Targa Roof quirk

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Flavien,

Do you mean a wire was partially cut under the main fuse box in the front of the car? I guess that would be the main supply line to the electronic controller that resides behind the rear seats. I might check that out this winter, my car has shown this problem but only a few times. Once though, the roof was fully open, and it was painfull to get it closed. If the current is limited by a cut wire, it can overheat the motors since they will not be able to draw the current they need to run at their proper speed.

Thanks for the comment!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
... If the current is limited by a cut wire, it can overheat the motors since they will not be able to draw the current they need to run at their proper speed..
Actually I would imagine it to be the reverse.

If the wire has a high resistance (due to mechanical damage/reduced number of strands), then it will produce a voltage drop (right up until the moment where it acts like a fuse due to I2T heating), thus allowing for less voltage to be applied to the motors; under such conditions, I can't see the motors overheating.

Unless of course Ohm was wrong and I will delete everything.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In this case, the simplest thing to do is simply put a voltmeter on the motor + lead when the Targa roof is operated.
Measure the voltage and you have your answer.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
In this case, the simplest thing to do is simply put a voltmeter on the motor + lead when the Targa roof is operated.
Measure the voltage and you have your answer.
Except is only happens for instance on my car say twice a year, and the motors and control unit are buried behind the rear seat panel and I usually do not pack a voltmeter in the trunk, so yes the idea is simple but not practical, at least for me.

If you have not experienced the situation, the motors that close the roof are laboring to close the roof and seem to be running about half speed. I can not believe that in that situation they are not warming up, given they are running as least twice as long as usual. I agree, its sounds like the motors are likely getting less voltage than they are specified for, and are running below their design speed.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Flav9xx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi MikeJ,

on my car, the damaged wire was located under the fusebox, on the right hand side of the car (close to the front trunk).

I guess that you must inspect the wire on their whole length, from the fuse box to the targa electrical motors. There may be a bad connection or damaged wire somewhere.
Not an easy problem to solve..

Good luck

Flavien
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Leanit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, Flavien. I'll check it out.

- Matt

Quick Reply: Targa Roof quirk