Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Missing 4-digit immobilizer key code and dealer can't help, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing 4-digit immobilizer key code and dealer can't help, now what?

Hi all!

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and have learned so much from these forums! Late last month, after months of searching, I purchased my very first Porsche, a 1996 993 Coupe, Guards Red with black interior. The info I gained from these forums was a huge help in my decision. It passed its PPI with no issues at all, and has been everything I dreamed it would be, and much, much more! Thanks for all the great info!

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the only minor concern I had was it came with only one immobilizer key, so I ordered a replacement one from my local Porsche dealer. (I also ordered the Hand Remote Housing, to convert the original switchblade key to a key fob.)

Since the original key code card (with the 4-digit code to reprogram the new immobilizer) is also totally gone, I scheduled an appointment today (no charge) with my local Porsche dealer to have them look up the code in their system, which I understand is the only way for me to retrieve it.

Well, as luck would have it, the dealer was no help at all. They kept insisting that I needed the key code card and that there is no way for them to get the code, not even from Porsche Germany. They were very nice about it, and they did take the time to answer a lot of my other first-time Porsche owner questions, but I am still out of luck with the immobilizer.

What should I do now? Should I try another Porsche dealer? Is this something that a dealer can handle over the phone? Most importantly, does anyone know what exactly the dealer needs to do, on their end, to retrieve an owner's 4-digit key code?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

-Dave
----------------------------
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For proof of ownership, take your vehicle's title and registration to another dealer, who should be able to find the key code for you.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Thanks dmm993 for bringing up this important issue. I, too, just bought a 993--well I'm just waiting for the paperwork--from PA, West Chester to be exact. I have the same issue--the car only has one key I think, and I want to get a new key and remote as well. Keep us posted! Congrats on your new car! Where did you get yours? I am buying mine thru Holt Motorsports.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

A key vin cut from the dealer would cost u over $100. You can get cheaper blanks from Sunset and have a locksmith who can cut steel keys hook ya up.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:09 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmm993
Hi all!

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and have learned so much from these forums! Late last month, after months of searching, I purchased my very first Porsche, a 1996 993 Coupe, Guards Red with black interior. The info I gained from these forums was a huge help in my decision. It passed its PPI with no issues at all, and has been everything I dreamed it would be, and much, much more! Thanks for all the great info!

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the only minor concern I had was it came with only one immobilizer key, so I ordered a replacement one from my local Porsche dealer. (I also ordered the Hand Remote Housing, to convert the original switchblade key to a key fob.)

Since the original key code card (with the 4-digit code to reprogram the new immobilizer) is also totally gone, I scheduled an appointment today (no charge) with my local Porsche dealer to have them look up the code in their system, which I understand is the only way for me to retrieve it.

Well, as luck would have it, the dealer was no help at all. They kept insisting that I needed the key code card and that there is no way for them to get the code, not even from Porsche Germany. They were very nice about it, and they did take the time to answer a lot of my other first-time Porsche owner questions, but I am still out of luck with the immobilizer.

What should I do now? Should I try another Porsche dealer? Is this something that a dealer can handle over the phone? Most importantly, does anyone know what exactly the dealer needs to do, on their end, to retrieve an owner's 4-digit key code?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

-Dave
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black

The dealer has to long on to a PCA database to retrieve the number. You have to be there in person and show proof of ownership.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
A key vin cut from the dealer would cost u over $100. You can get cheaper blanks from Sunset and have a locksmith who can cut steel keys hook ya up.
Actually, when I ordered the Hand Remote Housing from the dealer, I also ordered a spare metal key, cut for my car, and that (the key) works fine, thankfully.

Thanks.

-Dave
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Actually, when I ordered the Hand Remote Housing from the dealer, I also ordered a spare metal key, cut for my car, and that (the key) works fine, thankfully.

Thanks.

-Dave
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
kewl...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like you have a pretty bad dealer out there! Go to another one with all of the immobilizer key fobs you have both new and from the previous owner as they all need to be programmed at the same time. There is a sequence of steps that has to happen before each fob is programmed, once done any key fob that worked on the car before will no longer work. I believe the alarm code can be obtained through the car's computer management system by the dealer. The tech that did my programming wrote the four digits down on my work order for future reference.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Thanks dmm993 for bringing up this important issue. I, too, just bought a 993--well I'm just waiting for the paperwork--from PA, West Chester to be exact. I have the same issue--the car only has one key I think, and I want to get a new key and remote as well. Keep us posted! Congrats on your new car! Where did you get yours? I am buying mine thru Holt Motorsports.
Congrats on yours, too!

