Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 95 Owners---Does your 95 Stall with a LWF?
Never
30.30%
Sometimes---every now and then
69.70%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

95 OWNERS--DOES YOUR LWF CAUSE STALLING

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
For those of you having stalling troubles, try to learn to push in the clutch at the last possible moment, in other words, as close to idle RPM as possible. This helps!
Chris,

You are absolutely right, this will definitely prevent stalling. My trouble is during aggressive turning when I'm downshifting quickly while making a turn. A blip of the throttle prevents a stall, but sometimes I forget!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Dude... you've been running that light all this time?
There's photo enforcement now. You'll probably just get your tickets in the mail...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basic statistics state that your likelyhood of having a stall in a 95 with a LWF is pretty high. 13 out of 20 experience stalls so far according to the poll.

The problem is known and statistics are in favor of the possibilty of a stall. One could state, today, that you have a 65% chance of stalling by going with a LWF solution on a 95.

I wouldnt never say dont get a LWF to anyone. I like the performance but I dont care for the stall. There is the trade off, for some, in this upgrade. Yes, I know learned how to adjust my driving habits to avoid the stall (I know the lazy push at higher RPM's can trigger a stall) but sometimes you just cant, or dont, follow protocall. Its so much better to drive, relax, and think about anything. After 4.5 years of having the LWF, I know the reasons and conditions behind the likelyhood of stalling. Lights on, lights off, lights on in combination of AC, ect, ect. And most of the time I do but every now and then that little devil on on my shoulder says "do you think you will stall today?" Sometime that **** just pops up in ones head. If you have a 95 and get that occasional stall, you probably know what Im talking about.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 06-27-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

This is heresy, but I honestly don't think the LWF is worth the hassle. You get some fairly loud gear rattle and the stalling issue. Did I notice a performance improvement? Nah, not really. Everybody hypes this up, but I think it's mostly a dud.

If I never had stalling, I might not be saying this, but IMHO stalling is just not acceptable in a street driven car.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

If there comes a time when the clutch needs to be replaced, Im back to a dual mass.

I agree 100% that stalling is not acceptable in a street driven car.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I, too, think the performance benefits of the LWF are fairly modest . . . but you won't see me giving it up for a DMF. On the track, every little bit helps.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Sure, on a racecar it's a must-have.

There are some cars that really need a LWF, e.g. my 2003 Audi A4 and the 350Z. The 993 is not one of those cars.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine stalled 4-5 times yesterday alone on the street.... it makes some pretty interesting driving at night.

Car stalles.
Turn key off, headlights turn off, pitch black, still rolling.
Starting car, headlights still off, Still pitch black, dont see where I'm going.
Engine starts, headlights back on, finally see where I'm going.
Yaaay, that was fun.

I came to a few intersections where there was so much wind noise I did not even realized the engine stalled until I went to take off and I look at my tach and its at 0 and all the gauge lights were on.... darn thing stalled again ......
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by herman maire
mine stalled 4-5 times yesterday alone on the street.... it makes some pretty interesting driving at night.

Car stalles.
Turn key off, headlights turn off, pitch black, still rolling.
Starting car, headlights still off, Still pitch black, dont see where I'm going.
Engine starts, headlights back on, finally see where I'm going.
Yaaay, that was fun.

I came to a few intersections where there was so much wind noise I did not even realized the engine stalled until I went to take off and I look at my tach and its at 0 and all the gauge lights were on.... darn thing stalled again ......
I have to add the immobilzer factor into the mix of of things when I stall. I was experiencing the same issues as you when I firts had the LWF installed. Based on theory,research, and feedback, tweeking your idle with the lights and AC on MAY help matters. Maybe around 800rpms. If you havent chipped it, I would suggest a Rennsport chip.

I wonder why others with 95s are not getting stalls? Please share any secrets like idle speed or some remedy.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:15 AM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

but I honestly don't think the LWF is worth the hassle
+1 Since being on Rennlist I haven't seen a good point made of having a LWF for a street car. IMHO
Old 06-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Even when starting, after sitting for a day, the RPMs will dip, go up, dip, go up, dip go up for about 10 seconds and the idle will level out.
When was the last time you cleaned out your idle stabilization valve or ISV? It may not change anything, but it is such an easy DIY (even if you are not a DIY person) it's worth trying.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I wonder why others with 95s are not getting stalls? Please share any secrets like idle speed or some remedy.
Steve Weiner has stated that a vacuum leak somewhere in a car will make it more prone to stalling. I had every conceivable gasket, tube, etc...replaced when my top end was rebuilt, and I still get the occasional stall.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:54 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
When was the last time you cleaned out your idle stabilization valve or ISV? It may not change anything, but it is such an easy DIY (even if you are not a DIY person) it's worth trying.
The ISV was cleaned out with my 60k tune last spring. A block away from the shop when I picked it up, it stalled. It was just great driving off after doing about $5k in tune, misc fixes, and a suspension upgrade to only stall a block away. Which reminds me, I should clean it out again.

The consistency with the stall has been the same since day one--even with a cleaned ISV. I couldnt say its been any more or any less since the ISV cleaning. Sometimes it wont happen for weeks, sometimes back to back, sometimes a couple of times a drive.

Just one of those things I have at for years and just dealing with it the best way I can.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:52 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Cleaning out the ISV did nothing for me either. AFAIK, there's no reason that a Rennsport / GIAC chip should help with the stalling. Certainly didn't help me.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 95 with a LTW flywheel and a Rennsport chip. It does stall, but only once very 6 month or something like that. What I noticed is that the car stalls only in ONE SPECIFIC situation. The car stalls ONLY if I am in gear driving, back off the gas completely while in gear, and then depress the clutch. In that case, the car RPM will drop freely and very low. The car catches this most of the time, but once in a while, it stalls.

What I suspect happening is that the ECU shuts off fuel supply when it senses the throttle is backed off. When clutch is depressed, the LTW causes the RPM to drop and the ISV is not able to catch it. I don't remember if the AC was on when the car stalls or not.

Anyway, recovery is pretty quick. Press clutch, put in gear, pop clutch!!! BAM!!! Car is running again.

Quick Reply: 95 OWNERS--DOES YOUR LWF CAUSE STALLING