Sponsored by:

Kenwood or Alpine ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kenwood or Alpine ???

I'm joining the crew on here replacing the stereo. Thanks for all the great posts on speakers and amps!

I currently have an older Alpine, but want a new model and want to be able to get to my MP3 player (san disk) and maybe an iPod.

I'm looking at the Alpine CDA-9886, seems like it would be an easy hookup since I'm replacing an existing Alpine. But a guy at Crutchfield suggested a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X792, which seems to have some great features. I saw that this was a similar unit that Rod at Car Audio Innovations had recommended to Bart1. Bart1 went with the Alpine.

Anyone have an opinion either way?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use the iTrip for my iPod. It keeps everything looking stock and sounds good.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an Alpine iDA-X001 and am extremely happy with it. I never listen to the radio anymore, just the iPod. I also have the bluetooth module for my phone.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past, IMHO, Kenwood (and most others) always seemed second tier to Alpine. I have an older alpine and have no complaints.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Default get the Kenwood

I work for Kenwood. We need the revenue.

John
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Go Alpine. They look sharp without being flashy. I have one of the newer models and then ran the cord for the iPod to the glove compartment. My iPod just sits in there. I never see it. I control the iPod from the face of the Alpine.
Never liked Kenwood products. They look and sound cheap to me.

jaholmes: That's great you can get your iTrip to work well. I have had one and could hardly get reception in LA and Portland in various cars.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As noted, I preferrred the Alpine. Kenwood would not work with an older iPod, Alpine does. The **** on the right side of the KW (faaar away from the driver) is finicky and you would end up going into scroll mode instead of just going to the next track if not very careful. KW display is kinda nice, but more glare than the Alpine - almost impossible to see in the daytime. 993 radio position is not the best, almost any modern radio is hard to see - oh for the days of the old Blaupunkts. All said, the KW might actually be a better unit.

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with KW 25th anniversary edition, works perfect. A significant upgrade to the original.

I couldn't find an Alpine that I liked at the time, but no regrets with the KW.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

The only one that works for me is Nakamichi .

Cheers Guy
Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
As noted, I preferrred the Alpine. Kenwood would not work with an older iPod, Alpine does. The **** on the right side of the KW (faaar away from the driver) is finicky and you would end up going into scroll mode instead of just going to the next track if not very careful. KW display is kinda nice, but more glare than the Alpine - almost impossible to see in the daytime. 993 radio position is not the best, almost any modern radio is hard to see - oh for the days of the old Blaupunkts. All said, the KW might actually be a better unit.
I must say, my Alpine has horrible glare and it will not work with an older 3rd gen iPod.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
foxfrc5
Instructor

I have an Alpine CDA-9887 head unit and a small Alpine MRP-F250 4-channel amp. The amp fits nicely under the driver's seat (RHD over here) where the factory booster used to be.

The head unit features time correction and parametric EQ, plus a 24 bit Burr-Brown DAC. The iPod hookup is easy to use and sound quality is comparable to CD. It only works with newer iPods and nanos.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is the 9886. The iPod only alpines may only work with newer iPods.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I got an Alpine in mine. Just installed it at the beginning of this year. I upgraded from an older Alpine that came with the car. I wanted the new one to have a volume **** and not two separate buttons for volume. With the Ipod hookup, the Ipod hides in the ashtray and gets charged while I'm using it. Since I've bought it, I've never even used the CD player yet. It came with a remote, but that's only used by my wife (who likes the feature of being able to use her Ipod when we go somewhere). I looked at the Kenwoods, but from a user standpoint, I liked the Alpines better.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I must say, my Alpine has horrible glare
My Alpine HU does that too. Is there any stereo display that won't have glare when your direct line of sight is to a reflection of the passenger side window as it is on 993s? I'd love to find a head unit where the display is angled toward the driver.

I've also tried a couple of types of anti-glare film, and none of them helped.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually bought RallyJon's Alpine DVA9860. I had to buy the Alpine iPOD adaptor for it (The newer DVA9861 doesn't need the adapter) but ran it into the glove compartment and I love the setup. I've always preferred Alpine over Kenwood.

Quick Reply: Kenwood or Alpine ???