OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:03 AM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Steve,

I wasn't raised with a family of high end watch dealers. I just know I bought a watch that was made in 1972 and still looks great and works like a charm, more than 35 years later. It has also appreciated dramatically in the 8 years I've owned it. That implies good quality to most. Good enough for me, anyway. But I wasn't raised with a family in the business.

You gotta know that coming into a room of people who are extolling the virtues of something and then "jesting" that they have no class or taste is not gonna go over so well. To paraphase you, there is of course the thought what one holds close as being funny may not be the same as others may think.

I agree with you that many Rolexes are blingy and there many many fine watch makers, some mentioned in this thread already like Panerai and IWC etc.

Since you have a family in the business, perhaps you can add to the discourse and enlighten us with your knowledge of watches. I'd much rather hear about your opinions about watches than how classless and tasteless I am. That's my ex-wife's job.

No offense meant, brother. Post all the knowledge you want.

Philip
Philip,

As you pointed out my comments were unjust and without proper thought and respect for others and that was ignorant, arrogant, and uncouth. Moreover it was inappropriate.

Your Red Letter is indeed a valued time piece of it's generation and has a significant worth in the market and probably will for many years. It's a solid work of art and is as reliable as the sun and is well respected throughout the world of watch collectors and dealers alike. I'm glad you love it so much... I would be happy to have it in my collection too.

Rather than come across as being an elitist, which really isn't me (I pride myself as not being pretentious) I would rather just drop out with an embarrassing apology to all.

Respect and sorrow.

Steve H.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 AM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Hello All...

I have an opportunity to purchase a new SS Rolex Daytona for $9200... I know that at one time, these watches were near impossible to get. Are they as difficult to come by today? I have searched, and some posts suggest that Rolex is increasing production of these watches... If so, the opportunity may not be as attractive. Recommendations? Comments?
Michael,

I am a rabid, fanatical, devoted Rolex follower. If you are familiar with the company's 'back story', then you know of the many inventions that the company has patented, the interesting history during WWII, the technical accomplishments, the extremes to which the watches have been put to use, and the constant, unwavering, classic style and design that continues to captivate fans decade after decade.

I have been collecting mechanical watches since 1999, and since 2003, I have managed to put together a small collection of 5 Rolexes, including a SeaDweller, a 50th anniversary Sub, an Explorer II, a GMT II, and a Yachtmaster. All my Rolexes have all been purchased from authorized dealers in the Mid-South and Southeast. I can truthfully tell you that I have *never* seen a SS Daytona on display in all this time. Only the two-tones, the white gold models, and the newer ones with the arabic numerals.

From my informal observations at these and other dealers from the years 2003 through 2008, IMO, nothing much has substantially changed with regard to the availability of the SS Daytonas. You still have to establish, forge, and build a relationship with a particular dealer, and then purchase a series of watches from them to be up for consideration on their informal, unstated, undocumented waiting lists for a Daytona.

Yes, the MSRP in the US has gone up in recent years from $6900 to $9200 making the watches on the secondary markets more attractive. And yes, since last fall, the economy has been tough. This may have given rise to a few more Daytona waiters getting phone calls from anxious dealers whose sales have stalled. But I don't believe for a moment that the numbers are expanding and that the general availability is opening up.

IMO, if you truly admire the Daytona for its design, its beauty, its racing history, and its legacy, then you should get one, and stop worrying about whether a *few* additional folks here and there are able to similarly acquire one. Honestly, at $9200, do you really think you're going to see them around the wrists of that many more people?

FYI, *except* for the vintage Red Subs, the Double Red SeaDwellers, the orange hand Explorer II's, and a few other vintage Submariner variants, most 'modern' era Rolexes should never be viewed as investments.

Regards,

Rick
Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by ste993
Guys, PLEASE.. Rolex? I thought we were people with class and taste? Are we driving Corvettes here now?
Originally Posted by ste993
Rolex throughout the watch world has had somewhat of a bling factor to it for many years and is deemed as being over priced for it's value against other more reputable watch builders.
Originally Posted by texas911
Rolex = Mercedes
I'm thinking:

Rolex = Ferrari
Omega = Porsche

Vintage Sub or GMT = 308 GTS QV / 328 GTS
Vintage Speedy = 964 / 993

My dad wore vintage Omega. He passed on the disease but I've always secretly lusted after a GMT.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

To me Rolex , if you have to compare it to a car, should be MB or Porsche.
Good quality , high productions, have a lot of inventions behind their belt.

