Sponsored by:

New Member & Owner....... '97 Targa with Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
DryFly
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member & Owner....... '97 Targa with Tire Questions

I am considering TOYO T1-R Proxies. They seem reasonably priced and I cannot seem to find any negative comments. I also am reading about Michelins and Continentals. It is all a bit confusing, it seems to depend on who you talk to..... lots of varying opinions.

By the way, I just bought my first Porsche, a '97 Targa w/ 34k miles, and I am fired up!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help you on the tire question, but welcome and congrats on the purchase. Would love more pics!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!

It's nice to see another Targa. As for tires, I have OEM Continentals for the street and I am just about to order some A048's for the track. Through track driving and autocross I have found the Contininentals "edge" and they are quite adequate for street driving. As for the track, I'm getting some R compounds.

Bob
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Congrats, and great pick for a car! I use P0 Rossos
Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car. If that's your house, I like your whooole deal!

Do a search on this board for Sumitomo (HRTZ III). They seem to be the bang for the buck front runner.

First, be sure you want to keep those wheels. Lotta guys go to 18"
Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
zoaatc11
Instructor

Welcome....I'm using Bridgestone RE750's (good price from tirerack)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty worn Toyo rears were I am sure what made me lose it in the rain. I have a set of MY02 5 spokes and P0 Rossos waiting in the wings. When I replace them, it willl likely be Mich PS2.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DryFly
I am considering TOYO T1-R Proxies. They seem reasonably priced and I cannot seem to find any negative comments. I also am reading about Michelins and Continentals. It is all a bit confusing, it seems to depend on who you talk to..... lots of varying opinions.

By the way, I just bought my first Porsche, a '97 Targa w/ 34k miles, and I am fired up!
I think the general view on Continentals is that there are much better tires for the money and that if they didn't already come with the car/rims, no one would be using them

I have PS2s on a cab and they are fantastic tires....pricey but great handling and sticky. I recently bought Toyo T1Rs for a set of MY02s and IMHO they are (along with Sumitomos - no personal experience) the best bang for buck out there. Not as sticky as the PS2 but only 50-70% of the cost. I have used them on sunny days as well as during a typhoon (one of the few times the streets are empty in Hong Kong) and they handle very well...I would buy them again w/o hesitation. If money is no object get the PS2s but if you're' on a budget, esp since you need to buy two pairs of rears for every pair of fronts, get the Toyo's as you will save $1000 for a full set (4 rears + 2 front).
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DryFly

Welcome to the club. There are a ton of threads (here on RL) on this subject and as others have said it's pretty subjective. I'm running Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs and like them as much, if not better than any other tires I've used. Here are some links about the Sumi's and other tire choices.

Review of the Sumitomo HTR Z III for Porsche DE Events

Choosing the Right Tire for your Porsche

Understanding Porsche N spec Approval when Choosing Tires
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Redblurr
Racer

Nice Targa!!! Nice lawn!!! Nice Mansion? Lucky dude!!! Congrats and welcome. Rennlist is here to guide you. I personally dont know a whole bunch about tires, but make sure there fairly round. I do know that we need to see more pics of that awsome car. The search tool is "God" here. Sooooo much info. Tires, oil, a/c, brakes, suspension, waxes, wheels, accessories, antifreeze..... whoops!! Well you get the idea. Anyway... I run Goodyear F1s'..Seem to be good. Good rated tire too. I live in suuny Washington State, so I need a good wet road tire. GL with your tire search and have fun times wearing them out.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I wouldn't even use a Toyo tire as a spare.
Start with the N spec homologated tire list from Porsche and chose whichever brand/tire you feel comfortable with (price/performance).

And best of luck with the new car....remember, it is tradition to post pics first time
Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats on a lovely car..White Targas are the bomb....
My '96 Targa came with the Toyos and they have served me well over the last 13K miles.... My fun is limited to dry roads and highways only..... and I never exceed the speed limit on any road
Old 08-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the HRTZIIs, my next tires will be the HRTZIII

. . . nice color, nice car BTW

Quick Reply: New Member & Owner....... '97 Targa with Tire Questions