Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How's your Das Schild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How's your Das Schild?

I'll post this here, since the lion's share of the group buy were 993's, but I think it's the same configuration as my 964. I got mine, went on great, looks great, but... there is definitely extra pressure required to completely close the lid, particularly once you pass the safety catch. This seems to be due to the fact that now the back lip of the Schild is sandwiched between the hood crossmember and the inner rubber seal (the one just aft of the gas tank) when the hood is closed. So it's putting a little extra "squeeze" on the seal, and I suppose some extra tension on the hinges. Makes me cringe a little as I close the hood... I don't think the upper-area carpet is touching anywhere, just the seal. My car's never been hit and my hood looks to be in good adjustment. I've talked to the Schild folks and they say this is basically normal. I'd just like to hear it from some owners to feel better.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barry, I didn't notice any extra effort required to close mine after I popped it on yesterday.
You made me curious so I went and checked it again... totally normal. I can be pretty **** about this stuff so I feel your pain
It looks like the back edge of the Shild touches part of that inner seal on mine but no noticeable pressure is required to close. That seal is pretty soft.

A couple of thoughts:
Have you tried removing it and trying again without it? I know I can sometime freak myself out on something like this and when I go back I find it was "like that before".

I know you said your hood was properly aligned but are the back edges of your hood perfectly level with the fenders? It doesn't take much.
Hope it isn't anything to worry about.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

You've got a point, Mark. All my trunk seals are fairly new, and it would stand to reason that the extra .100 or so thickness of the Schild at the back would translate into a little extra push at the front edge as it compresses the seal.
They say they've never had a problem. And it's true that I can set new records for being ****.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine fits well and closing the hood is normal.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Mine fits well. Great product.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I never thought about this, but maybe my trunk carpet won't get wet when I wash the car anymore!

I have not noticed any difference in closing, but the gas springs (which are only about 2 years old) barely keep the hood up!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:27 PM
tonyarcur
Advanced

Default dashield

Hi everyone:
My shield fits well but the hood will not stay up although prior to installing the shield I had no problem. Before I pay my wrench to install new OEM hood struts can anyone recommend a heavier duty strut to install instead of OEM.
Thanks,Tony
Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

I have fairly new stock struts and it keeps it open just fine with the Dashield installed. I don't know of any stronger ones.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

That I can concur with. I have new OEM struts and no problemo there.

Quick Reply: How's your Das Schild?