Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

After all that Rolex Talk.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Rolex fan as well.... Congrats on your new sub.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
IIRC, it's a few hundred $ a pop at an authorized Rolex service center. That includes a new crystal. The last time I had mine done it needed a few worn out parts replaced, so it was more.
Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Servicing costs, whether Rolex or Porsche, are never going to be inexpensive. And considering there are a lot more Rolexes than Porsches, and a lot more Porsche technicians than Rolex certified watchmaker's it's a bargain. I tell everyone repairing watches to raise their prices; every watchmaker I know has months of backlog of repair. Raise your prices 30-40% and you'll still have a month or more backlog, you'll just be making a better living.
Originally Posted by AiRick
I just sent my GMT II in for service. They will call in about 2 weeks with est . But starts at $550 then $750 and next was $1150. They need to look at it to see how much work is required. My watch was about 10+ years old.
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
keep your opinions to yourself please
+1!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993S
Mike,

You are safe with a JLC !
I own a Master Compressor Geo and it is a stunning watch.
Keeps good time and is well made.
No doubt, JLC is among the best !
I have an original Master Geo, with a black dial and therefore an exhibition back. There's a BIG difference in the way a JLC movement is finsihed and the way a Rolex movement is finished, which is why Mr. Odets has it out for Rolex. And I don't necessarily disagree with him.

Until fairly recently, the Daytona used the Zenith El Primero movement. The Rolex was priced several times more than the El Primero. Was the Rolex better finished? No. Is the Rolex worth much more now? Yes. Rolex has one of the strongest brand names, polices its advertising policy thoroughly to bring the highest margins to its dealers. This in turn keeps resale values strong. Rolex deserves the image it has carfefully cultivated from a history of fine watch making.

However, Rolex is in the business of mass-production. They don't make serious complications, or finish movements, or cases or dials, as finely as some smaller manufacturers, JLC being a fine example. Or IWC. Or, moving up, Patek Phillipe or Lange & Sohn.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
However, Rolex is in the business of mass-production. They don't make serious complications, or finish movements, or cases or dials, as finely as some smaller manufacturers, JLC being a fine example. Or IWC. Or, moving up, Patek Phillipe or Lange & Sohn.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Patek or Lange are on a whole 'nuther level...
Old 08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's Rolex for sport, Patek for dress, everything else is just having fun. Oh, and Rolex completely redid the Zenith movement-altered the beat, changed the balance and escapement, and plenty more.

I guess you know that Patek does the same with their hand wound chrono-buy the ebauche from the Swatchgroup, then redoes it?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just dropped off her Datejust for service (cleaning) at the Rolex Dealer (NYC), cost for service is $555
Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default Rolex talk

Damien:

Are Rolexes more difficult to work on than other brands? The reason I ask is that (I confess) I had my 1974 GMT serviced by a couple of independent watchmakers, with very unhappy results. Rolex Canada ultimately got it properly serviced and running right, and I have extended a mea culpa to my local dealer.

Rinty
Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, I only own mechanical watches.

Here is the issue on Rolex value for me.
At these prices, it is no challenge to produce an attractive and accurate mechanical watch. Omega can match them on conventional watches and Heuer can match Rolex on Chronographs, all for far less than half the price.

At about $250, a Seiko with a 7S26 automatic movement is a way superior technical achievement, in that it sells it for less than 10% of a Rolex, and in my experience is just as accurate in daily use and operates without maintenance for a good 10 years.

I am shocked that you would equate Rolex with Porsche. Rolex pricing is about marketing more than engineering. Porsche have been pretty crap at marketing all along. I don't wear a Rolex any more because it reveals ignorance rather than knowledge.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rinty, not really. The thing is that if your watchmaker's weren't factory authorized to repair them they may not have access to genuine parts-so they use generic, which can be troublesome. And you do need some specialized tools as well.

4X4-Please tell me which Tag can match any Daytona please. After you've worked on a few dozen of each let me know. Schocked that I would compare them to Porsche? Ever been to any PCA event? What do a large percentage of owners wear? Which two companies are the most profitable in their fields? Rolex is about marketing? Do you know that they operate three watchmaking schools globally, and don't charge tuition for the two year program? www.lititzwatchtechnicum.com is the US school. The students aren't obligated to work a day for Rolex at the completion of the two year program. They do this to support watchmaking as a whole, and don't advertize the fact at all.

Not about engineering? They use a different steel alloy than virtually everyone else that is more corrosion resistant. They make white gold that doesn't need rhodium plating, but it's more expensive. They make their own rose gold alloy that won't change color over time. They have their own special hairspring material.

And a Rolex is a commodity-like a 1ct D VS2 diamond, you can find yourself anywhere in the world and cash out in a minute. Let me know what the Seiko or Tag will be worth in twenty years, it won't be the same as a Sub.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
...I am shocked that you would equate Rolex with Porsche. Rolex pricing is about marketing more than engineering. Porsche have been pretty crap at marketing all along. I don't wear a Rolex any more because it reveals ignorance rather than knowledge.

Just my opinion.
I don't know much about Rolex but I do know that Porsche nowadays is almost all about making ton of fiarly general cars & boatload of money and it doing it by riding it on it's racing & real sportscar heritage.

BTW Damian,

Thanks for all the info you've provided. It's always interesting and educational to hear from someone who has real experience on something and not just "knowleadge" from reading internet etc.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Bravo to them. One thing that people love about Rolex is that they hardly ever change their models. Why mess with perfection. Although they are succumbing to the "big watch" trend and are introducing bigger versions of their lines. For better or for worse. I happen to love the new look ceramic GMT. Others are rushing out to buy the out going model. Remember when German cars hardly changed for years? Now they are on the same time table as Japanese manufacturers.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default Rolex

Damien:

Thanks as well, for all your information. It's good to be able to get a professional's take on these exclusive watches.

Rinty
Old 08-20-2008, 03:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I think the SubM is a timeless and classic piece. It's a milestone of a watch - rugged, simple, functional. Looks good with anything without being bling. IMO, getting hung up on the relative merits of the movement misses the point - the thing is a design icon. Yes there is careful control of the sales chain, and juggernaut marketing behind it, but the thing had to be good in the first place to sell. Is it overpriced? The market says no .

I will have a SubM some day, but for now I went with something a little different, primarily because it's a novel watch (in terms of case material) from a great little company that basically avoids mass market advertising. And nobody else seems to have one....

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
bart1
Race Car

My first auto was a Sinn back when you couldn't get them here. Had a shop in Germany send it to me. Great little watch.

Quick Reply: After all that Rolex Talk.....