Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Anyone know what year this started?
I believe thats an 08 and up feature.

My 07 16610 (thats a sub with date) doesn't have that.

I believe the 08 is given the M designation, and my 07 is a Z or a D. Can't remember.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005

Originally Posted by Kika
Anyone know what year this started?
The ROLEX engraving on the inner ring of the bezel first debuted in early 2005, with the complete redesign of the GMT Master II. It then came to the Submariner line, in very late 2006/early 2007, in the M and Z serial number ranges.

Here is a good reference for the GMT Master II, and the changes introduced in 2005:

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ef_116710.html

-Dave

1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dmm993
The ROLEX engraving on the inner ring of the bezel first debuted in early 2005, with the complete redesign of the GMT Master II. It then came to the Submariner line, in very late 2006/early 2007, in the M and Z serial number ranges.

Here is a good reference for the GMT Master II, and the changes introduced in 2005:

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ef_116710.html

-Dave

1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Thanks,
It is a very elegant, subtle touch.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, now you have two classics!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
Congrats, now you have two classics!
my thoughts exactly. I find the SS Sub and the 993 (polar) go great together!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, I'm coming up on 22 years with a Sea Dweller and just got a cheap Ironman for working on the car and in the yard. My wife's been looking but will probably go with a TAG Heuer, in particular with the recent jump in Rolex prices...should have bought sooner. I had been looking at a Yachtmaster but probably not any more with the new pricing. A good friend of mine who introduced me to Rolexes has a SS Sub (+25 years old) and a Steel & Gold Sub but there's just something about a no nonsense, stainless steel watch that's timeless.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 88911coupe
Congrats, I'm coming up on 22 years with a Sea Dweller and just got a cheap Ironman for working on the car and in the yard. My wife's been looking but will probably go with a TAG Heuer, in particular with the recent jump in Rolex prices...should have bought sooner. I had been looking at a Yachtmaster but probably not any more with the new pricing. A good friend of mine who introduced me to Rolexes has a SS Sub (+25 years old) and a Steel & Gold Sub but there's just something about a no nonsense, stainless steel watch that's timeless.
I got my wife a Tag Link in two tome, gold and stainless with a blue face, and she has been happy with it for several years. I think it is about 10 years old now. At the time I looked into a Lady Yachmaster, but she didn't want to wear a $5K watch every day.

I don't know if Tudor still makes watches, but I think they are a "lower" line of Rolex. My biggest gripe is that the Tag uses a battery, while the Rolexes are self winding.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They still make Tudor watches but they aren't officially sold in the US. A shame.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
Nice!! I want to get a new watch for my suits to keep my Breitling company as well. Not sure if I am a Rolex kind of guy though. I like that most people have no idea what a Breitling is. You get any compliments on it yet?
Rolex Subs are very nice pieces, and congrats to the OP... I really like that watch.

I too was looking for something a little different and fell in love with Panerai... I've owned two already and below are pics of my current. Very versatile watch that can be sporty or dressy. The beauty of Panerai is that they design the lugs so that straps/bracelets can be changed very easily (pics show the OEM black rubber with SS deployant). I have at least ten different leather/gator straps and a stainless bracelet as well. It's actually pretty fun to change out the straps frequently (kind of like mod'ing a 993!)... gives the watch a whole different look.

Anyway, here ya go...
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

never really cared for the bulbous style of the Panerais.

I like the omega seamaster with the orange bezel.

I know they are cheap, but I like the Ball Cleveland Express and the Marathon J-Sar (although its HUGE)
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Most of the Rolex watches produced over the last two or so decades (with the exception of the Daytona which previously used a Zenith movement - not sure if they still do after Zenith was bought up a number of years ago) use disposable plastic movements. So what you are buying in a modern Rolex is the look and a reliable disposable movement. You are not buying a hand made movement or even a mass market movement with some hand finishing. I am sorry to rain on the parade. But when I found this out I gave away my submariner circa 1998. It made me feel like I was driving a Ferrari with a Hyundai engine under the hood. I am sure I will get hammered for this post, and am only raising this for those who may think like I do. I do not mean to start a fight. The world of mechanical watches is largely (not completely) one of misrepresentation taking advantage of consumers misunderstanding and lack of knowledge. People think they are getting a fine hand-made mechanical movement, and often paying the price for one, but often are getting a cheap mass market movement. My rude awakening came with my first prized watch, a Frank Muller. Getting back to Rolex, just ponder the fact that they make over 1MM watches a year. Unless they have quite a few Umpa Lumpas on loan from Willie Wonka they could not meet these production numbers with good movements.

Just my humble opinion and sorry if I offend anyone. If you do not like what I say, just disgard my post, just like Rolex service do with their disposable movements. Sorry, I could not resist this poor taste attempt at humor. I was so p..s.d off when I had my rude awekening and saw my hard earned having bought what were to me 2 frauds, the Frank Muller and the Rolex, that I would like to prevent a like-minded soul from making the mistakes I made.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM
sydneymark
Advanced

Trojanman .. if you like Panerai ..only the Pam 249 is post 2002 ...

I am now looking for a Lange Datograph ...as I dont like the new Panerai range ...only early T dial or Pre Vendome (Richemont buy out) are the Panerai I would buy now
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
face-ache
Instructor

my SD will have to wait, i just got this.. Breitlings nod to the orig 50's superocean. superocean heritage 46.. might have to click pics to expand..
a good automatic watch & a 993 go so well together!
Attached Images     
Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I bought a pre-owned 1993 Datejust and even with its "disposable" movement its still dead on at keeping time without any issues. Only regular servicing so far.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
face-ache
Instructor

I think they only put the plastic disposable movements in the Hong Kong mkt watches
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I bought a pre-owned 1993 Datejust and even with its "disposable" movement its still dead on at keeping time without any issues. Only regular servicing so far.

Quick Reply: After all that Rolex Talk.....