Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

After all that Rolex Talk.....

Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rolex movements are still made by Rolex. Very few other brands make thier own movements and ones that do typically make Rolex look cheap. One very noteable exception: Seiko! Don't snocb them until you learn about the premium lines.

Rolex movements are also extremely durable. Do not discount them because they have some poly pieces in them.

Many TAGs have automatic movements.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
Most of the Rolex watches produced over the last two or so decades (with the exception of the Daytona which previously used a Zenith movement - not sure if they still do after Zenith was bought up a number of years ago) use disposable plastic movements. So what you are buying in a modern Rolex is the look and a reliable disposable movement. You are not buying a hand made movement or even a mass market movement with some hand finishing. I am sorry to rain on the parade. But when I found this out I gave away my submariner circa 1998. It made me feel like I was driving a Ferrari with a Hyundai engine under the hood. I am sure I will get hammered for this post, and am only raising this for those who may think like I do. I do not mean to start a fight. The world of mechanical watches is largely (not completely) one of misrepresentation taking advantage of consumers misunderstanding and lack of knowledge. People think they are getting a fine hand-made mechanical movement, and often paying the price for one, but often are getting a cheap mass market movement. My rude awakening came with my first prized watch, a Frank Muller. Getting back to Rolex, just ponder the fact that they make over 1MM watches a year. Unless they have quite a few Umpa Lumpas on loan from Willie Wonka they could not meet these production numbers with good movements.

Just my humble opinion and sorry if I offend anyone. If you do not like what I say, just disgard my post, just like Rolex service do with their disposable movements. Sorry, I could not resist this poor taste attempt at humor. I was so p..s.d off when I had my rude awekening and saw my hard earned having bought what were to me 2 frauds, the Frank Muller and the Rolex, that I would like to prevent a like-minded soul from making the mistakes I made.
Chris, Are you serious? You gave up your Rolex because you thought it had a plastic movement inside it? This is a joke, right? If not, didn't you feel the need to research this a bit to see if it was true? If your watch had plastic parts inside, obviously it was a fake. Rolexes don't have disposable plastic movements. Lolexes maybe, but not Rolexes. Are you 100% sure you had a Rolex? If you did, you gave up a great watch for the wrong reason.

Maybe you needed to spend a little time on timezone.com or any one of a dozen other Rolex webforums and educated yourself about what you had before you "gave away your Rolex". You would have learned that they have a fantastic, non plastic movement.

This has got to be a joke post, right?

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 08-14-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
bart1
Race Car

Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sydneymark
Trojanman .. if you like Panerai ..only the Pam 249 is post 2002 ...

I am now looking for a Lange Datograph ...as I dont like the new Panerai range ...only early T dial or Pre Vendome (Richemont buy out) are the Panerai I would buy now
Beautiful pieces there, Mark. I assume the 249 is the Submersible?

My 164 is H-series... 2005.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 AM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Getting my 16610 2008 this week=)
Old 08-15-2008, 02:35 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Chris, Are you serious? You gave up your Rolex because you thought it had a plastic movement inside it? This is a joke, right? If not, didn't you feel the need to research this a bit to see if it was true? If your watch had plastic parts inside, obviously it was a fake. Rolexes don't have disposable plastic movements. Lolexes maybe, but not Rolexes. Are you 100% sure you had a Rolex? If you did, you gave up a great watch for the wrong reason.

Maybe you needed to spend a little time on timezone.com or any one of a dozen other Rolex webforums and educated yourself about what you had before you "gave away your Rolex". You would have learned that they have a fantastic, non plastic movement.

This has got to be a joke post, right?
Hi Steve, I wish I had not posted. My conclusions, which I hold mistakenly or correctly, come from a huge debate started by a very unfavourable review by Walt Odets of a Rolex Explorer in 1998 on Timezone. I have to apologize for having a senior moment in relation to the "plastic" but not in relation to the "disposable" and not in relation to the poor quality of the movement. I should state that I never opened my Rolex. It was genuine though. I cannot personaly attest to the conclusion which I base on some who posted on Timezone who I respected.

So, I mean no offense, but I am not joking. This is how I see it. If a person buys a mechanical watch at a price that should include a fine hand-made movement, and it does not, then they are being duped into buying something for the brand and look. If they like the look and do not care about the quality of the movement, that is of course fine - they are buying jewellery and there is nothing wrong with that. They are not buying a fine watch. I think this is the case with most modern Rolexes. The fact that they make their own movements is neither here nor there if they are of poor quality. The fact that they are reliable time pieces is neither here nor there as you do not pay a small fortune for something on the base of accuracy which can easily be out performed by a Casio G Shock costing a pittance.

The post in relation to Seiko is spot on. A Grand Seiko has a fine hand made movement. With that watch you get what you pay for.

Sorry for anything objectionable in my posts and sorry for the fact that I cannot personally attest to my conclusions. But we often have to make conclusions based on what others present. Just my very very humble 1 cent's worth.

All the best,

Last edited by TargaTango; 08-15-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kika
Roles SS Sub is an awesome watch, I have had mine for 17 years, built like a tank. I had it cleaned and serviced last year, not cheap to service, but a great watch.
divide that by 17 years...

not that bad afterall
Old 08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris, the only items in a Rolex that are not metal are there because they perform better than metal would for that function. As a master watchmaker, President of my state watchmaking guild, and Industry Advisory Board Member of the American Watch/Clockmaker's Institute let me tell you-you're totally wrong. Rolex movements may be what we call in the industry 'tractors', but they're extremely well made, incredibly durable, and very high tech. Look up what 'free sprung' means re:watch movements just to start. And, having repaired virtually all of the brands which you may think are more correct-they don't run nearly as well as a Rolex.

Having been to many watchmaking facilities, you should know that almost nothing is hand made. There will be plenty of hand finishing, but if you think people are hand cutting bridges with a coping saw you're wrong-it's all high tech. How do you think Patek is making silicon escape wheels-by hand? Sheesh.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Great choice on the Sub.

You will enjoy it for years to come.

I've had my GMT II for 18 years. I wear it virtually everyday and it looks brand new.

I have a couple other newer Rolexes too, but I can't seem to give up wearing the GMT on a day to day basis. Guess we've been through a lot together. LOL

If they make a black/red GMT with the new ceramic bezel I might go for that as a day to day watch.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys never saw Rolexes and 993's going down the same assembly line?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone mentioned the Omega Seamaster, also a great looking watch with the orange accents. I've become sort of intriqued with the TAG Monaco as well but there seem to be several "versions". I was wondering where Tudor went...
BTW, I've read about ceramic bezels on Rolexes...can those be retrofitted?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by face-ache
my SD will have to wait, i just got this.. Breitlings nod to the orig 50's superocean. superocean heritage 46.. might have to click pics to expand..
a good automatic watch & a 993 go so well together!

I love the subtleness of that B. and great photo taking there buddy!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:03 PM
nycarrera
Instructor

Default For a road racing instrument....

I prefer one of these:

Godspeed
A
Old 08-16-2008, 07:00 AM
nman413
Drifting

Nice Daytona.

I miss my Sub. Sadly it was stolen late last year.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:38 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I bought my GMT in 1968. Cost less than $200 at the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong. It replaced a Submariner that had been, ahh, damaged a few months earlier. I have it serviced every 4-5 years by an authorized Rolex service center (not cheap is an accurate statement) and have had to replace a couple of parts over the last 40 years. It's had a lot of knocks since '68 and is still one of my favorite watches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After all that Rolex Talk.....