You and I followed the exact same plan, almost exactly 1 month apart...I bought mine from Holts and also had my PPI done at Dougherty.

Tim and the gang from Holts were great to work with! I made about 5 visits there and, every time, they were very helpful in answering all of my questions and giving me tons of very helpful first-time Porsche owner advice. The entire transaction, from start to finish, went very smoothly.

Congrats again! Have fun!

-Dave
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Take a look at this thread .... perhaps your module has the stick-on label still attached ( part # 993 618 159 02) - which has the 4 digit code on the lower right.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Congrats on yours, too!

You and I followed the exact same plan, almost exactly 1 month apart...I bought mine from Holts and also had my PPI done at Dougherty.

Tim and the gang from Holts were great to work with! I made about 5 visits there and, every time, they were very helpful in answering all of my questions and giving me tons of very helpful first-time Porsche owner advice. The entire transaction, from start to finish, went very smoothly.

Congrats again! Have fun!

-Dave
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
SWEET! And I am buying a Guards Red Cabriolet! Now I don't feel so bad nagging Tim on the phone every time. Since I'm in Boston, I was only able to make one trip down. It was a quick day trip--thank God airline tickets aren't SUPER expensive yet due to fuel costs!

BTW, Dougherty was able to call Porsche and get my radio code. Maybe I should call them and see if they can get my alarm code, too, and if they can, I'll let you know. I'm hoping they could help you, too.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To prove proof of ownership, I faxed a copy of my insurance card to my local Porsche dealer, and they faxed the code back to me.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Default SOLVED! Missing 4-digit immobilizer key code and dealer can't help, now what?

Well, I am happy to say that my problem with the missing key code is solved!

After my local Porsche dealer could not help me, I decided to call around to my next four closest dealers this morning. I explained my situation each time, in detail, and all four knew exactly what I needed and what they had to do, on their end, to retrieve the code. I also made sure to be honest with them and let them know that they were not my local (closest) dealer. All four were very friendly and helpful.

The first dealer I called said they could help me, but I would need to drive there, and show my title, in person, before they could look up the code. I did not need to bring the 993, just the paperwork for it. It would not have been a problem to drive there (in the Porsche, of course!), but I called the other dealers anyway.

I was shocked when the second dealer I called simply asked me to read off my VIN and they gave me the key card code, right over the phone, in less than a minute. Wow! (I am still not sure sure how I feel about this. )

Thinking that this was too good to be true, I thought it would be good to get a "second opinion", to confirm that the code I was given was correct, so I kept calling.

Dealers #3 & #4 each asked me to fax a copy of my temporary title to them and they would get back to me with the key code, no problem. I faxed them my title with a short cover letter, explaining what I needed.

Well, early this evening, I got a call from the service manager at the last dealer I called and, sure enough, the numbers matched! I had my code!

Before dinner, I went out to my garage and, after two attempts, I successfully reprogrammed my spare immobilizer. I feel much better now, knowing that I have two functional immobilizers, just in case I ever need it.

By the way, the info in these two postings was VERY helpful in getting the programming steps correct:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/195952-setting-remote-control.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/375072-oh-yeah-i-fixed-my-immobilizer-problem.html

THANKS to everyone, for the great advice! As a first-time Porsche owner, I really appreciate it!

-Dave
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 PM
jrslacy
3rd Gear

Perfect.... I also just got my first 993. Its a Silver Targa. Well.... its actually my wifes, but so far, it has exceeded my expectations. I love this car. And I think I want another. It also came with only one key. I went to dealer the other day, and bought a couple extra keys. Got home to start the programming process, and then realized that my 4 digit code...... well..... thought I had it in the book, but only the radio number is written down. I guess I will start calling some dealers. I hope I have the same luck you had.
Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

dmm993, sorry I forgot to report in! I took mine to the local Porsche dealership, and they looked up my code and programmed the spare fob for me for a small fee. All I showed them was my registration, which they didn't really need.

Quick Reply: Missing 4-digit immobilizer key code and dealer can't help, now what?