Sponsored by:

Setting remote control

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:39 PM
B Burnham
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting remote control

I just picked up a '97 cab last week and I am now finding out all kinds of fun things. The car only came with one key, so I went in to the local dealer to get another key ( since I am always losing my keys) and after several hours they told me that they were unable to reset the new transmitter. They then told me to take it home and maybe I could set it myself. I was kind of surprised, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what I can do. I just sent in my membership today so I hope I don't ask to many silly questions in the near future.

Brent
Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
flyenby
Instructor

If you search the archives there is plenty of info on this topic. Also check the owners maunual it also gives the procedure to program the remotes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 PM
rkass
Racer

Brent welcome aboard. Just to let you know you will get blasted by those who have been around on board a lot for not doing search first before posting. Of course even if you do search you may get blasted but don't take it personally, some people just express themselves differently. If you click on search, advanced, type in program remote in keyword and select 993 forum, you will come up with pages on how to fix your problem.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 PM
B Burnham
AutoX

I figured that there would be information already out there, but I can't figure how to get to the archived information
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I had that problem. It was caused by a fault in the alarm system.

Make sure your lock/alarm system is working properly. It won't go into the program mode if the alarm self test doesn't pass.

When you lock the car with the remote you should get some quick flashes then it will go to a steady single flash. If you get a double flash then there is a problem with the alarm system.

Did the dealer give you a key code?

There are some procedures floating around on the boards. I couldn't get them to work but the procedure in the repair manual worked.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:56 PM
B Burnham
AutoX

They did give me the code and I tried to follow the info in the manual, but I could never get the warning light to flash. I t would be on, then go off for about 10 seconds , then come on again and just stay on.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:00 AM
flyenby
Instructor

In one of the posts in the archives, someone talks about fuse #11, in the fuse as being the one that controls the programming.......not really sure as I am about to try the programing myself. Good luck
Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
B Burnham
AutoX

hoggel,

It's nice to see that you are in SLC, that is where I am also located. I was having trouble finding a car in Salt Lake and had to go to So. Cal to find one.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:22 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Ya hey, finally someone local. I got my car from Chicago. If you can't get this to work come on over.

This is what worked for me after I fixed the two different problems with my alarm (plagiarized from the repair manual):

1. Unlock the car with the remote and wait at least 3 minutes for the immobilizer to prime.

2. Switch the ignition on. The warning light (looks like a remote symbol) in the clock will go on and then off after 15 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and on again within 5 seconds. The warning light in the clock will light up and start to flash after 15 seconds.

4. Start to enter the key code within 5 seconds. Enter the code by turning the key off-on for each digit of the code. Wait for the warning light in the clock to come back on between each digit of the code. For example: 1302

1 = ignition off-on
wait for warning light to come on
3 = ignition off-on, off-on, off-on
0= ignition off-on (10 times)
2=ignition off-on, off-on

5. If the number was entered correctly the warning light will flash after the last digit is entered. When the light is flashing the remote can be programmed and MUST be programmed within one minute.

6. Press the button on the remote until the LED of the alarm system flashes. Operate all the remotes one after the other, wait for the LED to flash after each.

7. When all of the remotes are programmed (no more than 4) switch the ignition off.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Brent, not a silly question. Welcome.
hoggel, nice color and body style choice. Your write-up somewhat parallels page 22 or thereabouts in the manual, but not verbatim. Did you get it from the manual?
The manual does not sufficiently emphasize that, after you are finished with remote #1, you have a limited time to start doing remote #2, as well as each susequent remote.
I have found this is about a 12 minute procedure the second time around. Brent, you should question the dealer's ability to do mechanical work on your car if they could not figure this one out after several hours.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And here's hoping your key code is not 9899 :-)

Vic
95 C4
Old 04-07-2005, 08:58 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Terry, thanks. My car was a bit neglected when I got it but it has cleaned up nice. I'm happy with it (except I keep wishing it was a 6 speed).

I have the Porsche repair manuals (8 vols). The procedure above is a paraphrased version of what is in the repair manual.

I asked the dealer here in Salt Lake to program the remote I got off ebay. There is only one dealer in SLC so it's probably the same one B Burnham went to. Anyway, my alarm was not working properly so they couldn't program the remote. They told me that they would have to troubleshoot the system and couldn't provide an estimate. I thought that was a bit off so I told them I would fix the alarm myself, they gave me the key code, and I was outta there. It took me about two weeks of fiddling around to figure out just how the alarm is supposed to work and to find the two seperate problems with it. I'm glad I didn't pay the dealer to do it. Once the alarm was fixed I tried a couple of remote programming procedures from the web but I couldn't get them to work. Finally I looked in the repair manual and found the procedure above.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
B Burnham
AutoX

Thanks for all the input. I quess at this point I'm just gonna have to spend some time with it.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
Ya hey, finally someone local. I got my car from Chicago. If you can't get this to work come on over.

This is what worked for me after I fixed the two different problems with my alarm (plagiarized from the repair manual):

1. Unlock the car with the remote and wait at least 3 minutes for the immobilizer to prime.

2. Switch the ignition on. The warning light (looks like a remote symbol) in the clock will go on and then off after 15 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and on again within 5 seconds. The warning light in the clock will light up and start to flash after 15 seconds.

4. Start to enter the key code within 5 seconds. Enter the code by turning the key off-on for each digit of the code. Wait for the warning light in the clock to come back on between each digit of the code. For example: 1302

1 = ignition off-on
3 = ignition off-on, off-on, off-on
0= ignition off-on (10 times)
2=ignition off-on, off-on

5. If the number was entered correctly the warning light will flash after the last digit is entered. When the light is flashing the remote can be programmed and MUST be programmed within one minute.

6. Press the button on the remote until the LED of the alarm system flashes. Operate all the remotes one after the other, wait for the LED to flash after each.

7. When all of the remotes are programmed (no more than 4) switch the ignition off.
Quick, belated thanks to hoggel for posting this procedure. I just saved $95 vs. going to the stealer! Reward =

I reviewed and practiced all of the other techniques: Owners Manual, Robin's and even Dan's Cheat Sheet. This one worked like a charm for me. The biggest difference is that you can skip the first few lock/unlock/open door/shut door steps. I also recall that there may be some variation with the 3 minute and 15 second intervals, so don't use a stopwatch, just work smoothly and deliberately and go by what you see and hear.

Just unlock with the remote, make a leisurely entry to the driver's seat, shut the door, relax, and wait 'till you hear the Immobilizer "prime" (click). Please don't totally re-arm the system, or your alarm will go off when you put the key in! Still no rush. Once you switch the iginition on for the first time (step 2. above) things start to pick up speed.

You might want to practice the "off-on" motion. It's actually a wide turn from "2" (right before starter) back to "0" (key in, doing nothing). Position "1" is "radio" and has no role in this process. You pass right through that detent when entering your code.

Was also a little confused about multiple remotes, but it only takes a second or two for the door LED to acknowledge each success. I seem to recall that it goes out after you release to button on each transmitter.

Good Luck!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin's web site mentioned in post #14 is at
www.p-car.com
Lots of great DIY info.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Setting remote control