. But I would pick up the phone and skip the email.

And my radar says Michael would be a stand-up guy if problems arise.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 AM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Sounds like you should buy OEM .
Agreed. I know nothing of Micheal's products, or him for that matter. But I can already tell that you’re not going to be happy.

Your already complaining? You haven't even received the piece yet!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
I agree with this. But I would pick up the phone and skip the email.

And my radar says Michael would be a stand-up guy if problems arise.
Yeah, that's the sense that I'm getting. All should be well. I'll give him a call next week.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bill930p
Agreed. I know nothing of Micheal's products, or him for that matter. But I can already tell that you’re not going to be happy.

Your already complaining? You haven't even received the piece yet!
You know nothing about me or what makes me happy.

Doing research to set expectations is the smart thing to do, rather than blindly going into a transaction and being disappointed.

I have found through experience that if you do your research and have the correct expectations, then your chances of a good transaction are far greater than blindly going into a bad transaction without all the information.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Sounds like most have been happy with their experiences with Mike. I'll give him a call when I get a chance and see if I can get answers to my questions.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wanted to add to this thread, got my GT3 rear wing from Mike, Quality is excellent, I'm very pleased with the part and Mike is a great guy to deal with.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Mike likes the phone, not the email. I've ordered from him in the past and everything was delivered as promised. Fit and finish was also excellent for a fiberglass product.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep. I organised a GB for his brake ducts a few years ago when I still lived in England. Mike was great but it was all done by phone.

The pieces were all a little rough and needed prep - sanding and filling, but are great. Reset your expectations away from OEM and you'll be fine.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just wanted to add my good experience with MA Shaw. I bought my 993 RS wing/tail from him because the factory piece, while probably a nicer piece, is MUCH more expensive. Mike's wing is fiberglass with some sort of special proprietary resin. Looks and fits very good but doesn't have the internal wall that the factory wing has.
Yes I believe the only way to communicate with him is on the phone, But you can then have a conversation with a real live person, and ask questions that may come up during that conversation.
Also Mike doesn't seem like the sort who over rates or BSes about his product. Seems like an old fashioned stand-up guy.
He actually gave me a discount (maybe because of my Rennlist membership ? YMMV) and shipped the wing quickly after my conversation with him.
Overall I had a very good experience and would buy from him again.
Just my 2cents,
Glenn
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My multiple purchases from Mike have been some of the best purchase experiences I have ever had. Mike is passionate about his products and cars in general, and his post purchase support was outstanding. Of course I understand the limitations of after market reproductions and the fitment issues that are inevitable. I also don't expect to get $100.00 product for $10.00. Given your expectations I am sure Mike would and should advise you to take your money elsewhwere

Quick Reply: Experiences with MAShaw?