Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 10

[Due to page-break, recommend seeing previous DIY steps on page 1]

Try to preplan your carpet cuts in advance.

I had not made X cuts on the front bolts, so this may have resulted in more carpet cutting than was necessary.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 11

All of this area will be / is covered by the RSD deck, so I have not replaced the carpet – yet. You can buy replacement OEM carpeting by the yard from World Upholstery, etc. (no affiliation).

The seat bottoms are simply glued in. I did not remove mine and the cubby space is not drastically reduced – plus your stuff gets a bit of padding during transport.

Also, some RSD kits come w/ microswitches that tie into the alarm system. If the alarm is armed and the cubby doors are opened the alarm sounds. Mine did not have the switches so I don’t know how the alarm connection is made.

As stated before the RSD deck covers up most all of the cut carpeting and if you have a windstop the three small carpet cuts at the very rear will not be seen. That being said I will likely get carpet to recover the cuts underneath the deck.

At this point, put the top down, and lower your windows, it will make getting the deck in easier.

Carefully remove the LH and RH Cab. arm covers and disconnect the rear speakers. Set aside the cover / speakers.

Before attempting to install the deck, make sure the LH - RH attaching brackets are loosely bolted to the bottom of the deck.

Grab the deck and place it in the rear of the car. Push it as far back as possible.

Align the RSD brackets with the seat belt attachment point and reinstall the seat belt bolts
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 12

This part of the install was the most difficult for me. The problem was getting the bracket to align at the bottom so the seat belt attaching bolt could be threaded in.

As you can see in the following picture, the bracket is secured by a single nut at the top. In order to properly attach the top with two nuts, I will need to make a sub arm at the bottom to easily attach the seat belt bolt.

The following users liked this post:
carlvs (08-10-2023)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 13

Once installed, you can easily place a couple of roller type carry on bags and take off for the weekend.

After fixing the huge speaker voids, my next purchase will be some nice leather straps and brass buckles for tie downs.

The whole DIY can be done in a few hours, hope this helps

Above text & photos by RLer Howdy993 (Howard). I didn't fully realize this 'til after I'd converted the info from a PDF documented & posted elsewhere; I only realized it was great info that may help others.
The following users liked this post:
carlvs (08-10-2023)
Old 10-03-2015, 02:00 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A RLer brought it to my attention that images #9 & 10 currently aren't loading.

I dusted off my computer & found them from 5.5 years ago to re-upload:
Originally Posted by curve lover

Once all the bolts have been removed, you will need to carefully cut the carpeting and fill padding to remove the Rear Seat frame.

In the front section there is a large amount of foam that is attached to the metal frame yoke.

Separate this foam from the frame carefully, then remove the frame.

Originally Posted by curve lover

Try to preplan your carpet cuts in advance.

I had not made X cuts on the front bolts, so this may have resulted in more carpet cutting than was necessary.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:02 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A RLer brought it to my attention that images #9 & 10 currently aren't loading.

I dusted off my laptop & found them to re-upload:
Even better: attached is RLer Howdy993 (Howard)'s PDF document!
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete DIY