Oil leak! Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd993
Allfy and all,

Don't want to hijack this thread but I'm into day 2 on an oil leak diagnosis. I could use help on a couple items. If its bad form to post similar items on someone elses thread let me know...

1) I need recommendation for someone we can trust for regular mechanical services in Burlingame CA

2) I had the car in for full service recently around 40K miles on it... 3 weeks later I had a lot of oil on the garage floor after a trip away for a week of no driving...

Dealership says the oil is leaking from 2 possibly 3 locations...
- The distributor seal?
- Left side valve cover?
- Possibly the chain case but per your note above they think it might be dripping down or blow back from the other two sources...

i got a price of approx $1400 for just taking care of the first two...
couple of questions... aside from finding the time to get someone else to look at it or doing it myself...

QUESTIONS
1) Is there anything else i want these guys to do while they're in there? i mean for almost $1500 to change what amounts to 2 seals i should be able to get some other items handled while they are in there..

2) Dave - can you clarify the orientation of the engine is the chain cover closer to the rear bumper or on the other side of the engine closer to the back seats/front of the car? its important to help me understand if its possible that valve cover oil is dripping down or blowing back and masking it appear to cover from the chain case.. i'm not clear on porsche lingo since the engine is in the back... where is the front of the engine :-)

3) is there really that much labor in just these first two items

4) are any of these parts touched during a major service w/ plugs etc. the cars been bullet proof until... i decided to go in there and have some service done... seems a little odd that now i've got some issues after having some strangers muck around in there.
$1350 seems pretty steep for just these two seals. I can do both valve cover seals by myself in 2-3 hours. Not sure how long it might take for the distributor seals though.

The chain cover is at the back of the car (closer to the rear bumper).

You should be able to tell where the leak is coming from if you clean the bottom of the engine well and get a good look soon after. As others have pointed out, the Porsche dealers aren't so good at servicing our air cooled cars now. I don't know the indies in the Peninsula, but I have a couple of recommendations if you don't mind coming over to the East Bay.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 AM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey mike PM me or post your recommendations.

i would like to know how to do those valve covers myself. $900 was the quote for 1 valve cover seal. crazy i think.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Here is the link to DIY page on p-car.com:

http://p-car.com/diy/valvecover/

I pretty much followed these instructions when I replaced mine. You'll need a good set of hex keys/sockets to get the old bolts out. You should get new bolts along with new gaskets. I would be happy to lend you a hand if you don't mind driving all the way to the East Bay.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow - very generous. im short on time this month so i'll probably let the dealer hose me.. but i may take you up on that when it comes time to do the other side.

with the amount of work i seem to do on this car - most of it planned some of it not.. like the leak etc. i think i'm going to shop for a 3rd car next month. i've been using this one to commute a few miles to the office but its not working out as the daily driver...

so far...
did the top
wheels
suspension
seats
steering wheel, shifter, brake
gaskets (now)
probably will do the nose/front bumperete delete
may need to do the chain case
would like to try the LWF and was thiking about a new ECU/remap at the same time

this is out of hand. i know now how it all happened to michael jackson.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

2nd993, you have a PM.

Quick Reply: Oil leak! Help