993 Forum 1995-1998

N. GA run - front end seems twitchy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default N. GA run - front end seems twitchy

I finally took the p-car up to the N Ga Mtns (I've only oned it 6 mos). We have a cabin up there, but requires 1 mile of travel on a gravel road. Since my car is lowered, I was hesitant. It made it fine, no problem, but I felt every rock going up the gravel road!

What a ride though, nothing like opening it up on the mountain roads. Finally able to give the car a little challenge!

The one thing I noticed, particularly above 65 mph (I don't spend much time on the highway), is that the front-end and steering seemed a little twitchy and not as stable as I would expect from a 911. Reminded me a little of my '64 Corvette, but not near as bad. It just wasn't giving me a high level of confidence on the handling at higher speeds (I had to pay attention). Its my first 911, but my expectation that it should be rock solid at high speeds.

Any suggestions, or point me to some posts? Its kind of a vague topic so not easy to search. I'm going to take it to my mechanic shortly, but would like to narrow down the issue before I do.

Many thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 244 Posts

Tires?
Pressure?
Alignment?
What suspension?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Running Toyo Proxes (new). Front 225, 40, 18". Rear 285, 30, 18". Using the recommended pressure for the 18" tires (I think its around 40'ish psi). Not sure on the suspension specs. I wish I knew. Haven't studied it enough. I know it has a performance suspension and it has been lowered (probably around 2", and the 18" BBS wheels were added.

The car is not really pulling any direction, but just kind of sloppy. First thing I think I need to do is get a new alignment. No doubt about that.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:11 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

If your alignment is off they can be VERY Darty <- (is that a word?). Remember the front of these cars are light so they take a little getting use to. That said, they should never feel uncomfortable. Chances are an alignment is the issue, you may also want to see if you have an adjustable (dampening) suspension such as PSS9's and play with those settings.

N. GA roads are fun.. Enjoy
Old 07-19-2008, 12:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 244 Posts

40 lbs is a touch high for front tires IMO, especially after they get some heat into 'em. Try 35-38.

+1 on checking re. adjustable compression/rebound and have alignment done.

Quick Reply: N. GA run - front end seems twitchy