Comparing Rolex to a car that spent most of his live in a garage and is really not so well built is not really flattering for Rolex.

The Daytona (at least in Europe) is easier to get since a year or so.
Before you had to pay a big premium to get one at a grey market dealer.
Or wait 5 years or so.
Now for 200 Euro more than list you have one today. And if you order at a Rolex dealer it won't take 5 years anymore.
A good friend of mine was just offered one at list from a dealer. He wanted to flip it and called a grey market dealer in Germany. The guy told him "sorry , do not want it as I have 5 sitting in my stock".
This would have never happened a year or more ago.

I think this is very good. Now the real enthusiasts will be able to pick one up at list and the speculators will be gradually out of the picture.
I have owned 2 Daytona's but I missed the date too much so sold them.
I love Rolex though and currently have 4 SS sport models.

Oh, and people (mostly in the trade) who talk Rolex down are simply jealous.
Most want to be a Rolex dealer but can't. So they trash the brand. Happens a lot.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Guys!

This thread has been both educational and entertaining! I've always admired fine timepieces, though I haven't studied them nearly as completely as some of you! I currently have an Omega Speedmaster Chronometer (my latest purchase), an old Breitling, and a couple of Tags... Nothing near some of your collections, but I do enjoy them. A Rolex is definitely in the cards sometime in the future.

For purely financial reasons, I've decided to pass on the watch for now... I'll probably regret that later, but I have better things to do with $10k at the moment.

The watch in question was ordered by a customer of a dealer here in SC, but has failed to follow-thru on the purchase. This past Saturday I happened to ask the dealer about a stainless Daytona (I always ask), and I was told something to the effect of, "Today may be your lucky day"... She went to the safe and pulled out a brand new (and currently available) black faced Daytona. It's a beautiful watch... and someday I'll own one (or a Yachtmaster). Just not today.

So, thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge/opinions... I love this place!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've worn my SS Seadweller every day since around October '86 when I purchased it new...until about 2 weeks ago when I got a $50 Timex Ironman for when I'm wrenching on the Pcar or working in the yard. The Seadweller still looks very good and I'd like to keep it that way. It's gone in the shop every 3-4 years for a tune up and only stopped once which was due to some relatively inexpensive part being out of adjustment. This watch has, for all practical purposes, been running non stop for 22 years...and keeps excellent time! I would really like add a Yachtmaster or SS Daytona but there's no way I'll get rid of the Seadweller...ever.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
She went to the safe and pulled out a brand new (and currently available) black faced Daytona.
The white face is nicer looking because it really bring out the dials better than the darker colored IMHO.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I much prefer the black face but think most people prefer white.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I agree it depends on people's preference and watch. My cartier is currently black faced with dials in white so it breaks the color up a little bit.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

The black face looks nice also. I take my previous comments back. We all need both in the collection.
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
The black face looks nice also. I take my previous comments back. We all need both in the collection.
I like the black. One day....
Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rolexes

In 1974, my wife gave me a GMT Master with the red / blue bezel for my birthday. I've worn it almost every day since, and it's still one of favourite possessions.

Rinty
Old 07-22-2008, 06:49 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the black one. That is my dream watch

Right now I have a Breitling SuperOcean Chronograph which I love, but it is slightly heavy and a tad blingy, but is still my daily driver!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Sean993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 1998 SS Daytona back in 98 for $6500.00 they were near impossible to find then, supposedly they were only making 2000 a year and there was a waiting list, people then were paying $10000 for them. The Chinese wanted them because the serial #'s were good luck in their culture, and the Italians were crazy about them ever since 1969 when there were billboards up across Italy promoting the film Grand prix.
I've heard they raised the retail from $5200 to $9200 in 2000 and also changed the movement from the zenith to something in house, I guess of there own making.
From what I've seen on ebay model 16520 from the 90's with the old zenith movement is now going for $15,000 to $20,000.
They are very rugged watches and early on Rolex promoted them wisely in high end venues; sailing, autoracing, polo, tennis and in the movies.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
I suspect that the introduction of the ceramic bezel GMT (and the HUGE demand for it) has certainly slowed down the demand for the Daytona.
I seriously doubt that

Quick Reply: OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona