Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Missing 4-digit immobilizer key code and dealer can't help, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What should I do now? Should I try another Porsche dealer?

Absolutely try another dealer. I walked into Clair Porsche(Boston area) a month after I bought my (new to me)car, showed them my MA registration and they gave me the 4-digit code in less than 1 minute.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coltj
Absolutely try another dealer. I walked into Clair Porsche(Boston area) a month after I bought my (new to me)car, showed them my MA registration and they gave me the 4-digit code in less than 1 minute.

Good luck.
You probably missed the post stating that he finally found a few dealerships that were willing to help, and he now has the code and a spare immobilizer.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did any of the dealers ask if you knew how many remotes were already programmed?

I've read that only a limited number of remotes can be programmed.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by canysmc
Did any of the dealers ask if you knew how many remotes were already programmed?

I've read that only a limited number of remotes can be programmed.
Mine did not. They only told me that the labor fee included any and all remotes that I brought to them.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
You probably missed the post stating that he finally found a few dealerships that were willing to help, and he now has the code and a spare immobilizer.
Alas, so it would appear!!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrslacy
Perfect.... I also just got my first 993. Its a Silver Targa. Well.... its actually my wifes, but so far, it has exceeded my expectations. I love this car. And I think I want another. It also came with only one key. I went to dealer the other day, and bought a couple extra keys. Got home to start the programming process, and then realized that my 4 digit code...... well..... thought I had it in the book, but only the radio number is written down. I guess I will start calling some dealers. I hope I have the same luck you had.
Thanks for all the info.
Hi and congrats! Welcome to the club.

Definitely try calling other dealers. It took me a few attempts to find one that would help me with the code. As I noted above, the one that finally gave it to me, gave it to me over the phone, no questions asked.

Once you get the magic code, the actual programming is pretty easy.

As for the number of remotes that are programmable, I believe that the immobilizer only supports four remotes in use at one time. If, by chance, you ever exceed the four total, I also believe you can reset all of them and start the programming all over from scratch. The odds of this ever happening are hopefully very slim, of course.

Good luck, have fun and congrats again!

-Dave
----------------------------
1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Informative post.

I only have (1) new fob that I use regularly and an old original switchblade in a drawer somewhere. I want to keep the one original switchblade intact. I.E.--don't want to tear it apart to convert to the new fob like I did with the other switchblade.

So my question is can I get another newer style fob with the electronic guts in it so I can program it as my safe second back up?

Assuming I can where is the best place and how much?? Sunset??

Thanks,
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Informative post.

I only have (1) new fob that I use regularly and an old original switchblade in a drawer somewhere. I want to keep the one original switchblade intact. I.E.--don't want to tear it apart to convert to the new fob like I did with the other switchblade.

So my question is can I get another newer style fob with the electronic guts in it so I can program it as my safe second back up?

Assuming I can where is the best place and how much?? Sunset??

Thanks,
Mark, I got my backup key fob from the local the dealer. The bad news is that the total cost including the programming was around $200. Maybe there's a less expensive option, I'm not sure.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
jrslacy
3rd Gear

Well, I just got my title to the car in the mail, and made my phone call to the closest dealer. The lady was very nice, and only asked that I fax proof of ownership to her. Called me back in just a short amount of time, and gave me my number. Plan to try the process tonight. Wish me luck. Also.... My numbers are not low I was hoping for a 1111, but instead........ not nice.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:08 PM
jrslacy
3rd Gear

Ok.... well the code they gave me did not work.... but I was able to look on the unit under the seat, and it did have a 4 digit code on it. Tried it, and worked perfect. So I guess maybe my unit must have been changed out.... Or the dealer gave me the wrong number.

Also when putting in the code. I had to only switch back to the middle position and back to the on position. If I went all the way off.... It did not work. I now have three remotes working. I did convert my old swith blade to the newer style, I bought one new one, and one new switch blade. They all worked just fine.

Thanks again for all the information provided.

Quick Reply: Missing 4-digit immobilizer key code and dealer can't help, now what?