Sponsored by:

OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Speedy is incredibly durable - www.speedmaster-mission.net

Moreso than some Rolexes at some point, at least!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Bart, you have good taste. My daily is a Speedmaster 125. Vintage Omegas & aircooled Porsches.
+1
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Omega speedmaster here!!! I love it!!! I had a GMT and I like this 100 times more. Not to mention it tells time better!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:05 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the Rolex's including the SS Daytona, but wanted something different from most. I ended up with a Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Chronograph and I love it. Plus, it's hand made by Germans!! http://www.glashuette-original.com/
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2008, 07:49 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

I have a SS Daytona (white face), love it. That's a great price, go for it!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
The Speedy is incredibly durable - www.speedmaster-mission.net

Moreso than some Rolexes at some point, at least!
I think the Sppedy's movement is durable, VERY accurate and obviously better suited to zero gravity than a self winding rolex (which needs gravity to wind), but the bracelet, oyster and the crystal of the rolex are far more durable.

I have worn my 17 year old GMT almost everyday since I got it and it looks brand new. The Omega, which I wear only every so often, pics up little dings and scratches pretty easily.

But, I do love the way the Speedy looks and feels, the history, the movement...As I think about it, the analogy to an air-cooled Porsche is accurate in a lot of ways.

I bought it for myself as a gift after a professional achievement that seemed (at the time) about as difficult as going to the moon...hence the selection of the Speedmaster...LOL
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
sealbeach1
Advanced

Have you tried the Watch Collector in NY. I bought an Submariner from him at very good price. He advertises on Six Speed.

David
Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael S.
Sounds to me like a great deal. I see SS pre-owned Daytona's for 11-12K from quality watch dealers. Just make sure this is brand new! It comes with all the proper paperwork with numbers matching the case and bracelet, holograms, books and correct box. If you do not know what all of this should look like, visit a local dealer to see what you should get.

I bought a SS sub back in the early 90's when they were the hot watch, so I understand what you're going thru, but I would buy it at that price. Rolex has a price increase just about every year, so it's a great investment.

R2R - You have a great eye. Glashutte is one of my new favorite watches, absolutely fantastic detail and quality.

Good luck!!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to be sacrilegious, but I'd love a titanium Daytona. I've come very close, and I love the style, but every time I put one on I feel like I'm listing to the left. I'm no small guy, but that's one clunky watch!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 PM
ste993
Pro

Guys, PLEASE.. Rolex? I thought we were people with class and taste? Are we driving Corvettes here now?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ste993
Guys, PLEASE.. Rolex? I thought we were people with class and taste? Are we driving Corvettes here now?
I'd imagine most, if not all, of the previous posters on this thread would disagree with your statement. You may not be educated enough on the subject to know that Rolex was around waaaay before Corvettes ever came into existence. Although perhaps you're just confused, as many Rolex watches cost around as much as a Corvette.

If there is a company named Ignorant Troll that makes watches, let me know. I'd love to buy you one!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 AM
ste993
Pro

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'd imagine most, if not all, of the previous posters on this thread would disagree with your statement. You may not be educated enough on the subject to know that Rolex was around waaaay before Corvettes ever came into existence. Although perhaps you're just confused, as many Rolex watches cost around as much as a Corvette.

If there is a company named Ignorant Troll that makes watches, let me know. I'd love to buy you one!
Hi goofballdeluxe,

Well, being brought up in Europe with a family of high end watch dealers I can certainly say that I think I may have at least a reasonable education in the subject. However, there is of course the thought what one holds close as being of high quality may not be the same as others may think.

My post was more in jest rather than a flame or that of being a troll. Rolex throughout the watch world has had somewhat of a bling factor to it for many years and is deemed as being over priced for it's value against other more reputable watch builders.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and will not post my knowledge on this thread again.

Sincerely,

Steve H.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rolex = Mercedes

But there are other watches that are more like Rolls=Royces and Aston Martins. Uber expensive, rare, but probably not as reliable as a Mercedes.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Jetpilot
Racer

I own a SS Rolex Daytona and love it - 1 negative is that it does not have a date.

Another low production Rolex that i just picked up about 3 months ago is the Rolex Milguass - Saaaaawwwweeeeeeeeettttt.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ste993
Hi goofballdeluxe,

Well, being brought up in Europe with a family of high end watch dealers I can certainly say that I think I may have at least a reasonable education in the subject. However, there is of course the thought what one holds close as being of high quality may not be the same as others may think.

My post was more in jest rather than a flame or that of being a troll. Rolex throughout the watch world has had somewhat of a bling factor to it for many years and is deemed as being over priced for it's value against other more reputable watch builders.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and will not post my knowledge on this thread again.

Sincerely,

Steve H.

Steve,

I wasn't raised with a family of high end watch dealers. I just know I bought a watch that was made in 1972 and still looks great and works like a charm, more than 35 years later. It has also appreciated dramatically in the 8 years I've owned it. That implies good quality to most. Good enough for me, anyway. But I wasn't raised with a family in the business.

You gotta know that coming into a room of people who are extolling the virtues of something and then "jesting" that they have no class or taste is not gonna go over so well. To paraphase you, there is of course the thought what one holds close as being funny may not be the same as others may think.

I agree with you that many Rolexes are blingy and there many many fine watch makers, some mentioned in this thread already like Panerai and IWC etc.

Since you have a family in the business, perhaps you can add to the discourse and enlighten us with your knowledge of watches. I'd much rather hear about your opinions about watches than how classless and tasteless I am. That's my ex-wife's job.

No offense meant, brother. Post all the knowledge you want.

Philip

Quick Reply: OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona