Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surj-993C2S
Summertime...

yes....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

All kidding aside.. when I was doing the system in the Porsche, Alpine only had gray faced units. I wanted to match the black on the dash. I went with an Eclipse.. Built in Sat..a great unit.. 5 channel amp under the passenger seat, And a sub amp up front hidden on top of the spare tire. The sub box is small enough to fit behind the passenger seat, custom made by me , One single 8" .. I still have the stock speakers and it sounds great.Now I'm going to make the Tiptronic buttons on the wheel control the channels and volume.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
foxfrc5
Instructor

If you're going add an amp, then you'll probably want to get new speakers while you're at it. I had some trouble finding a set that would fit the factory speaker covers on the rear parcel shelf but eventually found them at Diamond Audio.

One observation -- I was actually quite surprised at how good a relative inexpensive stereo upgrade can sound in an air-cooled 911. For some reason (maybe it's the awkward positioning of the head unit), you don't get the impression that this car would be a good environment for hifi.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:44 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

What speakers did you get from diamond ??

Jack
Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I went with the Alpine CDA-9886 due to a couple of reasons:

1. I'm replacing an Alpine, so I'm hopeful that the harness will line up and this will be a slide out / slide in exercise. I was able to pop it out pretty easy due to great posts on the site.
2. Alpine has a great reputation and seems to be one of the decks of choice for the 911's.
3. My wife didn't like the two dials on the Kenwood.
4. I think both were about equal so it was more / less a push.

I have the HiFi option, so have the more complicated speaker settup in the doors. I'm going to tackle the stereo first, then upgrade the rest of the system. The speakers in the door are pretty shot, so those are going to have to go. I'm a little concerned how to get something to fit with the "sound box" and keep the stock look on the speakers. But I'm confident I'll figure it out!

Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 AM
foxfrc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by pedsurg

Jack
I think they were either M641 or M341. Will look for the invoice and let you know.

Originally Posted by mstolo
I have the HiFi option, so have the more complicated speaker settup in the doors. I'm going to tackle the stereo first, then upgrade the rest of the system. The speakers in the door are pretty shot, so those are going to have to go. I'm a little concerned how to get something to fit with the "sound box" and keep the stock look on the speakers. But I'm confident I'll figure it out!

Thanks for all the input.
The speakers in the front door aren't a problem to replace. They are a common size and many makes will pop right into those pods. I have some inexpensive Alphasoniks in there, which sound okay but which are a little bit "dry". Will eventually get around to upgrading them at some point.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

or supercups?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my IDA-100. It's got it all: very quick iPod access, Bluetooth, Sirius hookup, and looks good in the dash. There is a lot of glare, though. It should plug and play with the OP's system. (for what its worth, I also run Precision Power amp and fancy-schmancy speakers, with a sub behind the passneger seat.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
henrymug
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smiles
I really like my IDA-100. It's got it all: very quick iPod access, Bluetooth, Sirius hookup, and looks good in the dash. There is a lot of glare, though. It should plug and play with the OP's system. (for what its worth, I also run Precision Power amp and fancy-schmancy speakers, with a sub behind the passneger seat.
any difference between the sound quality between IDA-100, 200 and 300?

I have to chose between them
Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 AM
foxfrc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by pedsurg

Jack
M341

Quick Reply: Kenwood or Alpine ???